abragagn
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

@Dell-Alan D 

ndis.sys and ACPI.sys are widely known for causing latency issue with no clear cause. You can google it and you will find tons of people with this problem with tons of solutions that may or may not work. Even in this forum you can find topic like these:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042/pa...

Laptop manufacturers are shifting the blame on Microsoft, Microsoft is shifting it on intel, intel on the manufacturers and so on. There is no common solution and I'm stuck with a 2000$ worth of nothing that I cannot use for basic video reproduction which is something even 100$ smartphone can do without issues.

We are at a point where every modern laptop with "modern" updates and "modern" operative system is a ticking bomb. You buy a PC worth twice your salary and then you need to spend weeks in forums to understand we it is not working as intended. What's the point in buying "quality"? I should have buy this machine on amazon so I could have give it back.

javierguzman
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have been travelling for a while and I have just returned. Saw there was an update and applied without any success... Audio for me is still not clear water, I can hear noise in the background...

I have run out of patience taking into account the money and TIME spent in this. The way this has been handled is not acceptable.

Can anyone give me a serious option to do? I bought this on January in the UK. I did not raise any Support ticket because I saw Internet was full of people like me but I have also heard I would not be able to get back my money or anything like that.

<legalistic solicitation not allowed>

0 Kudos
Moderator
Moderator

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping


@abragagn wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

ndis.sys and ACPI.sys are widely known for causing latency issue with no clear cause. You can google it and you will find tons of people with this problem with tons of solutions that may or may not work. Even in this forum you can find topic like these:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042/pa...

Laptop manufacturers are shifting the blame on Microsoft, Microsoft is shifting it on intel, intel on the manufacturers and so on. There is no common solution and I'm stuck with a 2000$ worth of nothing that I cannot use for basic video reproduction which is something even 100$ smartphone can do without issues.

We are at a point where every modern laptop with "modern" updates and "modern" operative system is a ticking bomb. You buy a PC worth twice your salary and then you need to spend weeks in forums to understand we it is not working as intended. What's the point in buying "quality"? I should have buy this machine on amazon so I could have give it back.


@abragagn I am very aware of the acpi.sys issues from my various responses on multiple threads. The problem we have is identifying what processes are failing that are contributing to the acpi.sys latency. This is what I was trying to explain to you in my previous reply and others have alluded to.

Your two drivers / processes causing the latency are ndis.sys and wdf01000.sys. 

Ndis.sys is most likely your network driver. I would ensure that one is the very latest. Quite often it is better to uninstall the drivers and software completely before installing the latest driver. From the thread that you linked to - https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-DPC-latency-ACPI-SYS/td-p/6113042/page/8 others have had luck by replacing the card with an Intel 9260. If you are running the Killer Wifi card, I would recommend using Killer's own drivers than that Dell ones - https://support.killernetworking.com/software/ The May 7th drivers are the very latest.

An improvement with the Ndis.sys process may bring your overall latency down and give you green positive results in Latency Monitor.

wdf01000.sys is alot trickier to tackle as this relates to Windows Kernal mode drivers. Similar to this overall acpi.sys issue, the problem is identifying what is causing problems with it as it is affected by something else in the system. A greater explanation of how this works can be found in the very last post of this forum thread - https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=230566

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Moderator
Moderator

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping


@javierguzman wrote:

I have been travelling for a while and I have just returned. Saw there was an update and applied without any success... Audio for me is still not clear water, I can hear noise in the background...

I have run out of patience taking into account the money and TIME spent in this. The way this has been handled is not acceptable.

Can anyone give me a serious option to do? I bought this on January in the UK. I did not raise any Support ticket because I saw Internet was full of people like me but I have also heard I would not be able to get back my money or anything like that.

<legalistic solicitation not allowed>


@javierguzman I've dropped you a private message.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
abragagn
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I'll try your suggestions as soon as I have some free time.

0 Kudos
crsdahl
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

For now I believe the DPC Latency got better with the new BIOS update. I'm not sure yet as I don't use Windows that much(dual boot). I'll write again if I experience any more audio crackling.

BUT: The last two audio driver versions(6.0.1.8603,A04 and 6.0.1.8642) still have a terrible echo effect and some kind of bass boost. So I'm still using 6.0.1.8454 and it's working perfectly. Still I'm worried that at some point this driver won't be supported by a new Windows version anymore.

So please Dell: As the BIOS update seems to have fixed the root cause at least partially, just undo whatever you changed in these versions!

0 Kudos
abragagn
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

@Dell-Alan D 

Hi I followed your suggestion:

  • installing native killer wifi drivers did not help DPC latency as you can see:

  • the audio is still popping and crackling
  • of course I consider unacceptable changing card on 2000 $ laptop for such a basic feature like "audio", why would I ever bought a premium product in the first place?Considering the large likelihood that doing that would solve nothing, no thank you.
  • regarding wdf01000.sys the topic you linked can be summarized with "can be anything, good luck finding out"
0 Kudos
KrOstir
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have resolved the issue by uninstalling the Realtek driver.

Go to Device Manager, Sound ... and right click Realtek Audio and select Uninstall device. After the computer is restarted the device reapers (probably with an updated driver) and sound problems are gone (for me).

It is strange, but it helped.

Dagoba
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

To any Dell tech support employees monitoring this thread,

I don't know if this information helps, but I figure it can't hurt...

On my XPS 15 (9570), I have not experienced this issue much listening to audio up until recently.  I primarily use Win10's Groove player for listening to mp3s.  Normally, I'd get an occasional quiet pop just barely noticeable over the music level, but nothing obtrusive.

Since I still prefer the old-school Winamp player (Winamp v5.61 Lite) for listening to my mp3s, I installed it this weekend and tried listening to my music...  BOY did that exacerbate the issue!!!  Constant crackling and popping in every song when performing other tasks simultaneously, mainly opening new tabs in Google Chrome.  When the webpage download completed, the crackling also stopped.  Only got a few here and there when not doing anything else.

Anyone else see similar performance changes?

 

 

0 Kudos
Moderator
Moderator

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping


@abragagn wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

Hi I followed your suggestion:

  • installing native killer wifi drivers did not help DPC latency as you can see:

  • the audio is still popping and crackling
  • of course I consider unacceptable changing card on 2000 $ laptop for such a basic feature like "audio", why would I ever bought a premium product in the first place?Considering the large likelihood that doing that would solve nothing, no thank you.
  • regarding wdf01000.sys the topic you linked can be summarized with "can be anything, good luck finding out"

@abragagn the image you have attached shows that updating the killer drivers has improved your latency issue although it hasn't completely resolved it. Your issues with wdf01000.sys have gone and its now just he network driver that is contributing to it.

For the pops and crackles -when exactly is this happening? Are you able to upload a video to youtube demonstrating these pops and crackles?

Do you use the laptop with any audio equipment or for audio production?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos