Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 03:00

And this is how it looks like if I am not checking and correcting it again. So many letters are missing. And this failure is not just limited to one key.

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 03:00

I got my Keyboard from my XPS 15 9570 replaced, too. Still have to correct what I am typig ecause there are so often letters missing. I thought that it is just because I am typing wrong but I have never had this problem on any eyboard before. I am sad that Ihave invested so much money to buy hat laptop ut I can't even type normally on that thng. It is like buying a phone and you can't call anybody. I am already over 30 days, because I thought it is an easy fix for Dell. So now I have to live with that. I alway recommended Dell to people because my xps 17 before lasted for a looong time without any bi problems. My sister bought the 9560 for example because I recommended it to her. But she never had this issue that I am facing with my 950 keyboard. But I cannot recommend dell anymore. Very frustrating.

September 4th, 2018 07:00

It's already September. Whre is the promised fix for this? Are you kidding Dell? You can't fix a simple thing that is driving people crazy FOR MONTH? This isn't just sad but ridiculous! At the very least you could talk to your customers at a regular basis to keep them up-to-date, but no. Last Dell product for me for sure!

September 4th, 2018 13:00

@Digitalcut What did you do to fix your issue?

September 4th, 2018 13:00

New machine received August 23th with spanish keyboard adn fails.

I installed my license of W10 Pro x64, drivers for Intel and Nvidia and fails. I upgraded BIOS firmware and fails.

Finally refresh option of Intel HDV Control Pannel seems to work.

10 Posts

September 5th, 2018 02:00

It was nearly impossible to type on that keyboard because there were always letters missing in nearly every word. So I played around with the keyboard and found the same thing. Keys aren't getting recognized if you press on the side/corners of the keys even with a tactile feedback. So because of that and a faulty backspace key (made weird crunchy noises) Dell booked a onsite service for me to replace the keyboard. The new one was definitely better because the backspace key was fixed. But the problem with missing letters didn't get fixed with the new keyboard. So I thought it was a general hardware-defect or I am just tiping wrong. But I never had problems with any keyboards before. It was really frustrating because I was already out of the return period. But now I found this thread here and I found a Solution that fixed the keyboard problem for me. (I don't know anymore who found that fix but thanks a lot for that!)

I had to downgrade to an older intel graphics driver because the newest on has a bug and the intel display settings dissapear from tha system. So I deleted the new driver from the device manager and installed an older one I still had stored. So I got the intel display settings back and followed the instruction and deactivated automatic display refresh (PSR) from the energy tab. My Keyboard is much better now and didn't missed a key once. I am really sure that it is not just a placebo because it is definitely recognizeable. 

It is a shame from Dell that there is still no fix for that. Because this is just a temporary fix now. I had to deactivate windows updates because it is always automatically updating the intel display driver to the newest version and even the setting itself is sometimes going back to be activated. Hopefully this can help you temporarily, too. It's a better feeling now because I know that it is not a Hardware problem. 

3 Posts

September 5th, 2018 02:00

I notice that when type quickly, and only presses the side of the key ( which has tactile feed back) sometimes the key press is not registered.

I can repeatedly simulate this issue by pressing the side of "H", press quickly with tactile feed back , and not register the key press in notepad

The solution is to type slowly, unless Dell has a firmware fix ? Or need keyboard replacement ?

September 7th, 2018 12:00

I have the same problem

September 7th, 2018 12:00

Wow this is really not okay. have the same trouble with my new XPS 15 that costed me 3K. I hope dell will come out with a fix soon. 

3 Posts

September 9th, 2018 11:00

Same problem. Thought I was just not typing well.  

19 Posts

September 10th, 2018 08:00

Has any one tried the latest intel driver for the 630?  Dells Support assist will complain about it being the wrong computer, so just get the latest driver In device manager.  I have installed it and it seems better, the only thing I have lost is the Intel UHD graphics control panel.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2018 10:00

My brand new XPS 15 9570 is also having this big problem with keyboard skipping, it's nearly un-usable. When is the BIOS update coming? Seriously thinking of returning this Dell and buying another brand.

UPDATE: Just tried disabling the Intel Graphics 'Panel Self Refresh' option as some people here have suggested and this has made a huge difference, keyboard no longer skipping typing. Looks like an inter-operability bug between the Intel driverset and the Dell keyboard is in play here.

19 Posts

September 11th, 2018 13:00

just rolled back the intel driver, and got the wife to test the keyboard, she is a touch typist and does not even have to look at the keyboard when typing.  She could not find a problem, and I must say typing this not one key was skipped!  Could someone else try updating the 630 driver, & then roll back to see if they get the same result? 

3 Posts

September 12th, 2018 03:00

on this the 'Panel Self Refresh' option in the Intel Graphics settings seems to turn itself back on following reboot - I guess it reverts to the profile, causing the keyboard issue to come back. Switching it off again fixes it, probably need to save the new Profile.

No Events found!