XPS

Last reply by 11-07-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 15-9570, TB16, USB Type-C, no longer charging

Heya,

Notebook is about 3 months old, my TB16 dock worked fine since day one but suddenly as of friday a week ago charging no longer works via the TB16 Dock.

• I am running Linux with an option to dual boot into windows.
  • Windows behaves the same however
  • Same thing happens when in BIOS and just watching the Battery screen
  • BIOS will report plugged in and charging but percentage goes down.
  • Dock is sometimes detected as 60W (in Bios) first but then switches to 130W quickly - indicates as charging but percentage goes down.
  • Tried co-workers TB16 Dock - same thing
  • Works fine via barrel plug

What I tried

• Disconnecting the dock for a while
  • Booting with/without dock attached
  • BIOS battery settings (standard/adaptive/quick charge on/off)
  • Holding Dock button for a minute while disconnected from power and notebook
  • Checking the plug on the power brick of the docking station - removing and replugging it while dock was running and while it wasn't

As I am running linux by default I am sure that on the day it stopped working I did not do any bios/driver whatever updates.

As it's also not working in Bios it should be OS/driver agnostic.

Any idea what's wrong or what I could do?

The dock works normally apart from that - usb devices and display link monitor are working fine.

Replies (75)

Aptica, did you get any feedback from the backend team after escalation ?

Gh0stface, did you open your XPS ? Is the chip burnt ?

As I have warranty on my XPS was finally able to get Dell to schedule a tech to replace mother board. This fixed the problem. 

Just got my motherboard replaced today. Fixed it.

Same here - technician dropped by, swapped the motherboard and it's working again.

No dataloss btw. altho it's recommended to do a backup just in case.

Community Accepted Solution

I am still in contact with Dell France. A last test to perform in the next days with another XPS, and if we confirm the XPS is faulty, then the motherboard will be replaced (it seemed it was not a surprise for the tech I had on the phone).

Hello,

For those who had a tech change the motherboard, did you get any information on whether this new motherboard has a component that will not fail?

Any word from Dell about this issue that seems repetitive? Is the new component more durable?

The tech that worked on my laptop said he has seen same or similar issues across many brands and models that have a USB-C dock. His theory is that the dock cable end is too big for a USB-C port. Failures may be coming from movement of the cable and / or stress on the port.

Just finished my 5 week dance on this.  Laptop sent in, tech notes said "Logic board replaced".  Works again.

Piece of advice, if it worked before and no longer does, start the service claim immediately.  Don't waste hours and weeks of your life with the "driver update/support session" dance...

I asked the techguy that. He said there was no change in revision or something so it's basically the same motherboard again and could fail again.

Finally got acknowledgment from Dell that the motherboard needs to be replaced. This is scheduled for monday morning on site (great I don't need to send back the XPS)...
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions