Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TM

2 Posts

November 1st, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9570 black screen after BIOS upgrade to 1.5.0

After BIOS upgrade to 1.5.0 laptop does not boot. It shows black screen, fans are working, external monitor stays in sleep mode. I had to roll back BIOS to previous version be able to use it again. As upgrade is marked as urgent, what can be the reason of this failure?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 1st, 2018 10:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Did the BIOS install go through without any issues?

Did you see the Dell logo or any messages on the screen after the BIOS update?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

November 1st, 2018 11:00

Hello, Everything looked fine so far (I was not sitting at the screen all the time though). After flashing screen was always black, no logo, nothing. Only fans are working. I was able to rollback using Ctrl+Esc and inserting AC cable. I tried to repair BIOS too, but that didn't help.

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 16:00

I did the BIOS upgrade to 1.5.0 three days ago as it was marked "Urgent" by Dell.   Since then I have had four separate incidents of this behavior:

The machine freezes without any warning - the screen goes black and thereafter it is completely dead.  Type whatever you'd like, it is a fully dead machine.  "A brick" if you will.

Prior to 1.5.0, I've never seen this problem.   We need an urgent update ASAP

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

December 7th, 2018 06:00

Yesterday the machine did this again - it went black while loading a Virtual Machine, which is not what it was doing the last time.  

The BIOS installed without any issues?   I did not see any messages on boot after the BIOS update.  The Dell update program shows that it is installed.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 7th, 2018 08:00

Have you been able to install the 1.6.0 version?  I always download the update and install myself so I can watch it.

No Events found!