Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

11 Posts

March 27th, 2019 17:00

I spoke too soon.  It was working for hours before I posted and then somehow right after I posted the static is back...of course!  I hate this thing!

11 Posts

March 27th, 2019 17:00

March 27th, 2019 22:00

I installed yesterday a new Dell Realtek update through Dell assistant tool...this morning right now still have noise distorsions....this does not seem to be fixed properly...

281 Posts

March 28th, 2019 04:00

1 Message

March 31st, 2019 19:00

I had this issue with my xps 9570 that was a refurbished system from eBay. It seemed to get worse daily. I would do the temporary fix of switching the maxxaudio mode for spacial sound on/off. Got to the point that it would only work a minute before starting to crackle. Literally nails on a chalkboard. I sacrificed a usb port and got a creative labs usb soundblaster adapter that temporarily solved it for editing in my office until FINALLY this last bios and realtek driver update seemed to fix it for me. I've done three 8 hours days of Adobe Premiere editing and audio was solid. Seems like it even sounds a little better too. Hope everyone else has the same outcome with the update.

March 31st, 2019 20:00

I have the same issue with a brand new Dell XPS 15 9575 

When I contact tech support they act as if this issue is related to just me.  It is sad when even Dell doesn't know about their own issues and we are expected to post here or search on Google for a solution to a brand new computer.

Not being able to use headphones is a very serious issue when it comes to needing a laptop for travel.  

So far tech support has just thrown on the bandaid approach but refuses to actually fix the issue and asking us to send in a brand new laptop to be repaired is borderline stupidity.  Just give me a working computer, please.

It has been weeks with this new computer and I numerous issues:

1. The fan kicks on when you go into tent mode or 180 degrees folded on the way to tablet mode. It does this like an on and off switch and very annoying.  Fold it to almost tablet mode and the fan kicks on, fold it out of tablet mode and the fan kicks off.  Rolling back to the older bios is their ridiculous bandaid fix (which causes other issues).

2.  Using the audio jack causes static sounding noise in the left earbuds (might be both but I notice it on the left with Bose headphones, Sony earbuds, and Samsung earbuds.  All get that noise.  Hard to tell with speakers as I don't turn them up that loud but obvious with anything plugged into the jack.

3. When using older bios to bandaid the above you then get a warning about the charger being incompatible.  Then you also get a constant icon over the battery icon showing a warning symbol - yay.

4. Dell support assists constantly lists the graphics driver as a recommended update no matter how many times I update it - it is still in the list: Intel HD Graphics 630 376.31 MB 25.20.100.6373

5. When tech support tries to fix the above and you rollback then the touchpad no longer works with the three finger desktop and program switch.  So they fix one issue and don't care that they create a new one.  That is not a solution.  

Where is DELL?  I don't want their lame tech support.  I want DELL itself to deal with this.

Is there actually someone from DELL that is familiar with the XPS 15 2-in1 that can tell us HONESTLY if this is something they know how to fix?  If not, I want a REFUND.  I don't want a bandaid fix for a brand new computer.

April 2nd, 2019 10:00

I am running out of patience. Since the update I got the 27/03/2019 it has gone worse. Before it was sporadic problems but now it is 100% all the time. The sound is distorted, I would say low tones/background are the ones that sound bad, but not sure. I have made a video to show this:

https://youtu.be/gS3xUaAWhLA

That is supposed to be wind even in my mobile phone it can be heard properly.

I am thinking about asking for a refund. Anyone knows if that is possible? I guess if I am within the first year guarantee it should be possible, right?

42 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 18:00

I would also like a refund. But after some days (30 days in some countries and in other less) I think is not possible. Here in Brazil it is seven days after purchase.

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 22:00

This laptop has simply made me miserable. I had a post about (thanks DELL) .I ask again if anyone knows if we can do , because it was a defective expensive device, which could not be fixed in months. I would get a refund the 1st week but I am in a country (Armenia) with no Dell store or support center. I emailed them, sent a msg on Reddit and here l, but it seems my money is gone. They don't even want to compensate in any way .if it was a proper company with the some respect for customers they would treat us different. Sound is a fundamental issue that makes it unusable. I don't care about minor issues, just make the **bleep** device usable

42 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 02:00

Frank Azor from Dell said on Twitter today that they are working on a new Bios to come in the next 14 days, and that should fix most root causes for audio problems. Let's see..

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1113058953531777026?s=20

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 11:00

I suppose I should not install BIOS 1.8.1 that was just released on 2/27 and wait for this next one?  I've been backing up in preparation to try 1.8.1, which some have recently said fixed the audio static.  Curious what others are doing.  Thanks

@RGBR wrote:

Frank Azor from Dell said on Twitter today that they are working on a new Bios to come in the next 14 days, and that should fix most root causes for audio problems. Let's see..

April 3rd, 2019 16:00

Was wondering if anyone installed the latest cumulative Windows 10 patch released today and if it made difference or not.  Supposedly some audio issues were fixed:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/03/windows-10-1809-kb4490481-the-missing-patch-arrives-finally/ 

11 Posts

April 6th, 2019 07:00

So I've discovered the strangest thing (Dell please take note!).  If I have the "Sound" dialog box open (the one accessed through the Control Panel with the Playback, Recording, Sounds, Communications tabs) I do not get any audio errors.  Once this dialog box is closed (via any method 'OK', 'Cancel', or 'X') the audio distortion returns.

I have tested this multiple times and replicated the results.  Clearly there is a link between the audio dialog box and the audio issues.  This doesn't really solve anything other than that I can leave this dialog box open to fix the audio static.  But at least it seems to narrow down the issue and hopefully will help with a resolution.

1 Message

April 7th, 2019 21:00

You can solve this issue by uninstalling your audio driver and reinstalling it. use this link 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fmm28&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

11 Posts

April 8th, 2019 09:00

@haminya wrote:

You can solve this issue by uninstalling your audio driver and reinstalling it. use this link 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fmm28&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

I'll give this a try tonight.  I installed BIOS update 1.8.1 last night and it did not fix the audio issues.

No Events found!