Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2018 11:00

XPS 15-9570, not using Nvidia GPU, BIOS related bug

I'am having exactly this problem with my XPS 9570 laptop with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. Currently, I am playing Witcher 3. The problem is that the game starts running using the onboard GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630). The only way I can force the laptop to use NVIDIA GPU, is to use XTU (Intel Software) and run a Stress Test on the CPU. When the CPU reaches 140°F, then the GPU starts working, fps increase to normal ranges. I've been searching on the web for solutions to this, and I have tried everything: updating drivers, uninstall drivers with DDU and install Dells drivers for my GPU and CPU graphic processors, selecting the High Performance GPU on the Panel Control of Nvidia, right click - run with - high processor GPU, etc. I do now see a bit of hope knowing that this is a known problem by the community. Anyone experiencing the same?

1 Message

December 8th, 2019 12:00

Hi,

I bought a Inspiron G3 15-3590 and had the same problem, luckily it came with bios 1.8.0, this is how I solved it.

I went to: Device Manager > Display Adapters. Right click on Intel Integrated Graphics > Disable device.

For my Inspiron, this setup will define Nvidia as default, but you can always enable Intel graphics again.

XPS 15-9570 users =
1. Update the BIOS to 1.15.1
2. After reboot, install the Dell Intel Chipset driver 10.1.17541.8066   and reboot
3. Install the Dell Intel GPU driver 26.20.100.7262 and reboot
4. Install the Dell Nvidia driver 26.21.14.4145 and reboot

Hope this helps all the way from Brazil.

3 Posts

November 6th, 2018 12:00

hi 

I'm having the same problem only i cant force it. The laptop is verry slow ( while gaming and other things) and this happend to me since i update the driver and the bios.

6 Posts

November 6th, 2018 13:00

Have you tried what I did? You should run your game and XTU. When you are in game (not in the menu, in the current gameplay) you have to run a Stress Test with XTU or Throttlestop for some few minutes (1 - 3 minutes). When the software shows you that the CPU has reached a high temperature, immediately switch to the game and the GPU will work. The only problem with this method is that when I spend more than 1 minute in the game menu, the CPU gets colder, so the GPU stops working. So again I have to go to XTU and run a Stress Test of 1 min in order to force the GPU again. Yep, is very tedious, that’s why I am looking for a definitive solution. I also disable Turboboost in the BIOS, but that is to lower the temperature. Is not related with my problem, that is presented regardless of the Turboboost.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 7th, 2018 10:00

@btannen,

The issue in the link you found is one of Nvidia GPU throttling. You described an issue of your game using Intel graphics. I don't think it's the same issue.

Have you tried setting your game manually to use Nvidia GPU?

Newest games or some older games may not have a profile in the NVIDIA Control Panel, if you have updated your driver and your games does not show up try the following steps:

Configuring NVIDIA Optimus and AMD Switchable Graphics for High Performance

Right Click on your desktop

1. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
  3. Click on the Program Settings tab
  4. Click Add
  5. Select a program from the list.

If your game is not on this list either do the following:

1. Click Browse
    2. Look for the executable file of your game and double click on it

If you do not know the location and/or name of your game's executable do the following:

1. Right Click on your game's icon
    2. Click Properties
    3. The Target field shows the location and name of the executable

6 Posts

November 7th, 2018 16:00

Thanks for your response Justin.

Yes, I already tried that without results. In fact, I've tried everything I have read on internet regarding the use of the  NVidia Panel Control. My problem actually is the one described in the link above. In order to use the NVidia GPU I have to reach higher temperatures, and I achieve that running a second software, in this case, XTU. If I don't do that, the game only reaches 10 fps because is using Intel graphics.

When I reach higher temperatures, NVidia GPU starts working, and I reach the desire fps. When the NVidia GPU is working, if I stop performing actions with the pc that use de NVidia GPU and I make something not GPU depending (for example, searching the web), temperatures decreases so the NVidia GPU stops working, so if I return to the game, again, I only reach 10 fps because of the use of Intel Graphics.

I've hought that could be problem with NVidia Optimus or the autoswich of both cards, but finally, It seams that the problem is the one in the link above, and it makes sense: my poblem started on August with the update of BIOS and the Intel Graphics driver.

68 Posts

November 24th, 2018 20:00

This is a BIOS temperature bug - I have been telling Dell this for months!

Absolutely nothing the user can do to fix it. The bug happened from BIOS 1.3.1 and puts the GPU in a low performance state if under 48 degrees C. Again, please actually read the link and elevate this issue to a senior tech.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-Dell-XPS-15-9570-laptops-may-have-a-BIOS-related-GPU-bug.355026.0.html

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 26th, 2018 16:00

@Community,

I can confirm that the next BIOS 1.7.0 will contain a fix to the very problem described in the initial post. It should be released within the next 2 weeks.

To be clear, applications either launch with Intel, or Nvidia. There is no mechanism on this unit that switches a program while it's running on Intel, to Nvidia. The frame rate issue described occurs while running with Nvidia.

There may still be however, some programs out there that will not default-start with Nvidia. In this case, it is up to the user to make the change in Nvidia Control Panel.

27 Posts

December 28th, 2018 03:00

@DELL-Justin C wrote:

@Community,

I can confirm that the next BIOS 1.7.0 will contain a fix to the very problem described in the initial post. It should be released within the next 2 weeks.

To be clear, applications either launch with Intel, or Nvidia. There is no mechanism on this unit that switches a program while it's running on Intel, to Nvidia. The frame rate issue described occurs while running with Nvidia.

There may still be however, some programs out there that will not default-start with Nvidia. In this case, it is up to the user to make the change in Nvidia Control Panel.

Hi, this is a good new but I want to see the performance after 1.7.0 will be released. Too much time has passed and  we still need to wait other 2 weeks... Finger crossed.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Update: The BIOS release is delayed and should be released around 1/8/2019.

27 Posts

January 6th, 2019 03:00

@DELL-Justin C wrote:

Update: The BIOS release is delayed and should be released around 1/8/2019.

IMO All this delay is totally unacceptable. 

January 6th, 2019 11:00

1-Aug-2018 ????

OMG !!!

January 8th, 2019 23:00

@AnonymousTechnical Support

I have been looking for a solution for this problem for some time now and I appreciate that Dell acknowledges the problem, works on it and even tries to provide a date when the problem will be fixed.

As for delivery delays, knowing how complex software development can become, I'd rather wait another week and be sure that the fix does not create new problems somewhere else.

27 Posts

January 10th, 2019 09:00

Maybe they have no idea how solve it...

7 Posts

January 10th, 2019 10:00

Issue is still ongoing. Made an account here just to get some support as dell doesen't want to be reached.

7 Posts

January 10th, 2019 10:00

Seconded on that notion. These laptops aren't cheap and to see such an carelessness from dell is frankly sickening.

No Events found!