Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2018 04:00

XPS 15-9570, Windows 10, high DPC latency, acpi.sys

Hello,

I have a dell XPS 15 9570, and I have big issues with on board and external audio.

HW Spec:

Dell XPS 15 9570, i7 8750H, 4K screen, 16g ram /512g ssd, qualcomm Killer wifi and then intel AC-9260, nVidia 1050 Ti with latest WHQL drivers, bios v1.2.2, all drivers to date as of 2018/15/07

Symptoms:

- audio cracks and pops with system audio when watching videos, listening to mp3/flac, playing games with built-in card,

- audio cracks and pops with  external ASIO soundcard (focusrite scarlett 18i8 2nd gen) when running pro DAW software with 256 samples buffer @48Khz or 512 buffer @96Khz

This can damage external speakers and makes the machine unusable for live audio or even standard multimedia use.

What I did:

- applied all tweaks recommended by my external audio card's manufacturer https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

- ran LatencyMon and found that TCPIP.sys and ndis.sys were causing 4ms DPC latency spikes, followed by ACPI.sys 2ms and dxgkrnl.sys 1.7 ms

- swapped  the qualcom card for an intel AC-9260 which eliminated totally the TCPIP.sys and ndis.sys spikes

- now ACPI.sys and dxgkrnl.sys are still causing 2ms DPC latency spikes

- audio glitches are still present

- disabled all peripherals except for keyboard, integrated graphics, trackpad, screen and storage (I disabled wifi, bluetooth, webcam, nvidia graphics, fingerprint reader, ACPI battery manager, cardreader, fall accelerometer, screen touch, etc.)

- disabled Speed-Step/ SpeedShift and Turbo-Boost, disabled virtualisation support in the BIOS to try to minimize randomness in the behaviour

- disabled fastboot

- ACPI.sys latency is still culminating at 1.7ms and causing audio dropouts with either built-in or external USB asio interface

- I've opened a support ticket over at dell with my premium support, the ticket was automatically closed a week later without anyone getting in touch with me.

I've run out of options and am looking for help.

February 7th, 2019 13:00

There is some intrest from a dell technologist Named Nelson Mak. He seems to be assigned to this issue in particular. He needs help on this matter. https://twitter.com/maknelly90/status/1093584907954196480

"Dear Producer/Musician friends, has anyone experienced audio glitches and dropouts on your XPS 9570 that has a HDD and not a M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive? Please comment below if you know someone who has or can get someone to do a test on their system!!!"

Let's give him a hand.

February 13th, 2019 05:00

Great, hopefully Dell will fix this finally! I've this problem since the very first day I bought my XPS 15...

1 Message

February 14th, 2019 07:00

Just got my brand new XPS 9570, and same high latency issues with ACPI.sys :(

February 15th, 2019 02:00

I'm suffering from USB keyboard lag and repeated keys as well as the USB mouse pointer freezing occasionally. I don't know enough about it but I wondered iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif ((((((((((((((((left on purpose) this could related to the latency? It feels like thereeeeeeeeeeeeeee there some sort of interrupt every now and again. I can go for quite a while without too much issue but then it goes mad like it is at the moment. I get it on all keyboards but most notably on my mechanical (QPAD) keyboard.

February 15th, 2019 17:00

Same issue with mine. Any known fixes would be appreciated.

1 Message

February 17th, 2019 10:00

I have this problem as well. Dell xps 15 9570 i7 500GB SSD. I only found this thread after wasting a lot of my time. So fix this please dell. Any idea when this fix will be coming? 

I can't help but notice there isn't one comment from Dell themselves in this thread. 

February 18th, 2019 09:00

Anyone tried disabling c-state control in the bios? It appears to have fixed my keyboard/mouse lag and I haven't noticed my audio popping today either. Might be completely unrelated, but worth a try!?

Kudos to @pherrman for the original suggestion!

42 Posts

February 21st, 2019 05:00

I´ve disabled C-state now and tested. The problems (clicks and pops, with audio production softwares like Waves GTR 3 and Presonus Studio One 4, with external audio interface, Focusrite 6 USB) for me are still there with C-state disabled.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 16:00

Exact same issue here, I have an XPS 9560 - 32Gb Ram - 1TB SSD

I am using a Universal Audio Apollo sound card over thunderbolt and these CPU spikes due to DPC latency are causing cracks and disrupting my DAW. 

I tried using Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, in their latest version. All is up to date, I have configured my system to all settings recommended for audio production, and this happens without warning, randomly. Software still runs, but it is not workable as such..

DELL, please fix this! For the price I paid, I should have gotten a macbook pro.... seriously...

14 Posts

February 24th, 2019 14:00

Hey all, this Guy Nelson Mak is currently assigned to solving this DPC latency problem, here's a link to his tweet about it. I sincerely hope we get some results out of this. Check it out..

https://twitter.com/maknelly90/status/1098272568216350720

Edit: Sorry, someone already posted this earlier, delete if required.

14 Posts

March 5th, 2019 02:00

It seems to have gotten better -- could well be thanks to a BIOS or Windows/driver update, of which there have been a couple. When I run DPC Latency Checker, I am mostly in the green now. However, there are still regular pops and clicks, just not as often, both when using internal sound card/speakers as well as through the USB external one. It is annoying to not even be able to listen to the music properly, and of course it is disturbing while working with sound in itself. But to either perform or record audio out straight from the computer is plain impossible; in fact so is using the laptop for any public presentation involving audio. Especially since there is another problem with background hum coming from the PSU (disappears when the power adapter is unplugged). So apart from endlessly waiting for Dell to solve this and pray God they won't give up -- what's my best bet right now to get this machine as fit for audio as possible? Change the wifi card for Intel's I heard -- is it still worth it after the updates? Is there a way to eliminate the PSU hum? Would getting a new fast audio interface (e.g. Thunderbolt-based) help with any of this?

1 Message

March 9th, 2019 11:00

Bump. Great posted questions!

I refuse to buy an XPS until I see the solution to this.  Since I'm an engineer I am often asked which laptop should someone purchase?

I obviously cannot no longer recommend the XPS until I see that this DPC latency issue is totally solved and that there is no PSU hum ...especially which would cause a problem during live events in which laptop need to be used.

1 Message

March 10th, 2019 14:00

Dear Dell users and tech-support people,

Some of you may already know this but the ACPI.sys related latency issues, identified through LatencyMon or other diagnostic tools, are rampant in other Win10 systems as well. Actually, after some googling you will realize that similar complaints have occasionally been surfacing since 2014.

I have a Lenovo Legion Y530 and have been suffering from similar problem. As most of you, I hear audio clicks and pops in a variety of environments, ranging from the use of various home studio software (Ableton, Reaper, or even the stand-alone guitar modelling software for my audio interface) to simple things like watching YouTube videos. I have gone through many other sites and found out -- to my misery -- that no "one-size-fits-all" solution is available.

I tried all the steps that many of you have also tried, like making sure that the bios and the system drivers are up-to-date or going through the various "audio performance optimization" modifications I have found. I did not try a clean install for Win10 as it does appear to have achieved anything for anyone. I upgraded my wifi adapter from the original Realtek 8822 to Intel 9560, which has not resolved the issue -- despite a dramatically improved download performance when reasonably far from the router.

One issue that I have recently uncovered, however, may shed some light on a potential, possibly a Win10-related glitch -- at least for my case. I sometimes experience audio clicks and pops when I repeatedly press the screen brightness controls on the keyboard (Fn + F5 or F6 keys on my Lenovo). I have to underline that this does not happen all the time but only when the sounds start of their own (for example, when watching a video or playing guitar through the interface). Then, the clicks/pops seem to respond to the key hits... until they stop altogether. See if this also happens to you and, if it does, please report it so that the tech support can add this onto their diagnostic analyses. 

On a lesser note, Dell support does seem to be doing a better job than others -- at least for the moment. 

March 24th, 2019 11:00

I have experienced the following latency problem: On either the first or second song, the song will stop abruptly for 14.5 seconds (yes I timed it to the tenth of a second and it NEVER varies). Clicking on next song does nothing until the latency delay ends.

And this happens only on the first and second song. Needless to say that pause destroys show momentum. I spent a month off and on exploring DCOM fixes but the instructions were so complicated and incomplete I gave up, with a high potential in Regedit to really screw things up.

Then about a month ago I discovered LantencyMon program and sure enough I was in the red on Highest Measured Interrupt To Process Latency at 3942 ps. Stayed well in the green for Current Measured Interrupt To Process Latency at 400 ps. Highest Reported ISR Routine Execution Time 241 ps. Highest Reported DPC Routine Excecution Time at 3919 ps. Highest Measured Interrupt To Process Latency at 3942 ps triggered the warning

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio ..... likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs (my problem), clicks or pops (not a problem). One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management , disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS set up."

So I did thse fixes:
1, Disabled throttling
2. Replaced BIOS even though I have done so each time DEll issues a new one (though did not go into BIOS to adjust or throttle power
3. And here was part of the solution I found: Disable Wi-Fi during the audio playback (radio show). That got all LatencyMon back in the green
4. Tried playing 3 songs thru prior to the show and then just reversing to the beginning of Song 1 without any double click to start the show. Worked very intermittently.

Did 4 shows without any dropout. Thought it was fixed until the two droputs I had last night, though these were not in the 1st or 2nd song, but was down in the playlist around Song 15.

As a sidelight, I ran ITunes on an ASUS 5 years ago with WIN 7 with no problems. Then on a Dell Insiron 15 5523 on WIN 8.1 but with the same problem.

From my reading numerous complaints on the web, it appeards that Dell has FAILD TO FIX a file called DCPI.SYS. What is REALLY IRKSOME is Dell has had a known problem for 3-4 years and has ignored it. Though a stretch, a good case of false advertising. I bought a $2000 computer with 16 Gb RAM at 2.9 Mhz that is a real paain for my job as a DJ. Others have far more serious problems. I have full warranty and feel like shipping it to Dell and make it clear I need it fixed or I want my money back.

I have been a Dell Customer since 1998. No more. Such a blatant disregard for customers does not engender loyalty. None at all.

1 Message

March 27th, 2019 03:00

Hi guys i found this from sos forum. As it was being said earlier by TS, you have to turn off every little mention of energy saving, both inner processor\MB settings in bios and Win 10's settings. Maximum perfomance, core parking 100%, turn off usb\network power saving in Device manager and in video adapters drivers bla bla bla please whatch it on You tube. Just google how to optimize Windows in terms of DAW using. I also switched Hyper threading off because I am using 48 or 64 samples buffer, live optimized projects and it helped to increase CPU power and get rid of clicks and pops with those latencies. It might degrade perfomance in heavy projects with lots of plug-ins though I think. Did not check that. I have deactivated Page file(do it on your own risk). Switched off all Microsoft background activity. Got rid of unused devices and services and background factory apps and Windows spy features, optimized disks, switched priority to background apps and so on and on But the main thing: I switched off Intel 630 video in device manager and deleted driver of it in safe mode... Next... I switched off all onboard devices including ethernet\wifi\camera\audio\630 video\printers\cardreader. I use usb Wi-Fi stick if I need internet. (You don't have to switch them all it is just my idiotic perfectionism). I only left chipset driver, Intel Serial IO driver(touchpad isn't working full featured without it), and thunderbolt driver. In BIOS leave only main checkbox cheked in Thunderbolt section. After you delete Intel dynamic platform and thermal frame work driver you now are able to turn of ACPI battery in Batteries and get rid of ACPI.sys problem. Before uninstalling that driver, turning of that ACPI battery was not helpful. !BUT! When you turn off ACPI-compliant Control method battery you loose your GTX1050 and it starts to act like mmm like basic video adapter from 90's. Now you get rid off Wdf01000.sys and dxgcrnl.sys and so on... and you are sitting next to your laptop and watching perfect Latencymon bars all night long. But! there are some VST plug-ins that will appear black windowed after loosing gtx. I don't care because there are very little of them for me and I can change them with something else. P.S: I don't remember the order of this checklist and I am not sure that you will need to proceed all the items of this list to get some good results.
No Events found!