Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

20 Posts

June 24th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15 9570 is really slow after update to BIOS 1.11.2

Hello,

yesterday I have updated my XPS 15 9570 to the latest BIOS version 1.11.2  In the release notes I can read "Enhances thermal management of the system." Unfortunately this thermal improvements causes extreme trotteling of the CPU while the fans are relatively quite.

-> Running Prime95 on 12 threads for some minutes (Windows 10 power setting "Max performance", Dell Power Manager: Optimized, on AC adapter) causes the system to have a 58°C CPU at 1,4GHz while fans are running just at 3.7000 RPM. Super silent but super slow!!!!!!

I am expecting a next BIOS version fixing this. Yes! Silent fans are great. But why I have a 1,4GHz CPU at 58°C while fans are not running at full speed. The CPU package power is just 12.5W (PL1 Power Limit!) instead of the designed 45W. That must be a BUG! Am even not using the GPU while doing this test.

Here are some further details:

After some minutes of stress testing the CPU frequency is decreased. Also fan speed an temperature are going down!

XPS15LowPower.pngThat is the final stable state:

XPS15LowPower_3.pngXPS15LowPower_2.pngMuch to slow for this premium Notebook.

I hope this will be fixed.

Regards,

Thomas.

20 Posts

June 24th, 2019 23:00

Hello, I was just back to the previous BIOS version 1.10.1. Unfortunately the problem was not gone. So I am not sure, if the problem starts with a previous BIOS version or the problem is not fixed with a BIOS rollback or I have some other troubles.... Are there any other users having he same trouble? Regards, Thomas.

20 Posts

June 25th, 2019 00:00

Hallo,

some further details:

Maybe that this problem is caused especially by Prime95 and other CPU intensive task are less effected by the low CPU frequenzy and low temporature problem. Even the Prim95 Test "Small FFTs" which uses less RAM is running stable at 2,5GHz at full FAN speed. Especially the "Blend" test which is using more RAM leads to low CPU frequencies (1,2GHz) at low FAN speed.

Regards,

Thomas.

20 Posts

June 25th, 2019 04:00

Hello,

it seems, that the problem is not caused by the new BIOS.

It was and is:

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

After uninstalling and testing (before Windows update installs it again) the CPU reaches 97°C while stress testing again. Which is what I would expect in full performance mode (power plan and dell power magagement settings....)

Regards,

Thomas.

June 26th, 2019 19:00

Hi ThomasXPS15,

Could you please advise how to uninstall "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework"?

Thanks!

1 Message

June 27th, 2019 08:00

Intel problem.pngHello, I checked what you just said and then I encountered this situation, it's supposed to work this way or you think they are overlapping each other and then causing the slow in the performance? 

I thank you in advance, 

Andr_Moura 

July 1st, 2019 11:00

I’ve also recently noticed a lot of throttling when all 6 cores on my machine are being used. My machine is not throttling as bad as yours, but I will hit 25 watts or so on the PL1 power limit. This is running images through pix4d. I’ll take a look into the intel thermal framework driver and see if uninstalling and reinstalling it helps.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2019 04:00

event-horizon,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

20 Posts

July 10th, 2019 03:00

Hello, some further details about my problem: I have an XPS 9570 for which I have updated following components: SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB RAM: Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-2666, CL18-19-19-39 (CMSX32GX4M2A2666C18) Everything is working fine and stable since months (except the throtteling problem which suddenly appears somewhere in the past....). To solve the throtteling problem described above I have done following: 1. start Prime95 on 12 threads for some minutes (Windows 10 power setting "Max performance", Dell Power Manager: Optimized, on AC adapter) and wait until CPU goes down to about 1Ghz and fan getting silent... 2. start hwinfo and start watching of sensors for CPU frequency, fan speed, cpu temp, memory temp (if available), ssd temp, and the other ambient temp sensors. 3. open device manager 4. look for the "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant" devices under "System devices" 5. for each of these devices open the properties and look for the device with "ACPI\INT3403\NGFF" as device path (this is the SSD device reporting sensor result to the Intel DPTF). 6. uninstall the device with the device path "ACPI\INT3403\NGFF" (via context menu of the device in the device manager tree) 7. immediately after the uninstall I could see, that the CPU goes up to 3GHz and above... (prime95 was still running) 8. also uninstall the device with the path "ACPI\INT3403\TMEM" 9. after that CPU was running as expected and normal thermal throtteling was started (fans are spinning up and CPU is working as fast as thermal conditions allow this... 3GHz and above...) WARNING: Windows would install the drivers for the uninstalled devices after triggering a "search for new devices" or via Windows update. So I have blocked device driver installation via group policy for devices with the hardware ID "ACPI\INT3403". Unfortunately all other still installed DPTF devices have the same hardware ID and they will not be updated via future driver updates with this policy. So this is still a temporary workaround. I think DELL has done a bad job implementing his BIOS for the XPS 15. It seems, that only hardware components distributed by DELL a supported by the BIOS. My own hardware replacements lead to wrong reported thermal sonsor data to DPTF causing this big thermal trotteling issures event all components are staying cold. I have also observed SSD and memory temperatures after uninstalling the both corresponding DPTF devices. CPU is running at full speed, fans are working at full speed while Prim95 is running and SSD and memory temp are staying stable far below the max operating temperatures. I hope this information helps to improve your XPS 15 and helps some others having the same troubles. Regards, Thomas.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 10th, 2019 08:00

ThomasXPS15,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

20 Posts

July 12th, 2019 05:00

Hello, I think I have already send my service tag to you. But my service period is over... I have started this community post to give you some feedback about your product and to allow you to improve it. Maybe other customers have same troubles and my feedback could help them also. So I do not expect any individual support. Thanks, Thomas.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2019 00:00

Hi, I had a very similar problem, 1.11.2 made everything very sluggish but ONLY when the laptop was plugged in. I have a XPS 15 9550 running elementary OS BTW.

Eventually, I rolled back on 1.10 and all is good.

A couple days ago, I saw that on the 9550 page Dell deleted 1.11.2 only to publish 1.9.0 (dating back from 2018) as the newest and latest; no idea why, since 1.10 is newer (March 2019) and works perfectly.

Today though 1.11.2 reappeared, with no mention of "Enhances thermal management of the system" in details.

I tried it, but the sluggishness when plugged in reappeared so I rolled back once again on 1.10.

Dell, make up your mind with 1.11.2!  

September 7th, 2019 12:00

i am having the same issue except mt processor seems to be caped at a max speed 0f .80 when i stress test using the intel extreme tuning  utility and the GPU performance is horrid. Total waste of money im unable to record audio as i have foreign noise on my recorded tracks. Already had too send it in cause the 4k touchscreen stopped working have not even owned it for 6months problem after problem after problem after problem  !

No Events found!