Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

3 Posts

September 11th, 2019 05:00

I also had the issue with my XPS 15 9570 skipping keys. This is what finally worked for me:

1. Run Dell Update (Windows key, type dell and click on Dell Update). (Be sure latest BIOS is installed)
2. Click the Check button. 
3. Click Install button.
4. Follow instructions to the end (system restart may be required).

7 Posts

June 9th, 2018 21:00

I am having the same issue. My new Dell XPS 15 9570 is experiencing keyboard issues. It is skipping keystrokes randomly which is frustrating. The drivers have been updated to the latest versions and this is still happening. Ihave followed trouble-shooting suggestions and this is ridiculous. They have been experiencing these types of issues in the past and have fixed them months later. How long do we 9570 users have to wait for a firmware/bios fix . omg. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 11th, 2018 11:00

@Bergem wrote:

Great well this 14-year old girl is having a keyboard replacement - onsite. Enjoy your defective product old man. Patience is your strong-suit.

If the other Dell models where this issue occurs are any indication, a keyboard replacement won't help because this is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue.  It was fixed for the Latitude 7480 and a few other models back in March, so I'm surprised (and disappointed) to see this is still unresolved for other systems.

6 Posts

@Bergem I'd prefer not to be looped in with this user as they seem to be an upset 14 year old girl. 

7 Posts

Great well this 14-year old girl is having a keyboard replacement - onsite. Enjoy your defective product old man. Patience is your strong-suit.

11 Posts

June 12th, 2018 17:00

I received a 9570 that randomly powered off so I asked Dell to send me another one.  They did, and it experiences the same issue you described.  Randomly key clicks do not register.  In speaking with their support they were okay with me swapping the keyboard from the bad unit with the one I have, and if it still happens it's clearly a firmware issue.  And if it is, they need to fix it for sure.

1 Message

June 13th, 2018 06:00

I have the same issue with my 9570. Happens every 40:e key-stroke or so. Really annoying and something Dell needs to adress ASAP.

12 Posts

June 15th, 2018 20:00

same here thought was a design flaw but seems it really is a defect... getting a replacement soon!

11 Posts

June 16th, 2018 05:00

I did the physical keyboard replacement with support's blessing and it did not fix the problem, and now they want me to send the unit into a depot for repair.  Isn't this a firmware issue?  I am confused.

11 Posts

June 16th, 2018 06:00

So we purchased one of these 9570 which was randomly powering off, and asked support to send a replacement.  The replacement doesn't have the random power-off issue but both of the laptops have the keyboard missed keyclick issue.  It definitely seems like it is a firmware issue to me, but I am working with Dell to see if I can reroute the original defective laptop with the power issue to their service depot so they can accept it as a return and have hardware exhibiting the issue in their possession.

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 09:00

XPS 15 9570 Keyboard Skipping Keys

I have this same issue, is there a fix available or do we need to send the Laptop back to Dell?

Regards

William

June 20th, 2018 15:00

I'm having the same issue. So annoying as a programmer.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 21st, 2018 03:00

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the keyboard skipping. Can you try updating the BIOS to the latest version which can be downloaded here

If you each respond and let me know how the system is after the update it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Alan

1 Message

June 21st, 2018 06:00

Unfortunately the new bios does not solve the problem

11 Posts

June 21st, 2018 12:00

That BIOS update does not solve the problem.

Dell support is telling me to ship the unit into a depot for repair and it will take up to 10 business days to fix it.  If it actually gets fixed.  If the issue is a firmware issue, that won't fix it.  If the issue is the keyboard and backlight controller daughtercard, then maybe a physical replacement of that will fix it.  I don't really know what it is, but:

1. I got a 9570 which randomly powered off.
2. I was (nicely) cross-shipped a replacement with the keyboard issue.
3. I swapped the keyboards per Dell Support direction.
4. Both laptops have the same keyboard problem after swapping the keyboards - so I know it isn't the keyboard.
5. I have spent a lot of time debugging this issue and now I am going to be without the laptop for 10 days or more?  It's brand new!

I guess I will be sending it back to the depot for repair and keep people updated.  Still, this is not a good experience at all, and I will think twice before purchasing another XPS in the future.  I shouldn't have to purchase faster support in order to deal with a clear and grossly obvious defect in a faster timeframe.

I wonder how many of these repairs Dell will have to do on the 9570.

No Events found!