Dell-Alan D

Re: Dell XPS 9570 Overheating Issues

@GioPap wrote:

Hello Alan,

It is a full system lockdown.

The only way through it is to hard shutdown the PC from the power button.

If i leave the screen frozen for long then i get a blue-screen .

Normally it happens with graphics demanding apps like 

Games (even low end ) and with virtual desktops that i use .

I have used some apps to record the thermal behavior of the laptop and gets over 94 easily .

Lately i have noticed that when i open the in idle state with minimum apps open it gets over 80 which is not normal for me .

I will try lowering the TDP but this should not be a solution for a 3800$ laptop

@GioPap, i'll follow up with you via private message to obtain more details. 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Cely11
2 Bronze

Have you solved the issue?

I have the same behaviour. I will get a new replacemend xps 15 9570 next week. Hopefully the problem will be solved...(sadly, i don't think so...)

CIBO_676
2 Bronze

I am having a similar issue to the poster.  My temp in a 28c room is about 53c, this is with just using edge, netflix , word, excel, etc, .  And when i do video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro i get temps around 81c~87c before the system gets unresponsive/blue screen.

Overall i am really disappointed, i should've checked for more user issues and reviews before i purchased the xps 15 9570(I7, 4K, 16gb).  I see that there's a lot of diagnostics, troubleshooting, and modding to be done.  I just don't think it's worth it.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@CIBO_676 wrote:

I am having a similar issue to the poster.  My temp in a 28c room is about 53c, this is with just using edge, netflix , word, excel, etc, .  And when i do video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro i get temps around 81c~87c before the system gets unresponsive/blue screen.

Overall i am really disappointed, i should've checked for more user issues and reviews before i purchased the xps 15 9570(I7, 4K, 16gb).  I see that there's a lot of diagnostics, troubleshooting, and modding to be done.  I just don't think it's worth it.

@CIBO_676 thanks for your contribution. Those temperatures that you are seeing at idle and during intensive use are consistent with what other users have been advising. The system shouldn't be hanging or bluescreening as a result of this though. 

Have you noted down the bluescreen stop code by any chance? 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
ghandestruction
2 Bronze

I have been looking for a solution to this for the longest time with my XPS. We pay $2000 for this device, because of what Dell has promised us. After days of struggling, and rage quitting Fortnite, I finally found a solution. It is unfortunate that I had to go through so many steps to find a solution, as I truly believe that everyone that has bought an XPS has fallen victim to Dell's advertising debauchery.

Without further ado, let me unveil the missing piece to the puzzle of XPS overheating.

Since the XPS is extremely slim, and Intel uses an abominable thermal paste, it makes it almost impossible to cool down the GPU/CPU for even the slightest of tasks.

So the only solution is to not allow the GPU to ever even get that hot. What I realized is that the hardware chips are receiving an absurd amount of power, which is the main culprit in causing the chips/VRM to overheat. In order to reduce the amount of power that the chips are receiving, we must reduce the amount of voltage that the chips are receiving. This can be achieved by a process known as undervolting. 

Here is a quick youtube tutorial on how its done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeQUs4Wtyfs

The guy in the video rocks a 9560 with a GTX 1050 I believe, so his curve is a bit different, but the concept is the same.

I personally didnt undervolt my CPU and it worked fine. Whereas my computer used to shutdown and I was getting single digit fps, now I get like 90 fps running my games at medium.

Some tips to keep your laptop running cool:
Never put it on a flat surface, raise the back end a bit, so that the vents have some breathing space.

If you want, you can add thermal pads to the VRM to keep it extra cool.

Hope this helps a lot of you.

Sir_Joker
2 Bronze

Could you specify what you did exactly (ideally step by step please 🙂 ) @ghandestruction ? I am experiencing the same issues while gaming (I basically can't play Total War: Warhammer 2 at all due to constant crashes which is one of the few games I would like to play). Your advice would be very much appreciated as this issue is massively undermining my joy with this laptop currently. Thank you very much in advance, Philip
0 Kudos