Re: XPS 15 9570 Color Banding issue

@1_FB_R , I guess it's not about Dell Premier Color or Graphic Control Pannel, both of which help to make colors look normal/natural. It's just gradient is not that visible when colors are overly-saturated/vivid, though it still exists (because no one fixed that BIOS issue sinse 1.5), picture is far from being smooth anyway. So basically, by asking us to remove Dell Premier Color, Dell actually says: "If you delede DPC, colors will be extremely unnatural, vivid and bright so that bad gradient will be not that noticeable"

0 Kudos
MomoEditing
1 Copper

I bought this laptop a week ago and I have the same problem..... As I can see nobody at Dell tries to help the people in here with solution, so I will just go and return the item by the end of the week and get Macbook instead.

Junta Momonari
1 Copper

Hello, I've had similar problems with monitors and laptops. In the case of monitors the problem got solved by calibrating the monitor. In the case of an asus laptop I purchased recently I had a banding problem that is very noticeable when you create a gray gradient from black to white in a photoshop image. You can see some banding and lines getting slight red and green tones. I solved the problem by updating to the latest intel graphics drivers from my laptop website. Each intel driver is tailored sometimes for an especific pc brand. 

Then I uninstalled intel UHD graphics control panel and installed Intel graphics command center from the windows store. Every time I start windows I have to open intel graphics command center, select display option, then color tab and then I have to turn on and off the RGB button for the first option that is Brightness Enhancement. Then the screen kind of blinks a little and the grandient problem disappears. Gradient quality is improved even further by selecting the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile for the display instead of the included color profiles for the laptop brand. This way I finally got a nearly perfect gradient from black to white with no noticeable banding that I'm sure it would improve further with some calibration. 

The best choice for laptops would be a laptop with AMD integrated graphics card with Nvidia dedicated rather than anything intel.

0 Kudos
XPSheep
1 Copper

@NikolayT,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I too have an XPS 7590 with 4K IPS Touch Screen and this FIXED IT for me!! My black levels are back to the way they used to be earlier this year of 2019!! 

0 Kudos
Prontissimo
1 Copper

@NikolayT 

Thank you for posting this solution. 

However, for this fix to work, it has to be done after every restart.

An inconvenience, hope Dell and Intel could come up with a permanent fix. 

0 Kudos
Pav2008
1 Copper

I concur with @andyguk on this, except that in my case I did not have to touch the BIOS at all. 

I previously (long ago) had the DPC which was removed prior to any of the recent BIOS or Intel updates. All I did was to remove Intel graphics drivers and then reinstall them again from Dell's website. I can't tell if the BIOS updates have anything to do with this problem, but I do know for certain that I did not have the issue back in 2018 when I bought the 9570. 

Seems to me that some configuration of the Intel driver itself was screwed up - removing and re-installing it does fix the issue. All back to normal now.

Thanks to @andyguk for pointing in the right direction.  

andyguk
1 Copper

@Pav2008 wrote:

I concur with @andyguk on this, except that in my case I did not have to touch the BIOS at all. 

I previously (long ago) had the DPC which was removed prior to any of the recent BIOS or Intel updates. All I did was to remove Intel graphics drivers and then reinstall them again from Dell's website. I can't tell if the BIOS updates have anything to do with this problem, but I do know for certain that I did not have the issue back in 2018 when I bought the 9570. 

Seems to me that some configuration of the Intel driver itself was screwed up - removing and re-installing it does fix the issue. All back to normal now.

Thanks to @andyguk for pointing in the right direction.  

@Pav2008 

Pav do you have any colour profiles installed at all? I have zero at the moment with uninstalling the Intel adaptor (reinstalling doesn't seem to replace them, only DPC seems to do that but then we get the banding etc). I have zero colour profiles at the moment, and as mentioned installing Intel Graphics Command Centre allows me to tone down the saturation left behind from what appears to be the default colour settings.

I've tried to calibrate the display but this actually makes it worse in my case. All I know is that when I revert to BIOS v1.5, all this goes away... I can have DPC installed and any driver version of either graphics adaptor and everything looks great, and I have an ample choice of profiles and flexibility of colour management too.

0 Kudos
softrat
1 Copper

@NikolayT 

Thank you! This is the first time a method has actually worked at all for me. Though the colors are now inaccurate and oversaturated (knocking saturation down to -25 helps) it's still amazing to be able to enjoy gradients looking much closer how they should for the first time since getting this laptop. 

Note: completely uninstall Dell PremierColor or using brightness keys resets the fix

0 Kudos

As this Dell guys don't care fix the issue or at least post their update on it here, I just want to make it clear that for now there is no solution that fixes gradient issue and keeps colors natural/consistent at the same time. We either have oversaturated colors without gradient's problem (when dell premier color is not used) or normal colors and extremely bad gradients in darks (when dell premier color is used). I know it from my XPS (of course) as well as from other brand new laptops presented in a shops - all the same oversaturated colors (by default) or gradients if you enable run Dell Premier Color.

Highlighted
Hey Alex
1 Copper

Hello, I have tried everything that they have told me from the DEll support and nothing has solved the problem, the answer they gave me is that they hope it will be solved with some next update of bios

0 Kudos