Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 15 9570, coil whine on SSD, on AC adapter

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a lot of coil whine at three distinct places when my SSD is under load for extended periods of time. With load I mean, for example: downloading a large file, extracting a large compressed file, performing a large file transfer etc. The places where I experience coil whine are:

1. Inside of the adapter (power brick) itself;
2. At the AC connecter inside of the laptop (left upper side of the laptop);
3. Inside of the m2 nvme ssd.

The coil whine is clearly audible, even with ambient sound levels being normal (so not only in a silent room).

The noise stops almost completely when I unplug the adapter. Only the coil while mentioned at 1 (inside of the adapter) persists, which is still plugged into the power socket. Due to this I'm suspecting the power brick to cause the coil whine inside of the laptop.

The configuration of my xps 15 is:

Name: XPS 15 (9570)
Model no: CNX97003
CPU: Intel i7-8750H
RAM: 16gb (Brand: Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD 2x8GB)
SSD: 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive (Brand: Pc401 NVMe SK hynix 512GB)
Power cord: European, 130W Power Adapter
Battery: 6-Cell 97WHr Integrated
GPU: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5
Receivers: Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth

Has anybody else experienced this problem? When googling I could see similar issues being present in the XPS 15 9560 models, but I haven't seen any for the 9570 yet.

Does anybody have some suggestions on what I could do?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 9570 coil whine on ssd while on AC adapter

Experiencing the same coil whine at the exact same places. I have the same config as you do. Is there a remedy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Is the coil whine noise heard if the AC adapter is disconnected?

What is BIOS version installed?

Do you hear the noise every time you turn on the system or is it intermittent?

Is the noise heard only in a quiet environment or is it heard even in a noisy environment or when playing music?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm bought this laptop exactly a week from last Friday. I have already update the Bios to the latest version 1.6.0 and drivers, and the problem still existing. The buzzing noise disappear while AC adapter is disconnected. Why are they having this kind of issue on a exclusive luxury laptop?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi TsanAmin,

Please check if the noise is heard only in a quiet environment. Please share an audio of the issue if possible, I will have this escalated.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I bought the Del 9570 a few days ago and also managed to hear an electric buzzing sound from the "R" "T" keys. The noise is independent of whether it is connected or disconnected from the adapter, it is always sounding.

The noise decreases when you choose in Windows 10 "Power mode: best battery life" and increases when you choose "Power mode:" Best performance "

Luis Toro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem goes to me, I'm buying this laptop not more than a week, and today I contact the dell service center, they say is my adapter problem, and I'm the first guy who having this issue, kind of disappointed to dell product, as my previous laptop was Asus, Lenovo, and Hp, none of them have issues and it maintain 3-5 years working fine. This laptop pretty costing a lot of my money, and I was actually need it for my works for this coming weekend.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue and my computer specs are the same as yours. Need help!! I have everything updated...

Noise comes through the output of my USB Clarett 4PRE audio interface. Doesnt happen when running it with a Macbook Pro 8,1 (early 2011). It happens when the computer is plugged to AC power. It is unusable for me.

Any solutions?!

Thanks.

Diego.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for your message. Do you hear the noise if the USB Clarett 4PRE is not connected?

Have you observed any heating issues with the system?

Do you hear the noise from the right or the left side of the keyboard?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.     

How to locate the service tag

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have same issue.

First time I bought Dell Precision 5530. I was hearing it loudly after few days. Than I returned the product and bought Dell xps 9570 I updated bios, all drivers downloaded from dell site but the coil buzzing still there. For this money there shouldnt be this kind of noise. I am going to return dell xps.

0 Kudos