Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS 1.3.0, sleep mode gone?

I just bought my XPS 15-9570 with BIOS 1.2.2 installed, and I updated it to BIOS 1.3.0. I realized that the "sleep mode" option is now gone. I need to set this to "Force S3" sleep to prevent the laptop from waking up randomly, or don't go to sleep properly. So can I do that in the new BIOS?

IMG_20180805_165645.jpg

9.4K Posts

December 11th, 2018 03:00

Dell has decided to support the "Modern Standby" from our partner Microsoft. If you decide you wish to use S3 instead of Modern Standby, you can attempt to install an older BIOS, but Dell cannot assist in this.

11 Posts

August 28th, 2019 00:00

There is an easy fix for this problem! Works with the latest bios and all older bios and it forces S3 Sleep. Been using it for a while and it works.
It disables the Dell modern standby (wich causes the problem) and sets the regular sleep function as default. (the sleep we all know and love, no fan spin, no random wakes)

Press start -> type: regedit -> press enter. Then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

When you press the second to last folder (power) there is a file on the right side called CsEnable. Right click it, press modify and set the value to 0.

Tada! No more modern standby and regular sleep function has been restored! After that check the bios power settings and make sure al the “wake on ….” Functions are turned off.

Disclaimer:  Be carful when working in bios and registry edit. Also, this fix is working golden for me but be carefull, after an update by dell it might revert back to old sleep someday and overheat again.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2019 11:00

hi billybb,

The problem doesn’t occur with me so I cant reproduce it. My best guess would be to do the following:

it might be happening if the network adapter is allowed to be disabled to save power on hibernation and/or sleep. To uncheck the setting, follow the steps.

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Network Adapters
  3. Right click on the Network adapter installed on your computer
  4. Go to Properties
  5. On the Power Management tab uncheck all the boxes and apply the settings
  6. Restart the computer and check if the network card works fine.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 8th, 2018 10:00

okwei,

The latest bios version removed some redundant setup options. That is one that they must have removed. In order to set the systems sleep options in Windows 10 follow the information below to set them to meet your criteria.

Start-Settings-System-Power & Sleep. From here you can change the settings for each to your desired setting. After you have done each one of these click on Additional Power Settings at the bottom. Click om each settings on the left hand column and change the settings on the right. Do this for each one. These should take care of your sleep settings for the computer.

14 Posts

August 8th, 2018 18:00

Hi Jesse,

I'm not sure that will solve my problem.. The sleep mode in BIOS can force the computer to go into S3 sleep mode directly, window's power setting does not allow me to change the sleep mode. My problem with this laptop is that I can not make this laptop sleep (into S1) using the power button - since the power button is also a finger print scanner, if I use the power button to sleep the laptop, the finger printer scanner will wake up the laptop immediately.. It is also an issue when I use my mouse to sleep the laptop, if my touch move the mouse a tiny bit after I click on the 'sleep' button in windows, it will wake it up. Also, in S1 mode, my battery drains much faster and the fan sometimes continue to spin even in sleep mode.

This mode is very useful to solve XPS's sleep problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8x1wxs/dell_xps_15_9570_sleep_problem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8pywjq/xps_15_9570_17_97whr_battery_drain_during_sleep/

So please have BIOS sleep mode option restored.

For now, I'm returning this laptop as I just got it last week - let me know if this is an option Dell no longer offers. 

123 Posts

August 14th, 2018 11:00

The issue is the following:

- I consulted a support agent from Dell about a bug with C states if you used STR (S3) with the XPS 9570. The CPU was stuck in C2 state and wont go lower anymore. This is an easy to fix bios bug. I asked about it at Intel. They told me Dell has to fix this via bios update.

- Dell removed S3 option in bios 1.3.0 because of my ticket. They called it "removed redundant option" which is obviously not true. It is not redundant. STR (s3) works fine on the 9570, fully supported, there is this C state bug though, you can read about it in that post I made in the notebookreview thread.

- Dell doesnt want to fix the c state bug

- Dell removed S3 from bios because of this and wants you to use modern standby, which... doesn't work

- there are countless reports of battery drain about this, like the links you posted, and many more

- modern standby is a failure, and won't ever work . Microsoft is just too stubborn to acknowledge that

- modern standby does not make any sense on a laptop, not a single sense. wake up time is basically identically between S3 and modern standby

- modern standby is dangerous on a laptop, the laptop never turns off, and if you have it in your back, it can easily

- modern standby is very fault-prone. the tiniest little process, program, service or driver, can prevent a deep sleep. you basically have to close every single app and service before closing your lid => sleep makes no sense anymore on this device

- the only advantage of modern standby, connected standby, isn't supported by the 9570, so modern standby is turned ad absurdum on this laptop

August 20th, 2018 20:00

I own a 9570 and I am not upgrading to the new BIOS because of the sleep setting change. 

I will post this to other forum (already did on reddit) and warn people about what Dell did and hopefully people will be staying away from the new XPS.

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 09:00

Thanks, I'm contacting Dell to have my unit returned..  I can't live with the laptop with this option removed.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2018 13:00

I can see that turning off Connected standby from the registry triggers a lower sleep state. How low, I have no idea, but I suspect it's the windows 7 behaviour. 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power 

and set CsEnabled to 0

2 Posts

August 24th, 2018 14:00

Many of the people here (that own a XPS 15) are engineers, software developers, etc that know their way through Windows. The problem we have is with sleep not working on this machine. I always have to shutdown the laptop if I want to put it in my backpack, because I cannot trust the laptop will not burn up inside of it, like it almost did once. Whenever I click sleep, close the lid, or press the button (all of them are configured for sleep, <Set them all to to power OFF. DELL-Admin>, the screen and keyboard lights shut down, but the fans keep whirling, shutting down for milliseconds before coming back on in an never ending cycle. My Surface Pro can pull Connected Standby correctly, so I assume Dell can do that too. Hope I can hear from you really soon. I would hate to have it returned and recommend to my company and everybody else not to buy Dell because of their sub-par support and quality.

11 Posts

August 27th, 2018 17:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XwTacBKb20

Here is a video of it for me. Boring video I know but its for Dell to understand the situation. Thank you for those that started this thread. I loved my previous 9550 and 9560. This 9570 is a great machine but this power situation isn't workable. I'm hoping they solve it otherwise if they don't refund my money I'm going to resell it at a discounted price and move on to apple or really anything else. 

Seems Dell just releases stuff and never really tests it. It's getting annoying and I can't trust buying any tech from them anymore. Need it to work the second I pull it out of the box. Not 3-4 months after. 

September 2nd, 2018 03:00

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd reply to this one. Bought the XPS 15 9570 and it was delivered 3 days ago. Despite the close lid option saying sleep whenever I do that the PC appears to power down. It cannot be awoken by pressing any keys.

I have updated to the latest BIOS 1.3.1 so it's disappointing this problem has not been fixed. It is very inconvenient having the laptop shut down every time the lid is closed.

Is this a known problem and how soon will it be fixed?

Cheers,

Ray, England.

September 2nd, 2018 06:00

Hmmm, maybe the problem is fixed with the BIOS update. With the power connector removed I closed the lid for around 10 minutes.

I then opened it and pressed the space bar and the laptop came out of sleep mode. I'll continue to test with and without power connected and report back.

123 Posts

September 12th, 2018 19:00

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/91313h/xps_15_9570_c_state_bug_after_s3_sleep_and_modern/

Lenovo tried the same (removal of S3), tons of people complained about it in this thread, and Lenovo was nice and clever, to give S3 back. Dell refuses so far. Read about it here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/td-p/4075415/page/30

No Events found!