Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2020 03:00

XPS 15 9570, headphone jack not working

Hey all.

I am attempting to use headset, it was working fine but suddenly after rebooting my laptop it stopped working now my Dell XPS 15 (9570) is not recognizing any earphones or headphones . i tried changing drivers updating drivers even i changed my windows but it didn't help me . it doesn't recognise any audio devices through headphone jack.  Any info helps.

Thanks. 

4 Posts

August 15th, 2020 03:00

Found a solution that just worked now on another thread. The solution worked from @jman985 . Somehow Waves was disabled in startup because I hated it and didn't need it back then but seems now this software is needed. Also the popup is now showing again when I plug in something to ask me what I just plugged.

After you reinstall the new Realtek HD Audio Driver from the Dell website (remember it takes TWO restarts - one restart to uninstall the current driver, then another to install the new driver), make sure you Enable the Waves MaxxAudio Service Application via Task Manager (or via the Settings app):

1.  Open Task Manager
  2.  Navigate to the "Startup" tab
  3.  Scroll down to "Waves MaxxAudio Service Application" - right-click on it and then select "Enable"
  4.  Restart your computer and it should work now.

You can also do this via the Settings app:

1.  Open "Settings"
  2.  Click on "Apps", then navigate to "Startup" on the left-side panel
  3.  Find "Waves MaxxAudio Service Application" and move the slider to "On"
  4.  Restart your computer and it should work now.

August 14th, 2020 07:00

I have the same problem. After latest automatic update (13 August 2020), the headphone jack stopped working entirely. Whether I plug in extrernal speakers or headphones, the troubleshooter seems to think there's no devide plugged in at all. 

4 Posts

August 15th, 2020 03:00

Same here on my XPS 9570. The laptop doesn't seem to catch up when I plug in a mini jack. It says "no input signal". This is so annoying I also tried multiple times to reinstall drivers, reinstall MaxxAudio... no luck.

8 Posts

August 24th, 2020 01:00

Pierre,

you are brilliant! For weeks now I have been about to throw my XPS 13 9370 at the wall. I have two XPS's laptops. The 9345 does not use WaveMaxx software and has never given a problem. The 9370 has WaveMaxx and the headset/external jack socket has only worked if the cord was plugged in at boot, but then only once. I have tried everything written on the internet without success, that is until you provided the very simple solution! A very very big thank you, or is it merci?

Two questions. 1/ Why did Dell decide to mix two bits of software to manage audio when they switched to a combination of Realtek and WaveMaxx? Surely a recipe for problems. 2/ When WaveMaxx is installed (and I have done it many times), why doesn't it default to starting with Windows?

Incidentally when I right click on the speaker icon and select 'Open Sound Settings', there is still a flash of something trying to open, then nothing. Maybe because Windows doesn't know which part of this mixed software is doing what?

Best wishes

Ian

September 3rd, 2020 11:00

@Pierre.F Thank you! Thank you!! THANK YOU!!! This has been bugging me for weeks! Microsoft couldn't figure it out, Dell couldn't figure it out, but you, sir, have nailed it!

September 4th, 2020 09:00

Turns out enabling Waves MaxxAudio didn't restore all functionality. Output devices are back to normal, but the system fails to recognise stand-alone microphones. It recognises the microphone that's part of a headset, though I have to open MaxxAudio and switch the "Select output device" setting from "Speakers" or "Headphone" to "Headset". This is annoying, but I can tolerate it. However, there is no option for "Microphone" and when a stand-alone mic is plugged in, its audio input is not recognised by the system. 

8 Posts

September 9th, 2020 03:00

Hi. Well my XPS 13 9370 does not have a line in jack so I can't help you further. I do however use a Logitech web cam that has a mic built in. I connect this via a USB to C_Port adaptor and it works fine.

1 Message

November 17th, 2020 12:00

Greetings,

I had this same trouble after recent update of software on 11-16-2020.  Headset would only work if plugged in during startup.  If unplugged after that, or not plugged in during start up, headset would not be "recognized" and sound only played through laptop speakers.  I ended up downloading and re-installing BOTH Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, and the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application from the Dell website, then having to restart a few times as prompted by the install wizard:

Both apps are checked "ON" in settings/startup, and both are "ENABLED" in Task Manager/startup.  Look for a MaxAudioPro pop-up window (sometimes pops up, and sometimes Waves logo just blinks in lower right corner of task bar) each time you plug headphones or headset.  Then select device type - "Headset / On Ear" for instance - kind of a pain to select each time but I don't think there is any way around this and it only takes a second or two to select .

-DFS

No Events found!