Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

5 Posts

July 12th, 2018 11:00

The same issue in Precision 5530. Will BIOS update fix it? When???!!!! Got my laptop 3 days ago :-(   Writing this post is a headache

5 Posts

July 12th, 2018 12:00

Please report the same issue in Precision 5530...

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 12th, 2018 15:00

@Caz74,

You can check back on this forum for updates. I will keep the list updated as best I can.

@amt-jr,

I've started a case on the 5530 and will be back with updates in the future.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 13th, 2018 12:00

@hkits,

5590 update below.

@Community,

XPS 15 9570/Precision 5530 update below:

Resolved:

XPS 9550 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

XPS 9560 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

Precision 5510 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

Precision 5520 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

XPS 13 9370 - Fix introduced in BIOS 1.3.3 and carried over to latest 1.4.0

Latitude 5289 - 1.13.0  - Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time

Latitude 5290 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 5490 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 5590 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7290 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7390 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7490 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

In progress:

XPS 13 9350 - Issue replicated in house and concern submitted to Dell engineering. Awaiting updates from internal sources. 

XPS 13 9365 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update. New ETA to come soon

XPS 15 9570 - Dell engineering is looking to spread the same fix from other models to 9570

Precision 5530 - Dell engineering is looking to spread the same fix from other models to Precision 5530

Inspiron 13 5379 - The Inspiron 5379 was confirmed to have a different issue and will not be receiving the same fix.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 13th, 2018 16:00

@jeking3

Go ahead and send me your service tag in PM. I'll see if there's anything else I can do. 

11 Posts

July 13th, 2018 16:00

I sent my 9570 back for repair to the depot.

The service documentation says they "replaced the keyboard".

It didn't fix a **bleep** thing.

I tried the July 12 BIOS update.  It also didn't fix the problem.  The laptop is UNUSABLE when the keyboard drops keyclicks!

I am returning this thing for a full refund.  This is utterly ridiculous.  I had two of them and they both did the same thing.  I've had this laptop for over a month and without it for over a week at the depot, and the depot A) did a repair support already asked me to do and B) sent it back claiming it was fixed when clearly it was not.

This is not the Dell I remember.  I always used to tell people to buy Dell.  I can't say that any more.  I've been writing software for 27 years and the majority of that time has been on Dell systems.  I am incredibly disappointed in Dell right now.  It's a shame, as this laptop seems well put together, nice screen, seems fast.  I can't believe the keyboard controller is this defective.  How did it even get through QA?  Someone did not do their job.

What's even worse is that I bought a "one time" Windows Pro upgrade key from Microsoft so I could join this system to my domain.  Microsoft refuses to refund the $100 charge, so I'm out money too.  Microsoft has no idea how to deal with one-time pro upgrades and returned systems.

I was thinking of getting a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation but now, I think I am going to look elsewhere.

1 Message

July 14th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for the updates on this, Justin.

Jumping in here as an IT guy who supports a number of unhappy users on new 9570s.

So it sounds like the 9570 BIOS update released on July 12 didn't fix the issue? I don't want to ask my users to install that update if another one is coming soon that will actually resolve their primary concern.

That said, the fact that Dell didn't wait to release that update -- so it could include the keyboard fix -- doesn't bode well for that issue being resolved soon.

11 Posts

July 15th, 2018 04:00

Thanks, I will hold off on beginning the return process for a few days, hopefully you can pull a rabbit out of your hat.

12 Posts

July 15th, 2018 23:00

WHEN WILL THEY FIX THIS ISSUE!!! IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!! I BOUGHT THIS ESPECIALLY FOR TYPING FOR WORK!!! DELL CMON!!!

12 Posts

July 15th, 2018 23:00

just to let u all know its not a hardware issue with the keyboard... its a bug which is causing a delay/latency... a dell technician came with a refurbished 9560 keyboard and we tested it but the problem still persists... he asked me to return it but i cant because i was travelling for work and i needed a laptop for the whole month... so pls Dell come out with an update already pls

5 Posts

July 17th, 2018 23:00

My update for Precision 5530:

Technician has inserted new keyboard. Problem still exists. Waiting for other parts, even motherboard...  

2 Posts

July 18th, 2018 04:00

@DELL-Justin C,

Thanks for the update on 7/13. Any update from Dell Engineering by chance?

73 Posts

July 20th, 2018 12:00

Just wanted to chime in that Im having this same issue, noticed it while on vacation this week and it's starting to drive me mad.  This is also my work laptop and primary computer so this is going to make me want to get somethig else if nothing can be done to fix this.  

Also note that any spelling mistakes I made in this post I left intentionally to show where my key presses didn't register (the apostrophe in I'm and the n in something).

11 Posts

July 21st, 2018 09:00

I escalated the issue and now have a contact in the Advanced Resolution Group.  I will reply with updates as the issue progresses.  As of right now I have no additional information.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2018 10:00

Hi all,

Owner of a new XPS 15 FHD model here and I'm also experiencing this issue. It happens randomly to any key and multiple times per sentence. I don't think this is hardware related as it would be more consistent... Feels to me it is software related. 

It is driving me crazy and for any laptop (certainly one for this price) the keyboard should function properly, it is really unacceptable.

I use this laptop for work, so I really need this fixed. Hopefully a BIOS fix will be able to resolve this as for the rest I'm pretty happy with my laptop. I'll be working on an external keyboard most of the time, but on the go, this needs to be fixed.

Looking forward to a solution!

No Events found!