Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

April 8th, 2019 21:00

Agreed - a few months later, and it looks like people are still having the same issues. I was on the phone with a Dell support rep for 1.5 hours last week - he was great, but I had to install an older driver ( v6.0.1.8603 (A04)) - it worked fine for a few days - then it went back to the same issues. Some videos, it sounds like the laptop is submerged. I really don't want to take this back for a MacBook Pro, but I'm at my wit's end. It looks like an exchange won't solve this issue. I just can't believe a product that has so much going for it has something this glaringly bad. It's not like it's an edge-case scenario - most people use audio. How did this pass a phalanx of QA staff? 

11 Posts

April 9th, 2019 05:00

The latest Realtek driver update fixed it for me! Thanks @haminya for posting yesterday.

This is an "urgent" update that was released yesterday, 4/8. I still need some longer term testing but so far so good! Fingers crossed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fmm28&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

April 9th, 2019 09:00

Hey SergioXPS9570, I was wondering if your problem got solved by switching out the WiFi card? My WiFi drops roughly every 3 to 5 minutes and I am bout to lose my sh*t. I need it for work and school and I am literally ready to scream. 

Thx.

April 10th, 2019 20:00

Thanks for the link Wooglin.  I tried this update and it seems to have taken cared of the crackling and popping.  Not sure if its just my imagination, but the sound seems low compared to the crackling and popping.  I feel I have to raise the volume up higher than usual.  

1 Message

April 11th, 2019 03:00

Sorry for just jumping in without reading all posts, but 34 pages. :Huh?:

Has any of you with the crackling/distortion got MaxxAudioPro? (I assume it came pre-installed) I just randomly/frantically tried turning off as much as possible in an effort to be able to use the sound on this piece of :Dog: and found that turning off the MaxxBase made it 100 x better, if not simply acceptable!

Does it work for anyone else?

11 Posts

April 11th, 2019 11:00

@cfmatre wrote:

Has any of you with the crackling/distortion got MaxxAudioPro? (I assume it came pre-installed) I just randomly/frantically tried turning off as much as possible in an effort to be able to use the sound on this piece of :Dog: and found that turning off the MaxxBase made it 100 x better, if not simply acceptable!

Does it work for anyone else?

I didn't even realize I have MaxxAudioPro or I would have tried fiddling with it a while ago.  I'm afraid to mess with it at all since the recent Realtek driver update fixed my issues.  But its good to know there are some more levers to pull.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2019 09:00

@Wooglin wrote:

The latest Realtek driver update fixed it for me! Thanks @haminya for posting yesterday.

This is an "urgent" update that was released yesterday, 4/8. I still need some longer term testing but so far so good! Fingers crossed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fmm28&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

Can anyone confirm that this driver works? I'd like to get more opinions before installing another driver that might destroy my audio again.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2019 10:00

I've had some standard dell updates just recently. For some reason crackling seems to have gone, but my sound quality deteriorated A LOT. Anyone else having an issue like this? Especially bass sounds very unbalanced and sound goes up and down randomly...

3 Posts

April 16th, 2019 17:00

I had the same problem that's been mentioned on this entire thread since I bought this laptop around October last year, it noticed it hadn't happened for while (a few weeks) but now I have a continuous base level rumbling with occasional crackles and pops that doesn't go away from restarting.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 00:00

Tried a bunch of things to fix this issue with my 9570 but nothing worked - until I found this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6nt3ch/kevin_shroffs_modded_realtek_audio_drivers_for/

Following this also removes the Maxx Audio bloatware and it's a good idea for anyone using their XPS for music production since it gives a much flatter, more natural sound - unless you install EqualizerAPO or Viper. Better to have the option than not tho!

Latest version and slightly updated instructions here, currently 3.02: https://github.com/kevinshroff/KSMRD-Modded-Realtek-Audio-Drivers

Make sure you have your BitLocker Recovery Key handy if using it - Windows will ask a few times while you have Secure Boot disabled during installation.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 00:00

I had to do this to get EqualizerAPO working: https://bradshacks.com/fix-equalizer-apo-windows-10/

So much better than the standard Dell driver + Waves.

Capture.PNG

42 Posts

April 19th, 2019 23:00

Frank Azor from Dell said on twitter that a Bios update to be released in the first week of May will virtually eliminate DPC latency problems. Let´s wait and see: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1119098780731576320

1 Message

April 30th, 2019 12:00

Not according to the Latency Checker that's peddled in this post.  Before update (on 1.8.1)

After update (1.10.1)

System was idle after rebooting for at least five minutes before running test.

April 30th, 2019 13:00

After updating the bios, latency mon does read the system as being able to play audio with no drop outs. All green. However it seems now that, with certain songs with a lot of bass, the low freq dips out noticeably.

I'll take this issue over the pops and crackling though, for now. Really sad this still isn't technically fixed completely.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

April 30th, 2019 23:00

These are my values after 1.10 update, and they look good.

5 mins run with cpu idling and max performance settings.

dpc.PNG

I'll run a few tests with my DAW as well.

No Events found!