Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

25 Posts

October 30th, 2020 08:00

XPS 15 9570, Windows 10, dwm.exe, GPU overload

Hi everyone,

I am having serious problems with my Dell XPS 15 9570 and Windows 10.

Windows Desktop Manager (dwm.exe) doesn't use the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, rather it uses the Intel UHD Graphics 630 causing the GPU overloading of the latter one.

I have frequent peaks even when I switch from a window to another and I have to stop any activity. 

No setting in the Nvidia Control Panel or the Windows graphic settings have worked to me. I even tried to create a new user, but it doesn't change the situation. 

Any suggestion would be extremely appreciated.

Best.
D.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 30th, 2020 08:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work the issue. You may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Your system will automatically select the Intel GPU or the discrete GTX 1050 Ti GPU depending on the graphic demand. There is no way to set this up manually. This is controlled by the BIOS and has been designed that way. The HDMI port also will switch between the Intel GPU and the GTX 1050 Ti GPU depending on the graphic load. 

1 Message

November 2nd, 2020 08:00

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue on my Dell XPS 15 9570. Is it possible to have some assistance with this issue as well?

25 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 08:00

Dear Darius,

even thought I had a quite 'dense' exchange of messages with the customer care, I did not get any solution so far, and I am an 'advanced user'. 

Currently I am backing up my personal data for a clean installation of Windows 10. 

I am frustrated since it is not ammissible that a €3000,00 laptop has such problems. 

And it is the second one that I receive by Dell, since the first had many other issues.

It is probably my 'last Dell'. 

Best. D.

25 Posts

November 16th, 2020 23:00

Hi everyone, 

a quick message to inform the community that after a Windows 10 fresh install and updating the drivers by Support Assist (except for the last cumulative Windows update of November) the problem with the GPU has disappeard, so far. 

Best.

D.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 16th, 2020 23:00

We appreciate your efforts in performing the troubleshooting steps. Do reach out to us if you need any assistance. 

25 Posts

November 17th, 2020 00:00

Hi, 

thanks for your message. 

However I find unaccettable that to solve such a problem I had to reinstall the OS, reinstalling all my softwares and loosing days of my precious time.

There is always a specific reason above those issues which has to be found and it should be clear to a professional customare care. 

Dell, meditate on the quality of your computers and services.

Dell XPS = a bunch of problems!

Best.

D.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2021 08:00

Hi,

I was wondering if there has been a solution for this too.

For an inexperienced user, going ahead with a clean reinstall of windows is s rather big operation to go ahead with. 

The issue comes for me when "multitasking". Particularly when having a game og a video stream on one part of the screen (I have a 49'' ultrawide), and trying to do basic things (internet browser, spreadsheet etc) on other part of the screen.

That makes my internal gpu (Intel UDH Graphics 630) max to 100 percent, in particular when switching which window I have as "active". My external GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 ti) is not having any issue, and does not seem to be doing very much at that time. When these spikes for the "GPU 0" occurs, the machines slows to halt and even typing is severely lagging or impossible. From the Task Manager, the culprit seems to be the Desktop Windows Manager. 

My system:

Win 10 Pro (10.0.19042)
Dell XPS 15 9570
Satt opp med en Dell TB16 Docking-station.

25 Posts

April 10th, 2021 15:00

Hi, 

honestly, according to my last experience I can't suggest anything else except formatting and reinstalling the OS....BUT...there is not guarantee you solve definetely.

In my case, after a couple of months I got it again. It can depend on a Windows update, which affects Dell drivers, and so on...or any other mysterious dynamic. Who knows.  

I am tired to work on it, to wait for solutions by customer care (I have always had to find solutions on my own), and in the meantime the simple lesson to me

Best.

D.

April 25th, 2021 00:00

I also have problems with the Desktop Window Manager on my Inspiron 7577 gaming notebook.

This concerns high memory usage which grows to about 2 GB after 8 hours of work with an external full-HD monitor attached on the HDMI port.

1 Message

May 4th, 2021 22:00

I had this problem with my Dell Precision 5530. The problem occurred when I started an engineering software (MATLAB) on the laptop. The software was assigned to run on the NVIDIA GPU by default. I changed the default setting to run it on Intel integrated graphics (it's possible to change this by right-clicking on the EXE-file or you can also change it in the NVIDIA control panel). As a "quick and dirty" solution you can disable the NVIDIA GPU in device manager, but this might cause some issues later (in my case the software stopped opening and I needed to clear some cache to cope with this). Not sure if this suggestion can help for games, but for my specific engineering software it did.

May 17th, 2021 01:00

I have the same issue on my XPS 15 7590, but I noticed it only occurs when working with the Dell Docking-Station. 

So my setup is:

2x 1920x1080 Displays connected to a Dell Docking Station WD19TB.

XPS 15 7950 connected to it by Thunderbolt. 

If my laptop is closed and I work with the two external displays my internal GPU runs into 100% utilization due to "Destop Window Manager", when having some "heavy" load running (Video Conference,..). Everything lags and it's virtually impossible to work. The nvidia card is doing close to nothing.

If my laptop is open, and therefore working with the two external displays and the internal as well, my internal GPU utilization drops to 15%, the nvidia card starts doing stuff and everything runs smoothly. It seems when the laptop is closed it tries to minimize power consumption, because it's more difficult to cool itself when closed. 

28 Posts

July 29th, 2021 08:00

type cmd in search box (that is next to the start icon lower left of screen). Hold shift and ctrl, then hit enter after  'command promtp' shows up highlighted. Click yes on the administrative command prompt dialog box, and on command prompt type fsc/scannow. if there is a corrupted file causing the issue, this should clear and repair the problem

1 Message

August 27th, 2021 20:00

I'm having the exact same issues as others in this thread.  I've tried absolutely everything, uninstalling & reinstalling both Nvidia and Intel drivers.  I've uninstalled recent windows updates as well, nothing works.

I haven't reformatted yet, but that's the only thing I have left that I haven't tried.

I tried sfc /scannow, it found issues that it repaired, but I'm still dealing with the same issues, Desktop Window Manager takes over all resources and brings the computer to a crawl.

February 19th, 2022 05:00

I have exactly the same issue with my Precision 5530. I have both the UHD 630 and the Nvidia Quadro P2000. Running Revit, or even screensharing on MS Teams will cause the UHD 630 GPU to get overloaded and makes the system extremely laggy. The Quadro GPU typically hovers around 6-10% while the Intel GPU usage is close to 80%.

1 Message

April 14th, 2022 14:00

I had this problem for a long time thinking it was a software issue. Turns out, my laptop was just overheating and cleaning the dust near the fans made the trick.

Hopefully this helps.

No Events found!