Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2019 06:00

XPS 15 9570, keeps rebooting

Hi. I have an XPS 15 9570 that has worked perfectly for a number of years. All of a sudden it started rebooting and won't stop! It starts to boot, shows the Dell splash screen, then you can see the power go out, and it reboots and starts all over again.

* I have tried this with the power cable plugged in or not plugged in
* I have tried booting from an attached cd/dvd player or from a bootable USB stick. They both seemed to be recognized (light up) but then the power quits, so they never are able to continue
* It's not a power failure on the machine itself as I am able to go into the boot menu (F12) and the machine stays on
* I ran the diagnostics (quick and full). It says everything is 100% ok. I even ran the bios reset as an act of desperation, but that did nothing either

Any ideas on what I could try next? I'm willing to do a full restore, but if nothing gets recognized long enough to start up, then? Are there any other restore options from the boot menu that I should try?

Thanks, Ed

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 13th, 2019 07:00

@Ed in Yorktown wrote:

No.  And I think I may have made it worse.  If that’s possible! :-)

i removed the ssd and put it in an enclosure that lets you view the contents.  The drive was completely readable, so the data is good.  But if it was supposed to boot from that drive and that’s what seems to be failing.

The other obstacle was that I couldn’t get my thumb drive to boot.  I even made it the first in the boot order.  No go.

In one of the bios settings I was able to re-order the drives or partitions accessed.  There were just two choices. Something different from the boot order.  Not exactly sure what I did.  Anyway, the thumb drive booted and I saw a choice to install to an OS partition, so I did, thinking that might be a “refresh”.

Now I have Windows installed in some small partition.  The machine boots, but into a drive with only 20 gigs of free space.  

With the drive utility tool I can see a 500 gig partition, but don’t know how to get at it.  I didn’t see a control for creating a new drive.  I don’t think that’s the correct solution anyway.  I’d probably never be able to run any updates against the OS drive now because of the limited space.

Current status?  A machine that boots but is completely useless. 

Maybe I’ll try booting from the USB again and see if there is something else I could have done.

Ed

@Ed in Yorktown you should be able to select the partition you install Windows to when you run the setup. It's normally drive 0 or the largest drive. The following guide should be helpful - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300635/how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-dell-windows-10-recovery-dvd?lang=en alternatively you can use this guide https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en

Alan

9 Posts

May 9th, 2019 21:00

I have exactly the same problem on my XPS13.  Someone must have a solution this.  Help

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 10th, 2019 07:00

@Dawgbyte wrote:

I have exactly the same problem on my XPS13.  Someone must have a solution this.  Help

Hi @Dawgbyte there are many factors which could be contributing to way your system is responding. In order to get a better idea of what could be causing it, can you help me out with a few additional details please - 

a) When the system restarts, is it before the system boots into Windows or is it always inside Windows?
b) Is the system shutting down to off at all or does it always restart itself?
c) Do you get any error messages before or after it restarts?
d) How long can it be before the system restarts, is it within 5 - 20 minutes or after a few hours?
e) Can you feel the system getting excessively hot or hear high fan activity before the system restarts?
f) Can you run the online performance diagnostics please and let me know if it completes without error, returns an error code or restarts during the test. To run the online diagnostics click on the following link - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/diagnose and select "Full test"

Once you have the above information I can advise further.

Alan

9 Posts

May 10th, 2019 08:00

@Dell-Alan D

1.  My laptop restarts immediately after the dell splash. About 2 seconds.  It does not boot into windows.

2.  The laptop always restarts its self it never shuts down.

3.  There are no error messages

4.  The laptop restarts within seconds the cycle from start-up to restart is less than 30 seconds.

5.  The laptop is not overheating it is normal the fan is working perfectly.  I have disconnected the battery and cmos as suggested in other support areas with no difference.

6.  I have run full test diagnostics and have no errors.  

The system will not give me the option to boot to a thumb drive it only allows me to go to bios and run the diagnostics.

9 Posts

May 10th, 2019 22:00

@Ed in Yonkers 

Have you found a solution for your laptop?  I have the exact same problem

May 11th, 2019 03:00

No.  And I think I may have made it worse.  If that’s possible! :-)

i removed the ssd and put it in an enclosure that lets you view the contents.  The drive was completely readable, so the data is good.  But if it was supposed to boot from that drive and that’s what seems to be failing.

The other obstacle was that I couldn’t get my thumb drive to boot.  I even made it the first in the boot order.  No go.

In one of the bios settings I was able to re-order the drives or partitions accessed.  There were just two choices. Something different from the boot order.  Not exactly sure what I did.  Anyway, the thumb drive booted and I saw a choice to install to an OS partition, so I did, thinking that might be a “refresh”.

Now I have Windows installed in some small partition.  The machine boots, but into a drive with only 20 gigs of free space.  

With the drive utility tool I can see a 500 gig partition, but don’t know how to get at it.  I didn’t see a control for creating a new drive.  I don’t think that’s the correct solution anyway.  I’d probably never be able to run any updates against the OS drive now because of the limited space.

Current status?  A machine that boots but is completely useless. 

Maybe I’ll try booting from the USB again and see if there is something else I could have done.

Ed

9 Posts

May 11th, 2019 07:00

@Dell-Alan D @Ed in Yonkers 

I am wondering if it is a bios setting or if I install a new SSD if that will work?  Ideas anyone?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 13th, 2019 07:00

@Dawgbyte wrote:

@Dell-Alan D

1.  My laptop restarts immediately after the dell splash. About 2 seconds.  It does not boot into windows.

2.  The laptop always restarts its self it never shuts down.

3.  There are no error messages

4.  The laptop restarts within seconds the cycle from start-up to restart is less than 30 seconds.

5.  The laptop is not overheating it is normal the fan is working perfectly.  I have disconnected the battery and cmos as suggested in other support areas with no difference.

6.  I have run full test diagnostics and have no errors.  

The system will not give me the option to boot to a thumb drive it only allows me to go to bios and run the diagnostics.

Going by the responses you have provided it sounds like their is either a problem with Windows, possibly when it's trying to boot to it but I'm thinking more motherboard or drive.

You could try loading the BIOS defaults and see what then happens. Your comment of not being to boot to a thumb drive would suggest incorrect BIOS configuration.

Access the BIOS and in the bottom right corner of the screen select "Load Defaults" Save and exit and then restart the laptop

Does it now at least boot to Windows?

If not, can you now at least boot to the USB key you have to attempt a Windows repair?

Alan 

No Events found!