Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2018 13:00

XPS 15 9570, Touchscreen doesn't work when lid is closed

I am having this weird issue on my Dell XPS 15 9570 where the touchscreen doesn't work after I close the lid. If I reboot, the touchscreen works just fine, but as soon as I close it, it ceases to work. This happened after I updated to the latest BIOS, but I'm unsure whether this is the issue or not. I already reinstalled Windows, so that's not the problem. This is a very annoying issue, especially considering that I bought the more expensive model for the touchscreen. Any help is appreciated! If you know of a solution, please reply to this post or DM me on Discord at Topik#0001

Thanks!

44 Posts

October 6th, 2018 01:00

Dell just released BIOS 1.5.0, and one of the fixes is the "Fixed the issue with touch screen where it malfunctions after closing and opening the lid". I think SupportAssist and Dell Update are always a bit late to offer the newest updates.

1 Message

September 29th, 2018 19:00

I am having the same problem :( 

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 01:00

I have the exact same problem... Really annoying

1 Message

October 2nd, 2018 10:00

same problem here

1 Message

October 3rd, 2018 05:00

Same here, also noticed that it will stop working anytime i stream any video as well.

13 Posts

October 4th, 2018 19:00

Same problem on UHD 9570 with the latest BIOS. Restart required to turn touch back on.

9.4K Posts

October 5th, 2018 06:00

Hi Topik,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Unfortunately your post does not indicate whether or not you've updated your BIOS or run SupportAssist.

Please run the Dell SupportAssist , make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  Also, in the BIOS there is a setting called USB Wake Support.  Some users have reported success by turning this to the off position.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

How to Fix Touchpad Problems on a Laptop - short video

Touchpad Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

13 Posts

October 5th, 2018 16:00

I'm not Topik, but I ran SupportAssist, no problems were found and all drivers are up to date. I entered the BIOS and disabled USB Wake Support. The problem still persists. Upon closing the lid and reopening it the touchscreen does not function. Regrading the links provided, this thread is about touchSCREEN failure, not touchPAD. This is a pretty expensive upgrade and having it fail to work anytime the lid is closed and reopened is frustrating to say the least.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2018 19:00

Hey Robert,

I'm pretty sure that the other users are referring to their touch displays and not their mouse touchpads...

I don't think your knowledge base links are relevant here.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2018 20:00

Hey Topik,

Did you ever fix your touch display not working? What BIOS version are you on?

I see this in the release notes of the latest version of the BIOS that I have to download. See point 2: 
---------------------------------------------------------------

Dell XPS 15 9570 1.4.1 System BIOS

Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes:
1. Fixed an issue that some systems show incorrect VGA name in BIOS setup
2. Corrected the touch screen disable behavior in BIOS setup
3. Fixed a potential system hang issue when an incorrectly formatted password is entered at the BIOS Security Manager (BIOS pre-boot password) prompt
4. Fixed a potential issue with binary image measurement using the Linux UEFI shim boot loader

13 Posts

October 6th, 2018 03:00

Thanks for the heads up this appears to have fixed it for me :Yes:

No Events found!