Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

53 Posts

October 6th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15-9570, bring back the 78°C GPU set point

I am requesting that Dell brings back the previous 78C set-point for GPU throttling.  Setting the GPU to throttle at 74C is just way too low and doesn't allow the 1050ti to run at reasonable rates.  If Dell won't allow this, then allow us to go back to bios 1.3.0 or 1.2.2 so we can use our laptop. 

21 Posts

October 7th, 2018 21:00

Yes, they reduced the temp limit without informing the users in the changelog. They also prevented the users to downgrade bios. We didn't buy a machine with 1050ti max q and then later force us to run it slower than a 1050 card.

53 Posts

October 8th, 2018 03:00

Yeah I feel cheated.

68 Posts

October 9th, 2018 05:00

Actually it would be more of a shove down a steep hill if they cover it. Maybe Dell should address this before it becomes a PR problem? 

My XPS 9550 with 950m had more grunt than this crippled machine... but the battery expanded and warped the trackpad after 18 months. It was probably a mistake to buy a Dell again...

53 Posts

October 9th, 2018 13:00

Sadly I don't think Dell really cares about it, but I would love if someone like Linus or Dave did a video on it.  It's too bad they didn't warn users or I wouldn't have "upgraded" only to have my GPU speeds nearly halved in Far Cry 5...

68 Posts

October 9th, 2018 19:00

LTT or D2D would surely do some damage, Dell should care. Yeah that stinks. I've noticed huge performance drops.

68 Posts

October 9th, 2018 19:00

Wow that's low, Dell has censored the word . Honestly is this really a naughty word? or do people use it too often and it hurts Dells feelings :Crying: 

53 Posts

October 11th, 2018 03:00

I spent 35 minutes on the phone with Dell explaining the issue and supposedly he is sending the bios team my feedback.

21 Posts

October 11th, 2018 07:00

Also had a conversation with the tech support 2 weeks ago about this. Still haven't received any response or feedback

44 Posts

October 15th, 2018 06:00

Is there someone from Dell to respond to this?

Drastically lowering the performance of the GPU MONTHS AFTER the laptop has been released, and on top of that, without any notice about the change in the BIOS update (apparently made in BIOS 1.3.1), is clearly a harmful and damaging practice!
Changing the GPU temperature limit for "just" 4 degrees actually causes a huge performance degradation in many games.

I really hope this was just a mistake in the BIOS update (that Dell apparently isn't even aware of) and will be corrected soon.

68 Posts

October 15th, 2018 09:00

List of Issues:

• GPU drivers aren't working correctly
  • Problems with Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
  • Thermal Throttling - leading to terrible performance
  • BIOS updates slowing performance and causing more problems
  • Missing Keystrokes '' and ' require pressing the key 2x (even with a USB keyboard!)
  • Most Adobe applications crash 20 seconds after starting
  • Videos stutter for the first 3 seconds on YouTube, Vimeo etc.
  • Videos don't upscale correctly, instead they have a pixelated grid pattern after the play bar disappears 
  • 10 year old games have dips in frame-rate down to 15-20fps even on low settings @1280x720 ???
  • High audio latency and terrible sound glitches if you do too many things at once
  • Dell not fixing said issues, completely ignoring users :Angry:

Even with a factory re-image from the recovery partition, upgrading drivers from the Dell site, rolling back drivers, removing drivers - the laptop still has all these issues. As many people here know, Dell has prevented BIOS rollbacks and has been silent on the matter... Unfortunately the laptop has major issues with the BIOS, drivers and thermal design...

21 Posts

October 17th, 2018 08:00

I'm also getting a weird display bug on the HDMI output of the laptop after waking up from sleep. The extra display will flicker or get out of sync for a split second randomly. The temporary fix it to let it sleep and wake again or restart the laptop.

53 Posts

October 18th, 2018 03:00

Still nothing from Dell on my end, I think I'm going to email tech support again.  It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease right?

1 Message

October 18th, 2018 09:00

I was wondering what happend to my GPU performance a few days ago after upgrading to the new BIOS and ofcourse it had some sort of performance cut integrated. Good to see I am not the only one who is furious about this.

16 Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

You can temporarily get past all these issues, you have disable certain Dynamic Platform style Thermal Framework type Management kinds of software in order to get purely hardware throttling (around 87c-90c)

Every once in a while the computer does its own self check and re-enables the software for me. Noticed that it happened again today while playing Fortnite.

I disabled it and started enjoying my games again.

PLEASE FIX THIS DELL. PLEASE.

53 Posts

October 19th, 2018 14:00

Just got this from Dell:

"I have not received a reply to my previous emails and I hope that the issues have been resolved. If you need any assistance with the issue, please reply to my email and I will contact you to assist you further."

Ummm no you have not magically resolved my issue by waiting it out.  Needless to say I sent Dell an email.

No Events found!