(This is a Google translation 😉
I bought 15 days ago an Inspiron 14-5482 Win 10, I7-8565U, 16 RAM, SSD 512 GB for music production.
Big disappointment when I tested the laptop with LatencyMon !! More than 4 sec latency, while I had disabled all Windows Apps.
* After 10 days of fighting with the parameters of the Inspiron, it works very well in Studio One 4.5 (in this version they have improved the multi-core management a lot), no crunch and the processor is very quiet in the bar of SO1.
If it can help here what I did, but beware this PC only serves me for music (no web, no games, ....).
- I installed the DELL updates + installation Bios 2.5 (I saw a SpeedShift parameter that I did not notice in the 2.4, it may have helped a little.)
- I followed the Presonus configuration tips:
- Follow the advice of "Psychlist1972" from microsoft, update KB4505903 OS build 18362.267 (I don't know if really helped):
- Then uninstalled McAfee demo, MS office and all that stuff ... Disabled automatic updates of all, Dell, windows 10 (PC not connected to the web) we'll see later. Uninstall the NVIDIA driver, disable WIFI + Ethernet, disable all unnecessary windows functions, disable everything in Windows Defender.
Finally, in "msconfig.exe", tried minimal boot and disabled all non-windows background services. Here the audio peaks in Lantencymon had disappeared !! Finally, I only disabled 4 or 5 services + all Dell support services. Of course, disabled apps at windows startup.
The inspiron works well, playing music and video on windows media player.
Good luck and good music.
I have a Dell 7577 laptop and was plagued by the ACPI.sys issue. I have have made massive improvements by doing the following.
I'm about to buy a Dell XPS and start using FL studio to make some tunes.
I'd like to connect a USB keyboard, like AKAI MPK mini and maybe an electric guitar. Will these be unusable?
Does this latency issue mean that once I press a note on the keyboard, there's a delay in response in the software? Or is this something related to live performances? I don't fully understand how it works and would appreciate if someone could update on possible solutions since it's been a while since the last comment...
The latency issue affects playback because it is disruptive. I tried so many things with it.
-Replaced the wifi card
-Process lasso to dedicate cores unused by ACPI.sys to my daw.
-update to latest BIOS that is supposed to fix this.
-Disable wifi, antivirus, optimization of windows etc.
I used to no be able to play more than 1 minute of playback with 4 tracks of audio and a couple midi tracks without disrupting the audio signal. I got better, now I have 5 mins...
When producing music or song writing, the last thing I have time for is to tweak my computer...
I will never touch a DELL again for music production or performance machine. I am still paying for it and i would have a hard time passing the problem to someone else. I am using it for basic software development and will keep it like this until I recycle it.
A never again DELL 20 years loyal customer.
That is really sad to hear... So even if I use an external audio interface, such as Focusrite Scarlett, and plug the USB keyboard there, this still won't reduce latency?