Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15-9570, color banding issue

Recently got this xps 15, but am dissapointed by the ridiculous amount of color banding on the monitor. All the blacks are pixelated and crunchy. How do I fix this?

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 09:00

I concur with @andyguk on this, except that in my case I did not have to touch the BIOS at all. 

I previously (long ago) had the DPC which was removed prior to any of the recent BIOS or Intel updates. All I did was to remove Intel graphics drivers and then reinstall them again from Dell's website. I can't tell if the BIOS updates have anything to do with this problem, but I do know for certain that I did not have the issue back in 2018 when I bought the 9570. 

Seems to me that some configuration of the Intel driver itself was screwed up - removing and re-installing it does fix the issue. All back to normal now.

Thanks to @andyguk for pointing in the right direction.  

9 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 10:00

@Pav2008 wrote:

I concur with @andyguk on this, except that in my case I did not have to touch the BIOS at all. 

I previously (long ago) had the DPC which was removed prior to any of the recent BIOS or Intel updates. All I did was to remove Intel graphics drivers and then reinstall them again from Dell's website. I can't tell if the BIOS updates have anything to do with this problem, but I do know for certain that I did not have the issue back in 2018 when I bought the 9570. 

Seems to me that some configuration of the Intel driver itself was screwed up - removing and re-installing it does fix the issue. All back to normal now.

Thanks to @andyguk for pointing in the right direction.  

@Pav2008 

Pav do you have any colour profiles installed at all? I have zero at the moment with uninstalling the Intel adaptor (reinstalling doesn't seem to replace them, only DPC seems to do that but then we get the banding etc). I have zero colour profiles at the moment, and as mentioned installing Intel Graphics Command Centre allows me to tone down the saturation left behind from what appears to be the default colour settings.

I've tried to calibrate the display but this actually makes it worse in my case. All I know is that when I revert to BIOS v1.5, all this goes away... I can have DPC installed and any driver version of either graphics adaptor and everything looks great, and I have an ample choice of profiles and flexibility of colour management too.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2020 16:00

@NikolayT 

Thank you! This is the first time a method has actually worked at all for me. Though the colors are now inaccurate and oversaturated (knocking saturation down to -25 helps) it's still amazing to be able to enjoy gradients looking much closer how they should for the first time since getting this laptop. 

Note: completely uninstall Dell PremierColor or using brightness keys resets the fix

January 5th, 2020 23:00

As this Dell guys don't care fix the issue or at least post their update on it here, I just want to make it clear that for now there is no solution that fixes gradient issue and keeps colors natural/consistent at the same time. We either have oversaturated colors without gradient's problem (when dell premier color is not used) or normal colors and extremely bad gradients in darks (when dell premier color is used). I know it from my XPS (of course) as well as from other brand new laptops presented in a shops - all the same oversaturated colors (by default) or gradients if you enable run Dell Premier Color.

6 Posts

January 14th, 2020 08:00

Hello, I have tried everything that they have told me from the DEll support and nothing has solved the problem, the answer they gave me is that they hope it will be solved with some next update of bios

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

January 14th, 2020 15:00

A fix that works for me was to uninstall all video drivers, install again and only install Intel Graphic Command Center from the Microsoft store. DON'T INSTALL DELL PREMIER COLOR APP that causes all the problems with black and contrast! 

26 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 08:00

Sorry for my dissapearing guys but i was so bussy those weeks.

I have read all the posts, those days i also update my bios and all the BIOS without any luck.

But i have some things to mention.

A friend of mine bought a dell xps 9550 with 4k display from a guy that calibrates the colors with the Display CAL and spyder X. 

I tryed the same steps that he said and it works 50%

The colors in Adobe programs and in Chrome seems accurate (not 100% but muuuch better than before) but in all the other apps, preview programs even in the background of windows everything is oversaturated!!!

Guys for you that you said that the problem solved, is not solved because you dont see the banding. The problem now is the non accurate colors!!!

What is my final thoughts.

1. If you use premier color, which is the only way to see sRGB correctly, you see the colors banding, but not everywhere. for example in Lightroom and photoshop works well, but in chrome, in moview or in your background you see the banding.

2. If you dont use premier color you see oversaturated colors and if you calibrate your screen you also see good colors in Adobe programs and oversaturated in all the other apps.

My conclution is that something happened with DELL BIOS update between the Intel graphics and the monitor. I think that the system doesn't listen to work the ICC profile in every situation.

If you read carefully what im saying, you will see that every program which use the nVidia graphics (like Adobe programs) the colors looks good.

Let me know guys if you agree with what im saying...

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hello @Jorge Lebreault , when you say "all video drivers", do you mean for just the Intel GPU or also for the Nvidia card too? Reading through the posts, it seems that the issue is a conflict with the Intel card. 

And did you install the drivers again from the those on the laptop or from fresh ones sourced from the web?

I've just started having problems with this whole banding issue, but not hugely proficient or confident with diving under the hood and into the system settings, so apologies if my question appears overly simple.

Thanks in advance.

Seoirse

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 06:00

Hello @ShorSha 

Both Intel Driver and Nvidia Driver. 

From the web of each company. 

3 Posts

February 4th, 2020 05:00

Thanks @Jorge Lebreault . Will give that a shot later on and see what happens.

February 5th, 2020 06:00

February 5th, 2020 06:00

I guess you are right, but if so wouldn't the solution be to use the SRGB profile in DPC for color correct work for example lightroom and turn it off for movies and web browsing?

1 Message

February 12th, 2020 18:00

Hi all.

Wouldn`t be easier for us to go back to older bios for good? What was wrong with the older one?

I see that Dell will not resolve this problem, it looks funny, and scarry in the same time.
Big shame for Dell, as thousands of people read about it and see their unprofessional behaviour. 

March 15th, 2020 11:00

Listen up Dell.

Around a month ago I reverted system to the config it was at the moment I bought it - around summer 2018 and BIOS 1.5. Of course windows was too outdated by now, but I didn't care about this, because picture quality became perfect again. So I temporary disabled windows updates, which is possible to do for only one month. 

Couple of days ago windows updated and rebooted itself. I started cursing already, but eventually saw image quality was still perfect - at that moment I thought "OM, those freaks from Dell finally did something!"

But it was to early to be happy. Turned out that at that moment windows still hasn't updated BIOS and right now it just happened and here I am writhing to your stupid, ignorant, full of  department to tell you that you still have the same over saturation and inaccurate color with your latest BIOS+ latest Windows/drivers, whatever!!!!!

I seriously wish you all the worst for all this ignorance and mean behavior and support. 

Thank you very much for reading till this part.

Not asking you to help anymore, just keep it here for future readers.

THANKS!

20 Posts

March 17th, 2020 00:00

I agree with every single word of @andrewphirsov .

Dell nowadays- is a bunch of , who disrespect their customers. Wish this company to become a bankrupt and disappear from the market, .

The very basic like - normal display colors, standard sleep mode (S3), etc. doesn't work on a laptop of ~3000$, when it was perfectly fine on a 7 years old Acer. I'm very very very disappointed!

No Events found!