Highlighted
2 Iron

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

Jump to solution

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by<TOU> , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 9570 Audio Crackling and Popping

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
422 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

I got mine 1 week ago, and I'm affected by this issue.

Somehow seems random, but time to time it happens when I'm playing and stopping audio several times.

Hope we can find a solution to this.

cheers

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi All

I'm writing from Italy and I 've the same poblem, the technical support changed the motherboard and the speaker but the issue is still there 😞

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Oh man you wouldn't need to change anything because I'm also suffering from same issue & I think that is some type of glitch in new update of Windows 10 because I purchased a Inspiron 3 days ago & suffering from the same issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue and I'm extremely disappointed. I got my laptop just yesterday and when I started playing videos in youtube I hear this strange crackling sound. I don't know why this is even happening. I followed the workaround solution posted by someone to right click on the volume icon in the bottom and turn on Spatial Sound(Windows sonic for headphones) but it comes back again!!! Did any of you talk to DELL customer service? Will I get a replacement if I talk to Dell customer service regarding this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem... I bought one xps 15 in New Jersey and bringht it to BCN and now I realise about the issue. 

Hope Dell can give us a solution, pls report the fix if someone knows.

Thank you guys, you are not alone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

There isn't any solution, I believe.  XPS has many faulty laptops. I bought new xps 2 in 1 and replaced 4 times, every time brand new from official store and all 4 dell xps has exactly the same issue. I have tried different stores as well just in case one store has stock with issues but no help. Every time it worked fine for a day or two. If I keep using audio/Video for more than 30-40 minutes, it starts crackling. Crackling is more without power cable plugged and if many applications are open. It's same with headfones and external speakers as well.

I, finally returned it back and got my money refunded. It's a great laptop otherwise and just this problem make it worst. i am still searching alternative to XPS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It's so disappointing that we as customets spend so much money in trusting dell and dell us even not bothered to reply or try to fix this problem. There are 100s of people facing this issues despite spending 2000+ dollars !! PATHETIC CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Agreed - a few months later, and it looks like people are still having the same issues. I was on the phone with a Dell support rep for 1.5 hours last week - he was great, but I had to install an older driver ( v6.0.1.8603 (A04)) - it worked fine for a few days - then it went back to the same issues. Some videos, it sounds like the laptop is submerged. I really don't want to take this back for a MacBook Pro, but I'm at my wit's end. It looks like an exchange won't solve this issue. I just can't believe a product that has so much going for it has something this glaringly bad. It's not like it's an edge-case scenario - most people use audio. How did this pass a phalanx of QA staff? 

2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I had the same audio popping issue, since day 1.

Scrolling down a twitter page is the perfect test: nothing happens when you scroll down images of course but at soon as there's a video, the browser sends the info to the OS, and "POP!" here comes the sound of your sound card turning on. "" POP POP". That's your sound card turning off. Rinse and repeat.

You can find people complaining about this since 2017. Call Dell tech support and they behave like it's all new to them and ...don't have a fix.

That tells what this company has become. They used to have top CS and tech support. Now they're like anyone else.

0 Kudos