Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15-9570, color banding issue

Recently got this xps 15, but am dissapointed by the ridiculous amount of color banding on the monitor. All the blacks are pixelated and crunchy. How do I fix this?

December 22nd, 2019 02:00

Guys,

@andyguk , @Raine_ , @AleBalbina , @xpsfail7590 , @softrat , @Felix doisdedosdesol , @p_gian , @MLiborio , @toader_alex1 , @Hey Alex 

Can any of you update if you were able to resolve the issue?
These strange people from Dell now saying that issue is now fixed by re-installing windows and making sure that DellPremier color not installed. Sure it is not nearly truth, just because I tried it before and even new laptops in market have the same gradient problem, but they say that this windows re-install indeed helped some customers - would appreciate if you upldate on your situation here. Thank you.

December 22nd, 2019 02:00

@matthewjameswilson  , @_interiorism , @samos1111 , @leunglam , @nbrown09r1 as well, please respond to prevous post if you have an update. Thank you.

December 22nd, 2019 05:00

I´ve reinstalled Windows twice, problem still appears. Also if i tweak colors in Intel GCP. I am not running DPC (unistalled from the beginning). Dell says its because of image compression. Just tried to color correct footoage out of GH5 camera in DaVinci - banding! Had to use vibrant colors in Intel GCP, which is not a reference, but no banding. Less satuaration in Intel GCP -> banding. I also want to calibrate with Spyder and check how that works. Anybody experiences with that?

3 Posts

Hi. I am writing to inform you that I'm facing the same issue and I don't understand the approach some people have. Try this, try that, disable this, uninstall that.
When spending more than 2k for a machine, that is supposed to work "right out of the box".
As the end user, I don't have to be tech savvy to expect decent performances on a machine like that.
If there's a problem, it has to be fixed by the company, not by users with some workaround.

Hi @andrewphirsov .

What worked for me was @NikolayT solution. Terminating Dell premier color and resetting the colors to default from within the Intel control panel solves the banding however you're still left with the horrible oversaturation. I tried playing a little with the sliders within Intel control panel and it's starting to look better. The fastest way is just reducing the overall saturation. Still not perfect but will have to do for now. 

I'm not going to reinstall Windows just to fix the banding if they forgot about the oversaturation.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 06:00

Exactly.
If I try to apply the "Natural Colors" settings, banding appears. Which is not normal.
It is like we have to basically choose between a) oversatured, unnatural, redish colors b) banding.

I tried calibrating with Spider 4 & DisplayCal, same problem.

9 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 13:00

@andrewphirsov wrote:

Guys,

@andyguk , @Raine_ , @AleBalbina , @xpsfail7590 , @softrat , @Felix doisdedosdesol , @p_gian , @MLiborio , @toader_alex1 , @Hey Alex 

Can any of you update if you were able to resolve the issue?
These strange people from Dell now saying that issue is now fixed by re-installing windows and making sure that DellPremier color not installed. Sure it is not nearly truth, just because I tried it before and even new laptops in market have the same gradient problem, but they say that this windows re-install indeed helped some customers - would appreciate if you upldate on your situation here. Thank you.

update here @andrewphirsov 

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 14:00

@andyguk 

I haven't solved the problem yet. I uninstalled the Dell Color program, improved a little but did not solve the problem. I have the laptop practically stopped waiting for solution. It's a shame Dell doesn't solve this in a timely manner given the value of this computer.

9 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 14:00

@MLiborio wrote:

@andyguk 

I haven't solved the problem yet. I uninstalled the Dell Color program, improved a little but did not solve the problem. I have the laptop practically stopped waiting for solution. It's a shame Dell doesn't solve this in a timely manner given the value of this computer.

@MLiborio  aye, apologies for my lighthearted update... here's the word on the street so far in my camp.

When I first received my laptop I performed a clean uninstall and loaded only the essential Dell drivers and software back on, including latest Intel display driver and nvidia driver at the time. Although I did not install Dell Premier Colour, I always noticed the banding and for some reason thought the desktop background was of low res. I did not see the banding in Lightroom so continued to use the laptop as normal. When I started to notice the terrible banding in youtube videos, I then started to investigate and found this forum.

Steps I have taken and outcomes of each (note these are without Dell Premier Colour installed)

Speaking to Dell (see email screenshots a few posts back) - They admitted it was a BIOS issue and I was offered a full refund. But as I seemed to have found a temporary work around, I decided to hang on to the laptop until an official fix appears.

Reverting to BIOS v1.5 - this fixes the issue whether you have or haven't got Dell Premier Colour installed. Unfortunately I ran into system stability issues with this so had to go back to V1.13 (I haven't bothered with v1.14 yet).

Deleting Intel display adaptor - This forces the laptop to use the nvidia display adaptor and the issue seems to resolve itself (no banding). The system became a little laggy and the fans were on and off a lot more, so I reinstalled the intel display adaptor with the latest driver. This restored system responsiveness and the banding did not reappear. Deleting the Intel display adaptor seemed to delete all the display profiles as well, and they never reappeared with the reinstall. This left a very saturated display, so I downloaded Intel Graphics Command Centre and turned down the saturation using that. This is currently the state I have my laptop in.

Out of interest, I decided to install Dell Premier Colour to see what effect it would have. As soon as I did, the banding reappeared, along with a bunch of new display profiles. I then uninstalled it, and the banding remained along with the newly installed display profiles. I then reverted back to the above and deleted and reinstalled the Intel display adaptor to get back to a state which was acceptable.

Looking back over my workaround, and also back at the earlier posts in this thread, the issue seems to revolve around display profiles and the BIOS update following v1.5. At the moment I have zero display profiles showing in colour management in control panel. Calibrating the display and creating a custom profile doesn't really work for me, it actually makes things worse in terms of colours.

I appreciate your comments @1_FB_R , we shouldn't have to be spending our time researching the issue and finding workarounds. We shouldn't have to spend the best part of £2k to become guinea pigs for Dell. Unfortunately for us, Dell don't really care.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 02:00

Thank you for the reply @andyguk 
Have you noticed if the banding issues appear only with "natural colors" in Intel Graphic Control Panel?
In my case, yes. If I move the slider to "Vivid", everything seems to be fine (but over saturated).

By the way, did a Windows clean install and Dell Premier Color is not installed.

December 23rd, 2019 05:00

@1_FB_R , I guess it's not about Dell Premier Color or Graphic Control Pannel, both of which help to make colors look normal/natural. It's just gradient is not that visible when colors are overly-saturated/vivid, though it still exists (because no one fixed that BIOS issue sinse 1.5), picture is far from being smooth anyway. So basically, by asking us to remove Dell Premier Color, Dell actually says: "If you delede DPC, colors will be extremely unnatural, vivid and bright so that bad gradient will be not that noticeable"

1 Message

December 23rd, 2019 17:00

I bought this laptop a week ago and I have the same problem..... As I can see nobody at Dell tries to help the people in here with solution, so I will just go and return the item by the end of the week and get Macbook instead.

December 25th, 2019 18:00

Hello, I've had similar problems with monitors and laptops. In the case of monitors the problem got solved by calibrating the monitor. In the case of an asus laptop I purchased recently I had a banding problem that is very noticeable when you create a gray gradient from black to white in a photoshop image. You can see some banding and lines getting slight red and green tones. I solved the problem by updating to the latest intel graphics drivers from my laptop website. Each intel driver is tailored sometimes for an especific pc brand. 

Then I uninstalled intel UHD graphics control panel and installed Intel graphics command center from the windows store. Every time I start windows I have to open intel graphics command center, select display option, then color tab and then I have to turn on and off the RGB button for the first option that is Brightness Enhancement. Then the screen kind of blinks a little and the grandient problem disappears. Gradient quality is improved even further by selecting the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile for the display instead of the included color profiles for the laptop brand. This way I finally got a nearly perfect gradient from black to white with no noticeable banding that I'm sure it would improve further with some calibration. 

The best choice for laptops would be a laptop with AMD integrated graphics card with Nvidia dedicated rather than anything intel.

1 Message

December 28th, 2019 01:00

@NikolayT,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I too have an XPS 7590 with 4K IPS Touch Screen and this FIXED IT for me!! My black levels are back to the way they used to be earlier this year of 2019!! 

December 29th, 2019 20:00

@NikolayT 

Thank you for posting this solution. 

However, for this fix to work, it has to be done after every restart.

An inconvenience, hope Dell and Intel could come up with a permanent fix. 

No Events found!