XPS

Last reply by 03-28-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Iron

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by<TOU> , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

Replies (422)

@pherrman wrote:

Thanks Copper this fix worked for me too!!

So what I did was:

1: Disable waves audio service in msconfig

2: Uninstalled Waves Maxx audio via searching for it in the windows start menu, then right clicking on it and then selecting uninstall

3: Goto cooper's link:  https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

4: Download the 64 bit driver for your OS its was 258 mb as copper described

5: Follow the instructions and reboot

6: After the installation and reboot process, my audio was not working. However after about 5- 10 mins, windows installed the missing drivers including a "Waves audio effects" driver. I didn't do anything to my computer for this 5 -10 mins other than trying to open the sound utility from control panel. After about 10 mins, I noticed the speaker came back to the taskbar and I could adjust audio volume and play music. 

7: A final reboot and now everything is working great! A new option now appears in sounds as "Realtek headphones" This option so far has provided flawless audio. No random pops or static noise!! YES!!

Dell please replace your driver with the correct driver (R2.82), your current config **bleep**

Thank you!!

@pherrman after speaking to my colleagues in engineering they have advised you try the following and let us know the result please.

Now you have the system working correctly after installing the Realtek driver, create a system restore point for today as a reference point.

Now check for any Windows updates available that are ready to install as I suspect there will be an audio driver update pending. If there isn't, great. However, if there is, install the updates and then let me know if it makes the audio problem return. 

Thanks, Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

@pherrman wrote:

So what I did was:

2: Uninstalled Waves Maxx audio via searching for it in the windows start menu, then right clicking on it and then selecting uninstall

3: Goto cooper's link:  https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

6: After the installation and reboot process, my audio was not working. However after about 5- 10 mins, windows installed the missing drivers including a "Waves audio effects" driver. I didn't do anything to my computer for this 5 -10 mins other than trying to open the sound utility from control panel. After about 10 mins, I noticed the speaker came back to the taskbar and I could adjust audio volume and play music. 

7: A final reboot and now everything is working great! A new option now appears in sounds as "Realtek headphones" This option so far has provided flawless audio. No random pops or static noise!! YES!!

Dell please replace your driver with the correct driver (R2.82), your current config **bleep**

Thank you!!

@pherrman thanks for your contribution and confirming your solution. The issue that we have with your suggestion of updating the audio driver with the correct one from Realtek is that the version of the driver that we have posted have resolved the issue for multiple customers and they have commented on here advising of it.

From the information that I have gathered from managing this thread certain fixes work for some which may not necessarily work for others. There are a variety of fixes around but I believe it depends on what the actual fault is with the system. There are various different audio issues here including , pops, crackles and intermittent buzzing amongst others.

Can you try and accurately describe what kind of noise you were experiencing and how often you were hearing it / what the system was doing when the noise was occurring.

Thanks, Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

So what I did was:

Thank you!!

Can confirm. I updated to the latest Realtek High Definition driver by allowing Windows to search for the best driver and the problem seems to have been resolved.

FINALLY, after weeks of figuring this out, one of the newest drivers on here fixed my issue. Not sure which one though but it's either Realtek USB GBE (2019-06-04) or Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (2019-05-23). It took 2 restarts.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/tw/en/twdhs1/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/drivers?os...

@abragagn wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

Issues with wdf01000.sys are not gone. There are so many processes that create problems that overlap each other and only a few are reported.

I can run LatencyMon at any time and get a different problem, this system it's this much broken:

FgNpMt1

The popping happens all time all the times, I simply need to plug the headphone and the statics starts. I cannot make a video because it's impossible to record audio from the headphones. It is clearly software/driver related since with ubuntu I have zero issues whatsoever.

I do not use  audio equipment, I simply would like to watch a video without any problem with my 2k$ premium laptop.

@abragagn if updating the drivers and BIOS have not resolved the issue the next logical troubleshooting step would be to go with a clean install of the operating system and only install the latest version of the drivers rather than frequent updates.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

@gatemaster2019 wrote:
Hi, I have the same problem with a XPS15 - 9570. Bluetooth Audio is not usable. I tried Brose QC35 II / Sennheiser Presence / Airpods 2 and some others. Within 0,50 m beside the XPS the quality is almost ok. But if I increase the distance to 1m I cannot understand something. Audio is crackling. My XPS is on the right of me. If I wear the Sennheiser Presence on the left ear, quality ist really poor. Switching to the right ear (decrease of distance) the quality is again OK. My iPhone and my XIAOMI MI8 have a transmitting distance of more than 10 meters around my work area (walls between). The XPS looses connection when I leave my room. In my opinion this is a hardware problem. And I have 2 XPS. One for work and one private. Both have the same problem.

@gatemaster2019 that issue sounds more like it could be driver related compared to the issues being described in this thread. I would recommend trying the latest Dell driver, released a fortnight ago, for the system from here - https://www.dell.com/support/home/tw/en/twbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=8pptm&oscode=wt64a&pr...

If that fails to address the issue you could try the bluetooth driver direct from Killer themselves. The drivers used depends on what version of the card you have installed the 1535 or the 1550. Without your service tag I can't confirm the exact model of card you have. You should be able to confirm this yourself by checking your warranty and components list on the support site - https://www.dell.com/support/home/tw/en/twbsd1/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/configurat...

Here are the links to the two Killer drivers:
https://support.killernetworking.com/software/ click on the Bluetooth section and pick what driver you need based on the model of wireless / bluetooth combo card you have.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Thanks mate, it worked!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, I have the same problem with a XPS15 - 9570. Bluetooth Audio is not usable. I tried Brose QC35 II / Sennheiser Presence / Airpods 2 and some others. Within 0,50 m beside the XPS the quality is almost ok. But if I increase the distance to 1m I cannot understand something. Audio is crackling. My XPS is on the right of me. If I wear the Sennheiser Presence on the left ear, quality ist really poor. Switching to the right ear (decrease of distance) the quality is again OK. My iPhone and my XIAOMI MI8 have a transmitting distance of more than 10 meters around my work area (walls between). The XPS looses connection when I leave my room. In my opinion this is a hardware problem. And I have 2 XPS. One for work and one private. Both have the same problem.

@Dell-Alan D 

Issues with wdf01000.sys are not gone. There are so many processes that create problems that overlap each other and only a few are reported.

I can run LatencyMon at any time and get a different problem, this system it's this much broken:

FgNpMt1

The popping happens all time all the times, I simply need to plug the headphone and the statics starts. I cannot make a video because it's impossible to record audio from the headphones. It is clearly software/driver related since with ubuntu I have zero issues whatsoever.

I do not use  audio equipment, I simply would like to watch a video without any problem with my 2k$ premium laptop.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions