Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2019 07:00

XPS 15 9570, WD15, screen blanks

When the laptop wakes from sleep or screen off all screens start to go blank for about 1s and then turn back on about every 70 seconds, the timing is consistent. The only way to stop this is to switch to "pc screen only" and then back to "extend".

I've done everything in the following article but it's still not fixed. https://www.dell.com/support/article/za/en/zadhs1/sln308209/dell-dock-wd15-troubleshooting-an-issue-with-the-external-monitors-blinking-between-video-and-no-video?lang=en#Blank_Screen

3 Posts

April 15th, 2019 15:00

Hey all,

I got the fix for the 70 second blank out issue (...for my TB16 dock)!

I fortunately have Dell ProSupport and they gave me the solution. They told me that Microsoft acknowledged an issue with docked monitors after the recent Windows 10 version 1809 update. There is a workaround while Microsoft creates a fix (since this came through a Windows Update). Keep in mind this fix might only apply to TB16 docks. I do not have the fix for WD15 docks. This fix might work for you, but only Dell Support can verify that. So if you have a WD15, you'd better contact them.

That said, here is what they gave me, (I added a lot of clarifying notes):

* Check to see if you are on Windows 10 version 1809 (Start > View Your Update History). If you do not see a feature update for Windows 10 version 1809, stop and contact Dell support for help.
* If you *do* have version 1809 proceed.
* Download this program: Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver
* Also download this program: Thunderbolt™ Bus Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK External Link
* Remove your computer from your network (unplug the network cable and/or turn off your WiFi).
* Open Device Manager (right-click Start > Device Manager) and find any instance of "thunderbolt" devices. I only found one by expanding the "System Devices" menu, near the very bottom called "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D9". You might find more or your might be named something else. Just make sure to find any references.
* For each Thunderbolt device you find, right-click it > Uninstall Device > Checkmark "Delete the driver software for this device" > Click Uninstall.
* Reboot your laptop but do not reconnect to the network or WiFi just yet.
* Once back in Windows, go to Start > Add or Remove Programs
* In "Search this list", search for "thunderbolt". If you found something, you'll need to remove that first.
* After that, install the "Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver" (the filename is "01 - 5510_Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_M6YD4_WIN_16.3.59.250_A02.EXE").
* When that's installed,  then unzip the "Thunderbolt™ Bus Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for Intel® NUC Kit" (the filename is "Thunderbolt_Win10_64_17.3.72.250.zip").
* Run the "setup.msi" file in the folder to install.
* After that's done, for good measure, reboot the system.
* That's it! The problem should be resolved!

I was told by support that I should probably not perform a Windows Update or Dell Update for about a month, to give Microsoft time to fix the issue. Those are wise words.

In any case, I hope this helps someone else out there. Good luck!

• 

16.7K Posts

January 14th, 2019 08:00

KTersius,

Click the links for troubleshooting and resolving issues with wd15 and monitors.

Dell Dock WD15: Troubleshooting an issue with the external monitors blinking between Video and No Video

How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Dock WD15

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2019 06:00

Hi not sure what you mean by click the links? I performed all 10 steps.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 17th, 2019 07:00

KTersius,

Click the link below to update the system to the latest bios.

Also, have you tested a different laptop on the WD15 to see if the issue happens on different laptop?

External monitor blanking or flickering on TB16 and WD15 docks

XPS 9570 Bios 

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 00:00

Did all the steps in that link, as stated in my original post. No help. I don't have other laptops to test with either.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2019 04:00

Have the same issue with XPS 9570 and TB16. Latest drivers and BIOS.

February 14th, 2019 19:00

I am seeing this on 2 of our XPS 9570's also. (we only have two). I'm not even trying to use Connected Standby, but after my screens turn off from idle activity, the event log says the machine has entered Connected Standby. Power settings are set to sleep on AC - never. I've installed the latest drivers, bios via dell command update. I installed the latest Intel UHD 630 driver. Problem persists. Undocking and re-docking makes the issue go away until next time. Resetting the display driver via Ctrl+Shift+Win+B didn't immediately stop it, but appears to have reduced the occurrence.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2019 09:00

I'm having the exact same problem on multiple XPS 9570s each using TB16 docks. Issue persists when using laptops with different docks or without a dock. Latest drivers and BIOS is installed on the laptops in question.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2019 06:00

I also have this issue. I spent a really long time finding a fix documented here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/aibi2d/fixing_screen_flicker_on_xps_15_with_external/

Sadly since running the Dell Update app and getting a couple of Windows updates yesterday, the issue is back again. 

I spent quite some time with support on Reddit. It seems strange that this issue isnt acknowledged by Dell yet. Its should be really really easy to replicate. I dont know how to get this on the radar. 

9 Posts

March 31st, 2019 12:00

I have exactly the same issue with my TB16 and XPS 15 9570! I have two TB16 140W (at home and at work) and two different 4K monitors (LG and Philips). Everything is fine after rebooting, but once the system wake-up after hibernate/sleeping mode both: external AND laptop monitors start to "blanking or flickering" and the mouse and keyboard loose the connection for a fraction of a second. It is so annoying I cannot work. Once I tried to ignore that, after several such "blinking/blanking" incidents, the Intel graphics card 630 stop working (half of the screen was covered with colour points) and I had to disconnect TB16.

Maybe the problem is related with Intel graphics card driver?

Of course, I started with the upgrade of everything I could (Windows 10): TB16 ( DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.2_12052018_TB16,
Realtek-USB-GBE-Ethernet-Controller-Driver-applicable_X57YV_WIN_2.45.2019.0221_A14_02.EXE), BIOS (1.8.1), all required by Dell/support drivers are up to date. But the problem sustains.

By the way: I cannot use the DisplayPort of TB16 with LG 32UK550, because it works only after rebooting. After the laptop wakes-up after the sleeping mode this monitor and TB16 loose synchronisation and the screen is covered by the colour lines and the system requires rebooting. I had to change to HDMI with only 29Hz.

9.4K Posts

April 1st, 2019 09:00

Hi JacPhys,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell Dock WD15: Troubleshooting an issue with the external monitors blinking between Video and No Video

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 02:00

Hi dell-Robert P,

Just wondering. Did you read the long post I made on Reddit ? I received many stock responses such as yours above. The information I gathered is surely valuable to the engineering team? This is a really pervasive problem. You only have to search with Google . 

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 05:00

Hi, I am having the same problem - with or without TB16.  Bios 1.8.1, all latest drivers from Dell official site. Screen starts to flicker after an hour or so from restart. Already took it to local official Dell partner - they clean installed windows, changed the TB16, did not help? Any advice?

1 Message

April 10th, 2019 09:00

Same here. 

Firmware updates, motherboard change by Dell. 

Nothing and Dell doing nothing to find a fix.

Sad

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 10th, 2019 11:00

I will be glad to have this escalated. For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.          

How to locate the service tag

No Events found!