Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9570 Sleep Issue is back with Windows 10 2004

This hit me too.  Very frustrated.  In my case, I believe it may have been prior to Windows build 2004, though.  I only installed Windows 2004 yesterday, however the prior night my 9570 was not sleeping and wouldn't wake.  When I hard-rebooted it, there was a windows update stuck.  I installed that and rebooted again, however I didn't try sleeping.  That prior night's non-waking hard-reboot was the same behaviour that the Dell has traditionally had.  After this wake/sleep issue, I decided to try Windows 2004 on the weak hope that it'd solve the issue I'd had the prior night.  Of course now it's impossible to sleep/wake.  I love the laptop, but having this issue crop up every four-six months is going to force me into a different laptop as well.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Unfortunately, in a sticky Dell now declares that sleep isn't bag-safe. Also I wouldn't expect the resurrection of S3, because it was removed following a bug report, they obviously aren't keen on supporting two buggy sleep modes. And the root of the problem is with M$ not Dell. S3 still works if you switch to linux 😉 

Meanwhile, a workaround using reFind boot manager was proposed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9570-owners-thread.817008/page-298#post-11022154

Mind it involves disabling secure boot to install, so proceed at your own risk and don't expect support from Dell. 

I haven't tested it because I don't need to - my XPS is old enough to not support MS and I rely on sleep so much that I consider upgrading to inferior sleep a no no. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Exactly my finding after having experience with a G5 15 and modern standby!

So far I solved the issue with a registry key. But this is no longer possible with update 2004

Best regards,

Siegfried

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am experiencing the same sleep issue with XPS 9560 after installing Windows 2004 update. Is there any way to rollback this Windows 2004 update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same thing here. And I didn't even know that you would loose your warranty if you don't shut down your laptop before putting it in your bag. That's crazy. I think that my laptop was going to catch fire when I felt my bag really hot.

On my side honestly, even before this problem I had already decided that this xps15 9570 was my first dell and would definitely be my last. I paid 3000$ for my laptop, and I have bought 3 year dell on site support. I always had thinkpads before Dell, and I will definitely will go back after this XPS. Yes, Dell laptops are stylish, but in my modest opinion, they are miles behind thinkpads. My x1 yoga was svelt thin and light machine and the keyboard was way better then this dell. Wifi cards? let's not even talk about it. And then the small little details, I feel that the xps15 is a consumer machine, and the thinkpads are built to work. I might change my mind next year when I upgrade, but honestly I don't think so.

Ah and let's not even talk about this thing is a cooker when I am in room without a lot of ventilation, just with my normal workflow with a couple of browser tabs open this thing heats up like crazy.. Had to have my IT manager disabling turbo boost and undervolting it so I could keep it in my lap. For a 3000$ machine? Really Dell? My wife's Asus Zenbook that costed 3 times less is an overall more balanced machine than this. But hey, they do beautiful machines, youtubers like them and do great videos about them and people spend the money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Its been 1 month since I first posted this topic, Dell support contacted me a few days later and told me to roll back to the previous version of windows whilst they find a 'solution' .... so far I have nothing back from them.

I would appreciate if anyone else who has this problem can come forward and post a message here, whilst I know this is probably futile and won't help in getting a real fix for the XPS (which I think is inherently broken and that's why this issue has lingered for so long), it would be good to know how widespread this problem is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have been having the same "Sleep" shutdown problem for over a week now but on an XPS-8700.  Lost several hours of work the first time it happened. Thankful that MS SQL Server and Visual Studio have recovery provisions for when crashes occur on open, unsaved docs or else it would have been worse.  Saw on another board that it could be a BIOS issue and updated that but no joy.  Very frustrating issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I didn't realize this problem was also affecting desktop models, but I guess that same bad modern standby bios implementation might be the cause. For what its worth, Dell support is working on a fix, or at least that is what they have been telling me over private messages. I can't say I have too much faith in it being fixed, its been an issue for 2 years, just been using the registry hack as a workaround for all this time, but let's see.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Just wanted to post an update on this to anyone who is still in the same boat as me although I suspect many have already given up and are looking for alternative products ...

So Dell has been in contact with my, they seem to be actively trying to find a fix but so far nothing useful. I can't say I'm too hopeful for this as the previous 'fix' for this 2000+USD laptop was a registry hack and it seems this time Microsoft has gone out of its way to force modern standby to everyone that didn't ask for it or need it or want it or like it, and in classic Microsoft style simply don't care, so I doubt a simple registry fix is going to work this time. For the sake of trying (and perhaps desperation), I did use the Windows feedback hub to raise this issue with them .... that's 10 minutes of my life wasted for sure.

So in the meantime I checked if other people with different laptops are facing this issue and did stumble across a few but the primary complaint seems to be with the XPS 9570, and that very much tops the search results.

I did also come across a Reddit post with another workaround for this exact problem. I have not tried it and am unlikely to as it requires applying the patch every time you reboot, so its hardly a real fix, but for those that have the need and can't wait for a better fix (or have given up), perhaps you can give this a go - https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/