Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

57 Posts

May 21st, 2019 13:00

XPS 15 9570 forgets wifi

I have a XPS 15 9570 bought in Feb 2019, running Win 10 Pro with all Windows and Dell updates installed. This PC has never remembered any wifi. Every time I start up the PC I have to chose my network, enter password and of course click on auto reconnect even though it doesn't work.

Network SSIDs are hidden.

I have several Dell PCs in the house and none has the same problem.

57 Posts

May 28th, 2019 11:00

Even though this, at the end, seems to be a [rather common] Windows problem, and not directly a Dell related issue, I’m less than impressed by the Dell support. Due to some reason the support was given via messages, not openly on the forum. The support consisted of two short messages.

The first with a link to a non-Dell YouTube video which made sense but unfortunately didn’t help. The other message contained links to Dell's general Wifi issues and how to solve them, like setting up a Wifi and connecting to it. Why someone thought these links would help I don’t know. After that no more response.

Instead I went back to spend numerous hours of googling "Windows won't connect to wifi automatically and asks password each time" and likewise. In vain I tried:

• Forget network and create new connections automatically
  • Reset/Uninstall wifi network adapter
  • Disable/Enable the WiFi-adapter
  • Stop the WLAN AutoConfig Service and delete some Wlansvc files
  • Stop and disable Killer Network Services

The only way to get the PC to connect to, and remember, the wifi was to broadcast its SSID which I don’t want to. But while testing this I run MS Troubleshooting on the functioning connection in order to see what came out of this. The report showed around 40 WLAN profiles existing on the PC even though I had only used it outside my office once. Some profiles where several years old. The profiles can be seen with the “netsh wlan show profiles” command as well as under "Open network & Internet settings" - "WIFI" - "Manage known Networks". I hadn’t used/looked at the latter since I thought this PC only had my office WLAN profile plus one hotel’s. Instead I had used the Networks flyout in the status bar where only present wifis are seen.

As a test, I removed 4-5 profiles with the help of the “netsh wlan delete profile name= ” command. And see, now the PC could connect, and remember, also hidden SSIDs. All WLAN profiles are now removed, and the office profile was, again, created manually.

So, either Windows 10 cannot have more than 40 WLAN profiles or something else happened “under the hood” while I removed them. I cannot believe that Windows 10 cannot handle +40 WLAN profiles. Also, my other DELL PCs had the same profiles (roaming via my Microsoft account I assume) and haven’t had any issues with those.

The bad experience of the Dell support is unfortunately in line with the support I got for my previous, 4 years old PC, I had to scrap due to unknown reason (https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7548-Windows-10-won-t-Shut-Down/m-p/7237625). My request to pay for support by the hour, was not even answered upon.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 28th, 2019 13:00

Thank you for your message. I understand that your experience with us has been not good so far.  However, let me assure that our customers are and will always remain our priority.

This seems to be an issue with the windows profile. Please try creating a new local Microsoft account by following this link & check if the issue persists.

57 Posts

May 29th, 2019 08:00

Should I do this only to see if the error disappears, i.e. lies in the old user account and if so, go back to the old account and continue to look for the error there, or? Due to that some software relies on the present account name, moving to a new account is not an option.

If the reason for your suggestion is to see if the error lies in the old account, I assume that you have a plan on what steps should be taken to continue to search for the root cause there?

On the other hand, with all the old WLAN profiles deleted, how can I recreate the error?

No Events found!