Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

21 Posts

June 17th, 2019 10:00

XPS 15-9570, TB16, USB Type-C, no longer charging

Heya,

Notebook is about 3 months old, my TB16 dock worked fine since day one but suddenly as of friday a week ago charging no longer works via the TB16 Dock.

• I am running Linux with an option to dual boot into windows.
  • Windows behaves the same however
  • Same thing happens when in BIOS and just watching the Battery screen
  • BIOS will report plugged in and charging but percentage goes down.
  • Dock is sometimes detected as 60W (in Bios) first but then switches to 130W quickly - indicates as charging but percentage goes down.
  • Tried co-workers TB16 Dock - same thing
  • Works fine via barrel plug

What I tried

• Disconnecting the dock for a while
  • Booting with/without dock attached
  • BIOS battery settings (standard/adaptive/quick charge on/off)
  • Holding Dock button for a minute while disconnected from power and notebook
  • Checking the plug on the power brick of the docking station - removing and replugging it while dock was running and while it wasn't

As I am running linux by default I am sure that on the day it stopped working I did not do any bios/driver whatever updates.

As it's also not working in Bios it should be OS/driver agnostic.

Any idea what's wrong or what I could do?

The dock works normally apart from that - usb devices and display link monitor are working fine.

21 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 04:00

Same here - technician dropped by, swapped the motherboard and it's working again.

No dataloss btw. altho it's recommended to do a backup just in case.

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 14:00

Haven't exactly the same problem Charges fine with AC adaptor just doesn't work with USB C When I hover over the battery symbol it says "plugged in, charged" When I double click on battery it says plugged in discharging? Read somewhere about going back to 1.07 Bios but don't really want to try that

21 Posts

June 18th, 2019 00:00

I read reports about bios 1.10 no longer allowing charging via low power usb-c chargers.
My theory is that possibly the dock is not initially recognized as 130W charger and thus the BIOS is preventing the charging of the notebook even if it jumps to 130W later on.

The 60W->130W jump can be observed in the BIOS battery screen. I will try downgrading BIOS if nothing else works but I am sure it worked with the 1.10 upgrade before randomly stopping to work

• 

16.7K Posts

June 18th, 2019 06:00

Gh0stface,

Let me know if the bios downgrade works for you.

21 Posts

June 24th, 2019 02:00

I tried:

• upgrading to 1.11.2 (without dock attached only AC Adapter)
  • downgrading to 1.9.1 (without dock attached only AC Adapter)
  • downgrading to 1.8.1 (with dock attached no AC Adapter)

And the problem remains the same.

I made a quick video showcasing the behaviour https://photos.app.goo.gl/5NvmqVCcr2fxPZon6

This guy appears to have had the same issue but with a wd15 https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dock-station-stopped-charging-my-XPS-all-of-a-sudden/td-p/7193101

• 

16.7K Posts

June 24th, 2019 08:00

Gh0stface,

Does the battery charge the laptop with the dock unattached? 
Connect the AC adapter to the Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock (TB16), and then connect the Thunderbolt 3 (Type-C) connector to the computer.

Click the link below for troubleshooting and resolving tb16 issues

Dell USB-C and Thunderbolt Docks (WD15, TB16 TB18DC, D6000) - BIOS Settings and Driver Installation for Troubleshooting

How to Use and Troubleshoot Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16

21 Posts

June 24th, 2019 10:00

Battery charges when

• Dock is not attached but Notebook AC Adapter is attached
  • Notebook AC Adapter is attached and the Dock is connected afterwards

Battery does not charge when

• Only the dock is attached
  • Dock is attached first and then the Notebook AC Adapter is connected afterwards.

No difference if dock is attached before turning on the notebook or not

Also no difference if I start the notebook via the docks power button or the notebooks.

As I said all drivers/firmwares bios updates have been made on both the notebook and the dock.

I will go over the bios settings once more tomorrow and make sure its as described in the article and report back.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 25th, 2019 06:00

Gh0stface,

Thanks for the update. Let me know after you go over the bios settings of the outcome. 

1 Message

June 26th, 2019 04:00

Gh0stface,

This is exactly what I figured out as well that is the only solution. I keep trying to update BIOS and drivers related to Docks and the TB16 to no avail... 

The only solution I have found is exactly what you described... 

I had purchased a 2nd TB16 to see if that would fix any issues with the attached 240W battery, but neither TB16 or Battery works in any combination. All other functions with the TB16 Dock work except for the charging of the laptop battery... 

Very frustrating since I purchased a 2nd battery just to connect with my TB16 Docking station while I use my original battery to carry around with me in my laptop bag. 

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It seems to still be around for a few months and I first noticed the issue about 2 months after I purchased the XPS 15 9570 (bought November 2018... TB16 charging/discharging issues discovered in January 2019). 

Hope there is solution to this! 

21 Posts

June 27th, 2019 02:00

Same outcome - I checked all the articles and tried to follow all recommended steps:

• BIOS, Notebook and Dock Firmwares as well as all drivers are up2date - verified in windows as well (but this happens also in Bios so Windows/Linux drivers should be irrelevant)
  • Enabled USB Boot Support and External USB Port, USB PowerShare Thunderbolt Technology Support, Thunderbolt Adapter Boot Support and Thunderbolt Adapter Pre-boot Modules. Security Level - No Security. POST Behavior selected Thorough. 

I made a quick video of my bios settings in case you can see something wrong:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rYCbU9tySpfEsxP6

• 

16.7K Posts

June 27th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for letting me know the issue remains. I am going to speak to an engineer. I will reply back when I hear from them.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 27th, 2019 07:00

Gh0stface,

Can you test a configuration with both AC power adapters connected to the TB16 and XPS 15-9570 to see if the battery charge issue happens?  Let me know if it charges.

21 Posts

June 28th, 2019 14:00

I already did - please refer to my previous post:

Battery charges when

• Dock is not attached but Notebook AC Adapter is attached
  • Notebook AC Adapter is attached and the Dock is connected afterwards

Battery does not charge when

• Only the dock is attached
  • Dock is attached first and then the Notebook AC Adapter is connected afterwards.

21 Posts

July 5th, 2019 04:00

Any update on this issue or the investigation of it or something?

21 Posts

July 15th, 2019 01:00

Bump?
No Events found!