Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MF

30 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 11:00

XPS 15-9570, not working with Wacom Bamboo Ink

Hello!

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem: I bought a laptop Dell 9570, for work in programs ZBrush and Photoshop, and I wanted to draw directly on the screen of my laptop. I also bought Wacom Bamboo Ink for this. But when I tried to draw, the pen behaves completely inadequately (before, I used to work on a tablet Wacom Intuos, so I have something to compare with). The stylus (or program) does not at all recognize pressure or click on the stylus buttons. Please tell me how to set everything up correctly?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 26th, 2018 04:00

See above.  No, what I'm doing is warning potential readers that what you've posted is unverified, unsupported hearsay.  Simple as that.  

You absolutely CANNOT post with assurance that an active pen will work -- with full functionality -- on a system that does not have official support for it.

Be very careful making sweeping statements like "see, it works" -- when it might in some cases but not in others.  

If you want full, active digitizer functionality it's available in the XPS 9575.  

If you want a touchscreen system that may or may not have pen features, take your chances with the XPS 9570.

There are plenty of folks who've tried pens with the 9570 and had them not work.

44 Posts

September 26th, 2018 05:00

@ejn63 wrote:

"But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers."

In other words, take your chances.  My point exactly.

Well yeah, I agree with that! Always have. It's not a supported feature.

But again, the screen HAS the active digitizer, which means any AES pen should work, if it has correct drivers. Looks like for now best to stick with the Dell's own active pen, which should be 100% compatible because it works on 9575, which has the same screen as 9570. But it's expensive at $100 and no replacement nibs.

But in the end, the main reason no one is willing to invest much time in this or is even interested in it, is because it's simply impractical to use a pen on a screen that can't fully fold or even open flat. That itself makes it a no go.

44 Posts

@ejn63 wrote:

See above.  No, what I'm doing is warning potential readers that what you've posted is unverified, unsupported hearsay.  Simple as that.  

You absolutely CANNOT post with assurance that an active pen will work -- with full functionality -- on a system that does not have official support for it.

Be very careful making sweeping statements like "see, it works" -- when it might in some cases but not in others.  

If you want full, active digitizer functionality it's available in the XPS 9575.  

If you want a touchscreen system that may or may not have pen features, take your chances with the XPS 9570.

There are plenty of folks who've tried pens with the 9570 and had them not work.

Well, in my opinion you're not accepting something that is widely known and accepted. It is so well known and accepted that it has gone well over the threshold of becoming a FACT. You're the one here who is treating it as a "hearsay".

You might be confusing the whole issue with another FACT that this is unsupported feature of this laptop. It is absolutely known and is a fact that the 9570 has a screen with an active digitizer. But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers.

Some people have tried and it doesn't work. For most people it DOES work. And some for whom it didn't work tried fiddling with different drivers and made it work. Some didn't. Whether any AES pen will work with 9570 or not is a whole another issue, and I agree with you there. More so because Dell won't move a finger to support it.

But I absolutely can and do claim that 9570 has a screen with active digitizer. You don't want to (and you don't need to) accept it, but this is a WIDELY KNOWN fact.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

"But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers."

In other words, take your chances.  My point exactly.

November 4th, 2018 05:00

I don't know if the person got her question answered but I have a couple of thoughts. Dell has a driver download for its pen, Though I believe the screens are the same there are two different xps one is a 2 and one which screen folds back to use as a tablet and normal one. I'm not going to trace down to see if they are the same screen but it maybe possible that they are different.yet still be xps 9070. the other small thought is I would bet wacom or whoever makes their pens is the same company that makes Dells.

November 9th, 2018 14:00

Small thought is also sometimes manufactures run out of certain parts so they replace them with others. Perhaps Dell had more of the digitizing screen than the normal one at one point and just used them for a short period. As for "who would use a pen on something that doesn't fold out" I find it is actually easier for myself to use a pen instead of a mouse on my lap top. I don't want to carry around a mouse and sometimes, on the go there is no place for one. I have problems using touch pads for certain things and a pen to   be able to write quick notes for stick um programs is a great help. For myself the pen is easier to use for many basic point and click things also. I just wish the bamboo would work on my 9560 with 4k touch screen. I do wish Wacom and dell would communicate better so it's easy to tell if the pen works or not . At the moment if you call wacom you usually get a "I don't know it isn't listed on our list.Instead of a more definite" I'm sorry that pen needs to work with a digitizing screen and the one you have is just a touch pad style" Support is a dying art I think.

44 Posts

November 10th, 2018 08:00

I can't find it now, but I saw a tweet by Frank Azor from around the 9570 launch time where he confirmed that XPS 9570 will use exactly the same 4K display with digitizer support as XPS 9575 2 in 1.

So, it's not just some random parts, but if a specific pen works on 9575 2 in 1 with specific drivers then it should work on 9570 because they have the same display.  But 9575 has an "official" Dell pen support, whereas 9570 doesn't. However, the display hardware is the same.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 10th, 2018 10:00

I think you may want to reconsider such a sweeping statement.  

"However, the display hardware is the same."

change that to,

"On some units, the display hardware may be the same.  It's not guaranteed to be so on all of them".

1 Message

January 11th, 2019 07:00

I use the pn557w pen on my 9570 and it works.

1 Message

January 18th, 2019 03:00

We have two XPS 9570 and one 9575 at work with the 4k UHD display. The Dell PN579X stylus works on all of them but you cannot install the Wacom driver on the XPS9570 to personalize the pen features beyond Win10 options.

That's really a shame that Dell won't allow the pen driver installation on XPS9570 system because the display is strictly identical to XPS9575. There is no technical justification behind that. I really hope this gets fixed ASAP because the XPS9575 is too limited to be used as a mobile workstation.

"Apparently Dell used the same screen in 9575 (XPS 15 2 in 1) and 9570."
"because the display is strictly identical to XPS9575"

Incorrect. The Dell part numbers and Compal part numbers are different. This means that the LCD panels are not shared between the two PCs.

XPS 15 9570 panels =
3FY9C Touch Screen, UHD, Truelife, EDP, Silver Rear Cover, Camera, Secure Version (anti-reflective LCD), Compal 51390431509
MDRV3 Non Touch Screen, FHD, Antiglare, EDP1.4, Silver Rear Cover, Camera, Secure Version, Compal 51390431511

XPS 15 9575 panels =
Y3H2Y Touch Screen, UHD, EDP, Black Rear Cover, Black, Compal 71NG8131054
KR57T Touch Screen, UHD, Truelife, EDP, Silver Rear Cover, Camera, Compal 51436431002
3P07V Touch Screen, FHD, EDP, Silver Rear Cover, Camera, Compal 51436431001

DELL-Admin

20 Posts

March 26th, 2019 04:00

The XPS 15 9570 with 4K touchscreen uses, at least in some cases, a Wacom touch sensor that is interoperable with a stylus that uses Wacom's AES protocol. These include Dell's own stylus (which supports both Wacom AES and Microsoft's MPP), Wacom's own Bamboo Ink, and at least some of Lenovo's styli.

I got myself a Lenovo GX80K32884 at half price from Amazon Warehouse, considering I may have to return it, and it worked fine out of the box. Both buttons are distinctly recognized. It comes with three replacement nibs.

Of course, YMMV, as I have seen no guarantee that every XPS 15 9570 does use a Wacom digitizer. Mine had no indication that it did.

Oh, and don't believe what you read about a feel as good as writing with a fountain pen on parchment: it feels exactly like writing with a plastic pin on a glass surface. But that is OK.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 05:00

9570....sorry

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 05:00

Well, wacom bamboo ink pen works with a Dell 9450 4k display as i am testing now, and it works.

Grettings.

Juan

2 Posts

May 26th, 2019 14:00

I recently got the active pen from dell and it works out of the box on xps 15 9570 4k. I just cannot start the pen control application where I can control the other features. But everything works as it should. 

13 Posts

July 4th, 2019 05:00

I just bought the Wacom Bamboo Ink and I can guarantee it that it truly does work perfectly (including pressure) on the Dell XPS 9570!

Enjoy! I've tested it on Aseprite, Windows Ink, Photoshop, MS Paint, Paint 3D,  Onenote, you can also use it to interact with windows.

Palm rejection also works when using Onenote etc.

No Events found!