Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2018 11:00

XPS 15-9570, not using Nvidia GPU, BIOS related bug

I'am having exactly this problem with my XPS 9570 laptop with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. Currently, I am playing Witcher 3. The problem is that the game starts running using the onboard GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630). The only way I can force the laptop to use NVIDIA GPU, is to use XTU (Intel Software) and run a Stress Test on the CPU. When the CPU reaches 140°F, then the GPU starts working, fps increase to normal ranges. I've been searching on the web for solutions to this, and I have tried everything: updating drivers, uninstall drivers with DDU and install Dells drivers for my GPU and CPU graphic processors, selecting the High Performance GPU on the Panel Control of Nvidia, right click - run with - high processor GPU, etc. I do now see a bit of hope knowing that this is a known problem by the community. Anyone experiencing the same?

January 10th, 2019 22:00

Hi,

You mean Aug 1st, 2019 or Jan 8th, 2019?

It certainly is not a minor issue, why does it take you so long?

January 11th, 2019 00:00

Have you tried sliding the WINDOWS (not Nvidia, etc) power slider all the way over to the right? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I was having the exact same symptoms, and could only play Fortnite at 10FPS because Task Manager showed only the Intel GPU was activating. When I tried all the things you did and gave up, I forgot about the slider, readjusted and and boom! Nvidia GPU kicked into life every time!

I agree it's a bug, but it could be a work around (I can now play fortnite at an acceptable FPS).

P.S. I'm still on Bios 1.3 because of all the fan issues reported with later bios versions

7 Posts

January 11th, 2019 05:00

After updating BIOS to 1.7 the issue remains. Nothing changed and my previous comment remains in effect. I would like to rant a lot and give Dell people a piece of my mind.

27 Posts

January 11th, 2019 16:00

@DELL-Justin C The GPU max 74°C issue was not fixed... 

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 11th, 2019 16:00

Here's 1.7

@Raidoloom,

Send me a PM with your service tag and we'll work together on it.

6 Posts

January 19th, 2019 21:00

My problem was solved with the 1.7.0 update. Today I played the game for 1 hour and a half, and GPU worked fine. First time I have no problem playing since the problems began in August in of the last year.

If I notice something new, I will post it here.

1 Message

February 27th, 2019 21:00

Hi, I've tried everything from reinstalling the GPU Driver (from dell's OEM driver, from GeForce Experience, with DDU and wittouth) to reinstalling the entire system from the support bios menu, also tried downgradnig the BIOS to 1.3 (got scared to death when the red warning on prohibited downgrades showed up, even tough the bios has a setting allowing it), currently on v1.8.1. But so far my GPU 1, nvidia 1050TI has never been used by anything aside from benchmark applications. Any chance support has any ideas what else can be done? @DELL-Justin C ? Thanks a lot, I'd just like to use my 1050 TI.

7 Posts

April 7th, 2019 12:00

@tingao wrote:
Hi, I've tried everything from reinstalling the GPU Driver (from dell's OEM driver, from GeForce Experience, with DDU and wittouth) to reinstalling the entire system from the support bios menu, currently on v1.8.1. But so far my GPU 1, nvidia 1050TI has never been used by anything aside from benchmark applications. Any chance support has any ideas what else can be done? @DELL-Justin C ? Thanks a lot, I'd just like to use my 1050 TI.

Any news about this? I have the same thing with the same BIOS. I bought this computer since i thought the 1050 TI would be better than the P1000 in the Precision 5530 model. UHD graphics is not enough for me in a render software i use for work.

I tried to deactivate the internal graphics but is not able to start nvidia control panel after this, it says that the display is not connected to a nvidia gpu.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2019 07:00

Bump!! 

We have two Precision 5530 in our organization and the Nvidia GPU is not being used by the Autodesk Applications. 

Please advice. 

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 12:00

@laldana wrote:

Bump!!

Please advice. 

It may be the hybrid gpu. Our computers doesn't seem to have a dedicated gpu like the Lenovo P50 where you can turn it off. Mine has been sent to Dell anyway for repair. They said that it should be possible to deactivate the internal gpu. If it doesn't work, it makes the computer really useless :(

10 Posts

May 14th, 2019 03:00

Connect laptop to tv or monitor via hdmi or displayport .

May 30th, 2019 06:00

I'm just posting to express my disgust at the fact that this issue is still not fixed. This means the expensive laptop I bought is a constant frustration to use rather than the smooth experience I would expect for this price point. I assume Dell are ignoring this issue as there is a workaround but I want to make clear that heating up the CPU does not work in some applications and only works intermittently in others

June 14th, 2019 09:00

Hello Justin,

Look, I was a customer support for a long time, I know you really cannot do anything. I have this XPS named nightmare for a year now, and all I could say that Dell is the most disgusting company I've ever met. And now after 1 year, reading all kinds of forums for solutions for all kinds of problems, reading these copy-pasted from cs before they disappear from the forum, I can't hold myself from replying. I'm not a computer professional, but also not a total noob, so I'm okay with a workaround if there is. If someone who is total clueless about computers in general, thinks, hey I will get a laptop for this price, will be good - then faces all of these problems and can't do workarounds (if there are) then what? They send it back to your service for nonsense prices again? This is what you really want, right? , instead of make them loyal to you is the most ridiculously thing a company could do. Dell, stop . It's okay to have problems, engineers are people too. Just

8 Posts

July 28th, 2019 10:00

My xps 15 got to almost a stop when using simple browser. Nvidia not reacting. if u turn it off its possible to browse internet but with both cards on they just kill this laptop. there is a huge issue. and still have the problem. and i have on site repair warranty and but they do anything they can not to come here and fix this. cause probably they dont know how! im thinking of them at this point. Problem since day 1 never had such a bad experience with laptop EVER. 

1 Message

November 29th, 2019 21:00

So may i know whats the solution cos i think i might ve encountering this issue now

No Events found!