LaughingJohn
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 15 9570 - Problems with USB keyboard

I also had this issue and on the advice of another forum member I disabled C-State control in the BIOS today (this controls the processor going into various power saving states when it is idle). This is different to speed step which alters the speed when the processor is in use. Seems to have done the trick for me but I suggest you do your own research.

From my limitied understanding it will likely use more power and may increase temperature a bit, but so far all good for me and no keyboard repeats.

Obviously it would be better if Dell or their partners could fix whatever is causing the issue in the first place.

Doc Schneider
1 Copper

Thanks for sharing the issue!! Same problem at me. Tried everything. Reinstalled Windows completely. Installed numerous BIOS updated and all other updates over the time. Problem occurs at home with external keyboard. Problem occurs at work when external keyboard is attached via Thunderbold docking station. Filed already a service request four month ago. The problem persissssssssssssts :-((( Will try your advice with the C-State. Sounds a reasonable explanation for what's going on.
0 Kudos
JYelton-NCM
1 Copper

Same problem, but it was only happening when I was connecting to an external device using USB-to-serial adapters, such as Arduino or Atmel development boards (I'm in electronics engineering). The USB keyboard and mouse would freeze periodically and sometimes disconnect/reconnect. As soon as I terminated the serial session, they would work normally. I updated BIOS firmware, various drivers, Windows registry tweaks, etc, to no avail. It seems disabling the C-State and/or the Thunderbolt Auto-switching is the fix. (I did both at the same time.) So these are definitely on the right track. By the way, it doesn't matter if the keyboard/mouse is plugged directly into the laptop, an external USB hub, or in my D6000 docking station. All combinations were susceptible to the problem.
0 Kudos
Fruro
1 Copper

same issue! is there a solution? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wazzy2020
1 Copper

Mine is doing the exact same thing (external keyboard)-- have tried multiple keyboards, with or without usb hubs, updated all the software, including firmware, erased windows and reinstalled, Dell has even replaced the motherboard yesterday and same issue.

My issue really comes out with an external monitor and the dell xps lid closed.  Keyvboooooooooooooooooo) will do that -- and may or may not even detttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect an input

0 Kudos