Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

73 Posts

July 24th, 2018 06:00

Any new updates yet?  We need this fixed immediately!

July 24th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

I am from France.

I have got this problem too, even after a full keyboard and palmrest replacement.

I bought this laptop for work, it is actually a nightmare to use it ! Password, email adresses... every missed key are a pain !

I am thinking about sending it back...

July 25th, 2018 15:00

This is completely absurd. I've had this laptop for two months now and I am extremely disappointed. I tried contacting Dell support and received basically no help. They keep wanting me to return my laptop to the service center. I have explained numerous times this is clearly a BIOS issue, not hardware, and that replacing the keyboard has not resolved the exact same problem that tons of people are reporting. They won't even acknowledge this. Returning this laptop this week. I used to love the XPS 15 line and now wouldn't recommend it to anyone. What terrible quality control...

3 Posts

July 26th, 2018 07:00

Maybe I found a solution!

I have verified that restoring the PC to factory settings via SupportAssist from bios, and avoiding Windows updates, the keyboard problem does not occur, but after the first cumulative updates, the keyboard starts to "lost keys".

I can't agree to keep an outdated version of Windows so I looked for a way to install the latest one.

After trying all the possible recovery and update procedures, I tried the most drastic one: recreating and formatting the disk partitions and installing the latest version of Windows 10 (1803).

At the end of the setup, running WITHOUT Internet connection, I suspended the updates to avoid surprises and I activated the WiFi connection.

I installed the missing drivers from "Device Manager" and let Windows download the latest version automatically.

I saved a "restore point" and installed the SupportAssist from the DELL website (but I didn't update the two proposed drivers that didn't seem essential).

At the moment the problem of missing keys seems to be solved!

I still don't know which Windows update created the problem, but it seems that I don't need a BIOS update.

Obviously, DELL should provide a better solution, but if any of you can do it, I hope that this method solves the problem as I do (I can not guarantee that it will work)

It's a cruel world ;-)

July 26th, 2018 21:00

Received my 9570 today, noticed the keyboard issue fairly quick. Very annoying. After reading the post above saying it was related to a windows update. I decided to load up Ubuntu 18.04 from a flash drive using the boot loader (hit f12 on start). After the Ubuntu desktop loaded I launched the basic text editor and began to type what ever came to mind. To my surprise no missing letters. I tried it again and again and couldn't get the bug to happen. Actually the keyboard responded quit well. Anyway, I do believe it may be a windows problem caused by update. Anyway, that's my story, hope it's fixed soon.   

3 Posts

July 27th, 2018 07:00

A little update on "Drastic Fix Procedure":

I enabled the automatic Windows Updates Service, installed the cumulative updates of July and all seems to be ok!

I hope that someone at DELL Suport Center will tell something about this and release an official fix procedure, but maybe, they are too busy replacing keyboards or trying to implement a fix for the bios and don't have time to execute required tests ;-)

Good Luck! 

11 Posts

July 27th, 2018 08:00

Here is a fix from advanced support that seems to have worked:

1. Right-click on the Desktop, and select Intel® Graphics Settings
  2. Click on Power to access the Power Section
  3. Under Power section uncheck the Panel Self-Refresh to disable it.

I did those steps then re booted and I have not seen an issue since.

Please try the same and post the result here!

1 Message

July 27th, 2018 08:00

I followed mentioned steps and after reboot, the skipping keys problem seems to be disappeared! Thanks for sharing!

73 Posts

July 27th, 2018 09:00

**bleep**, that's wierd why would monitor refresh rate have anything to do with this, and also how did you even think to try this?  I will try this later and report back.

Not 100% sure, but it seems to be al good for me too.

I followed the previously described steps with Intel Graphics method !

73 Posts

(redundant post, ignore this one)

73 Posts

July 27th, 2018 11:00

I confirm that the Intel refresh setting disable that Jeking3 posted does indeed seem to fix the keyboard issue.  Very strange, I still don't understand how that setting would have an effect on the keyboard but it definitely does.  I will say though it's done something odd to my font in mIRC, everything is smaller and more blurry but I was able to change my font to a larger one to get around that but the larger font is kinda driving me crazy so would like a proper fix from Dell still.

July 27th, 2018 13:00

After following Jeking3 directions everything seems to be working. Thank you for posting a workaround. Hopefully Dell will get a proper fix soon. At least for now I can type again without cursing every few seconds :Crying: . Thanks again.

July 27th, 2018 19:00

@back_slash wrote:

Not 100% sure, but it seems to be al good for me too.

Are you sure? ;)

July 28th, 2018 02:00

well spotted ! i will be careful to see if it persist :)

No Events found!