triffski
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

Tried a bunch of things to fix this issue with my 9570 but nothing worked - until I found this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6nt3ch/kevin_shroffs_modded_realtek_audio_drivers_for/

Following this also removes the Maxx Audio bloatware and it's a good idea for anyone using their XPS for music production since it gives a much flatter, more natural sound - unless you install EqualizerAPO or Viper. Better to have the option than not tho!

Latest version and slightly updated instructions here, currently 3.02: https://github.com/kevinshroff/KSMRD-Modded-Realtek-Audio-Drivers

Make sure you have your BitLocker Recovery Key handy if using it - Windows will ask a few times while you have Secure Boot disabled during installation.

triffski
1 Nickel

I had to do this to get EqualizerAPO working: https://bradshacks.com/fix-equalizer-apo-windows-10/

So much better than the standard Dell driver + Waves.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
RGBR
2 Iron

Frank Azor from Dell said on twitter that a Bios update to be released in the first week of May will virtually eliminate DPC latency problems. Let´s wait and see: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1119098780731576320
zjaco2
1 Copper

Not according to the Latency Checker that's peddled in this post.  Before update (on 1.8.1)

After update (1.10.1)

System was idle after rebooting for at least five minutes before running test.

0 Kudos
SolusIpse22
1 Nickel

After updating the bios, latency mon does read the system as being able to play audio with no drop outs. All green. However it seems now that, with certain songs with a lot of bass, the low freq dips out noticeably.

I'll take this issue over the pops and crackling though, for now. Really sad this still isn't technically fixed completely.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

0 Kudos
Axl Jay
2 Iron

These are my values after 1.10 update, and they look good.

5 mins run with cpu idling and max performance settings.

dpc.PNG

I'll run a few tests with my DAW as well.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Hi all, 

The latest BIOS revision 1.10.1 has now been released. Improvements mentioned include "Reduces Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) latency for real-time task performance enhancement, such as audio playback."

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kkwch&oscode=wt64a&produc...

I await your feedback on the latest update 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
kostlerdc
1 Copper

The sound issue is not fixed even after installing the recommended 1.10.1 BIOS update. Of course all latest drivers are installed as well. After owning this expensive laptop for 2 weeks still I cannot hear any of my favorite music. The speakers hurt my ears ... Please advise what to do, how to fix it ...
0 Kudos

@kostlerdc wrote:
The sound issue is not fixed even after installing the recommended 1.10.1 BIOS update. Of course all latest drivers are installed as well. After owning this expensive laptop for 2 weeks still I cannot hear any of my favorite music. The speakers hurt my ears ... Please advise what to do, how to fix it ...

@kostlerdc are you able to provide more detail to your response please to help get a better understanding of what is happening. 

a) Is the issue constant or is it infrequent?

b) Is the sound that you are hearing an audible pop or is it a crackle?

c) When do you hear the sound, i.e when you connect or disconnect the ac adaptor?

d) Is it when audio is played back?

e) Does it happen on the internal speakers or external headphones or both?

f) Does it happen on ac only, battery only or combination of both?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
AndreaBussolan
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@kostlerdc wrote:

@kostlerdc are you able to provide more detail to your response please to help get a better understanding of what is happening. 

a) Is the issue constant or is it infrequent?

b) Is the sound that you are hearing an audible pop or is it a crackle?

c) When do you hear the sound, i.e when you connect or disconnect the ac adaptor?

d) Is it when audio is played back?

e) Does it happen on the internal speakers or external headphones or both?

f) Does it happen on ac only, battery only or combination of both?

Alan

Also in my case the update doesn't fix the audio problem. For the informations you asked:

a) it is constant and it happens with Windows' sound, such as turning up or down the volume, as well as songs or video played with apps or internet broswers. It happens in the same moment of a song or a video.

b) it is always a crackling sound but sometimes you can hear pops.

c) and f) you can hear always and it doesn't depend on if the computer is running with the battery or with ac.

d) I didn't notice any differences if the audio plays in the back or not.

e) in my case it happens only with internal speakers.