Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2019 16:00

XPS 15 9570, WD19TB, not charging

I recently bought a WD19TB for my XPS 15-9570 and it works fine besides that it will not charge the laptop. I have checked all the settings in the bios and all drivers have been updated. 

Does anyone have fix for this issue?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 23rd, 2019 17:00

Go into the BIOS and go to the Battery Information section.  Below the battery icon, the system will report the detected wattage of the attached power source if it sees one.  When it's connected to a WD19TB, it should report a 130W power source (the WD19TB itself has a 180W power adapter, but it only passes 130W to the attached system).  So when you your WD19TB connected, does it report a 130W source, an unknown wattage source, or no AC adapter at all?  Whatever the case, this wouldn't be a driver issue because the system should be able to charge even while it's completely powered off and no drivers are active.  If you've already updated the BIOS, then my guess is that this will be an issue either with the WD19TB or the XPS 15's motherboard, possibly its ability to receive power over its USB-C/TB3 port.  If you have another dock or even just another USB-C power source to test with, you might be able to determine which device is the culprit.

July 23rd, 2019 18:00

Bios indicates it is 130W charge and I have also tried a TB16 and have the same issue. How can it be a motherboard USB-c issue when I am there is not other issues with the any with the docking stations. I would also think that if it is indicated a 130W charge then it should be charging.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 23rd, 2019 20:00

I'm confused by your response.  You say that you have the same issue with a TB16, but in your next sentence you say "there is not other issues with the any with the docking stations".  So is your XPS 15 having problems charging from multiple docking stations, or are other docking stations working properly?  If your system CAN charge from other docking stations and is only having trouble with your WD19TB, then yes it seems like an issue with the WD19TB.  If on the other hand your system is having trouble charging from ALL docking stations you've tested, then it does seem to be a system issue of some sort.  In that case, I have a few other questions:

- When you're connected to a dock and the system reports a 130W power source, what does Status readout in the Battery Information section of the BIOS indicate?  Does it say "Charging", "Discharging", or "Not charging"?

- Do you have any custom battery configurations specified in the BIOS, such as maximum or minimum charge settings that might be preventing your battery from charging to 100% or allowing it to self-discharge down to a certain level before the system will charge it again?

- If you disconnect the system from the docking station and connect the regular 130W AC adapter directly to the system via the barrel connector, does the battery charge properly in that situation?  If the battery charges from the AC adapter but fails to charge from multiple docking stations, then once again it seems there might be a hardware issue within the system that is preventing the system from charging through its USB-C port.  I admit it's odd to see that happen if the system can correctly identify a 130W power source in that situation, but I can't think of any other possible cause in that situation.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 24th, 2019 08:00

Great troubleshooting jphughan!

So on this out of warranty XPS 15-9570, it sounds like you have tested two docks (WD19TB, TB16) on the XPS 15-9570 left side TB3/USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 port, and both docks show the same issue of not charging the XPS 15-9570. That means the fault is the XPS 15-9570.

You should read through these WD19TB articles to make sure the drivers are installed correctly and see the troubleshooting.

Driver Installation Guide for Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station WD19TB

How to Use and Troubleshoot Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station WD19TB

July 24th, 2019 16:00

Thanks Chris, I have ensure all drivers are up to date and have done all the troubleshooting for the WD19TB. If it is the XPS 15 would like likely be a full motherboard replacement?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 25th, 2019 08:00

I would agree with that summary.

1 Message

January 24th, 2020 08:00

Pull out the USB-C from computer, turn it upside down and insert back into computer.

This solved the charging issue for me.

No Events found!