Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

October 16th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15 9570 Unable to enter BIOS/"No bootable devices found"

Hi, I received the laptop and everything worked fine, then I replaced the SSD drive with the Samsung 970 Pro and when I press F2 I'm unable to enter BIOS, a message is displayed after the Dell Logo saying "No bootable devices found.", also I tried creating the Dell Recovery bootable USB drive but no luck, same issue, any feedback? thanks

November 19th, 2019 02:00

I got this issue on my XPS 15 7590 but without swapping any hardware on the device. I've only had it a month, have not messed with the innards or BIOS and have installed nothing unusual yet yesterday I received two bluescreens in quick succession, first 'DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' and the second 'WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR'.

I had to manually hold the power button each time to make it turn off and then boot afterwards, I ran a windows memory diagnostic, that came back with no errors then after a period of inactivity it went to sleep and then couldn't wake up. I spent an hour with just the Dell logo on the screen going no further.

A few further restarts brought up the pre boot systems performance check, this found no hardware issues and on the third time gave a message of 'No bootable devices were found! Possible causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device not enabled in BIOS setup.'

I paid over £2600 for this device which is now a large paperweight after approx one month of general use. To say I'm not happy is an understatement.

XPS 15 7590

System BIOS: 1.2.3

Version: Build 4400.07 UEFI ROM

Anyone know what could have caused this and how to avoid it in the future?

We hope you are doing well. We can see that the technician has visited again for the motherboard replacement. We see that you have mentioned that you would get the Bitlocker password from the Microsoft Account.
DELL-Cares

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

If the system displays "No boot device", it means it didn't register your F2 key press to enter the BIOS.  I find it's easiest to power off the system, then power it on and immediately start pressing F2/F12 repeatedly until I get where I want to go.  If you wait until the display lights up, it may be too late.  If that doesn't work, maybe try Fn+F2/F12?  Fyi though you shouldn't need to get into the BIOS after replacing your SSD.  You'll typically want to use the one-time boot menu that's accessed by pressing F12.  There's no need to rearrange your boot order in the BIOS just to boot from installation/recovery media in order to set up your new hard drive, and in fact on systems that boot in UEFI mode you won't even see USB boot options listed in the BIOS setup; you'll only see them in the F12 menu.  Good luck.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

Yes, I keep pressing F2 right from the start, it always leads to a "SupportAssist" screen displaying the product name, Bios version, Seervice Tag and ePSA, and "No bootable devices found", and it only gives the option to shutdown

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 10:00

Ok, then if holding down Fn while you press F2 repeatedly doesn't do anything different for you, then I'm not sure what to suggest.  Dell has standardized on using the F2 and F12 keys to access the BIOS and one-time boot menu, respectively, for at least the last 15 years, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you.  Maybe try a USB keyboard if you have one available?

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

October 16th, 2018 15:00

I created a USB Recovery drive to reinstall the OS with the Dell OS Recovery Tool and finally the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery menu showed up and gave the option of recovering the original installation from the Cloud (don't know why it was unable to reinstall the OS from the bootable USB drive), so all working fine now (a factory fresh recovered XPS). However, I don't understand why this issue happened in the first place.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 16:00

Glad you've got a fresh installation, but it doesn't sound like this solved the issue.  Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you were unable to even access the BIOS or the one-time boot menu, so the issue isn't really that the system wouldn't reinstall an OS from a bootable USB drive.  The issue is that you weren't able to get to the menu that would allow you to tell it to do that.  Are you still having trouble accessing the BIOS setup (F2 at startup) and the one-time boot menu (F12 at startup)?

No Events found!