ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: XPS 9570 not working with Wacom Bamboo Ink ...help pleas

I'll put more faith in the posts here, where people have tried active pens on the XPS 9570 and they've not worked.

Youtube is a wild-west of unsubstantiated claims.  There's plenty of help there - and plenty of useless disinformation.

0 Kudos
s-plus
2 Iron

Mr. Doubting Thomas - you know that there's a world outside of this Dell forum?
Just use Google search and see that there are many posts about 9570 and a pen on different forums, and different articles about it from reputable sources. I just posted one above.

But hey, feel free not to believe anyone and think everyone is fake, if that makes you feel good...
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Let's just leave it that if it works for some, great.  There's no guarantee that it'll work for all -- since it's not something the manufacturer supports.  Just be careful posting that 'it will work with a pen" -- that's bad advice.  "It MAY work" is just fine -- just don't post as fact what runs contrary to system specifications.  That's all.

0 Kudos
s-plus
2 Iron

That Windows Central article above explained everything - they suggest Dell active pen because some third party pens might not be compatible.
And also mention there could be issues with drivers, which other people have mentioned as well - some have said it didn't work out of the box, but they changed the drivers and it worked.
Anyway - the hardware, which is the screen supports it. But yeah, Dell doesn't officially support the pen on 9570, and won't provide their customized drivers for it, so because of that "any" pen MAY work.
But the display has an active digitizer, so it's all just about finding a pen and drivers that work.
0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

You're making an unsubstantiated claim again - these systems have touchscreens per spec - NOT tablet screens.

0 Kudos
s-plus
2 Iron

@ejn63 wrote:

You're making an unsubstantiated claim again - these systems have touchscreens per spec - NOT tablet screens.

Are you a Dell rep that sticks to the spec sheet and doesn't accept anything else but what Dell officially states? 

I agree with you that this is not an official feature and it's not supported by Dell for this laptop. 

But it's a publicly known thing that 9570 has a digitizer screen and works at least with some, if not all AES pen (probably not all, and then there are potential issues with drivers), and it's been proven many times.

But I say again - you don't have to believe it, it's your God given choice. 

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

See above.  No, what I'm doing is warning potential readers that what you've posted is unverified, unsupported hearsay.  Simple as that.  

You absolutely CANNOT post with assurance that an active pen will work -- with full functionality -- on a system that does not have official support for it.

Be very careful making sweeping statements like "see, it works" -- when it might in some cases but not in others.  

If you want full, active digitizer functionality it's available in the XPS 9575.  

If you want a touchscreen system that may or may not have pen features, take your chances with the XPS 9570.

There are plenty of folks who've tried pens with the 9570 and had them not work.

0 Kudos
s-plus
2 Iron

@ejn63 wrote:

See above.  No, what I'm doing is warning potential readers that what you've posted is unverified, unsupported hearsay.  Simple as that.  

You absolutely CANNOT post with assurance that an active pen will work -- with full functionality -- on a system that does not have official support for it.

Be very careful making sweeping statements like "see, it works" -- when it might in some cases but not in others.  

If you want full, active digitizer functionality it's available in the XPS 9575.  

If you want a touchscreen system that may or may not have pen features, take your chances with the XPS 9570.

There are plenty of folks who've tried pens with the 9570 and had them not work.

Well, in my opinion you're not accepting something that is widely known and accepted. It is so well known and accepted that it has gone well over the threshold of becoming a FACT. You're the one here who is treating it as a "hearsay".

You might be confusing the whole issue with another FACT that this is unsupported feature of this laptop. It is absolutely known and is a fact that the 9570 has a screen with an active digitizer. But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers.

Some people have tried and it doesn't work. For most people it DOES work. And some for whom it didn't work tried fiddling with different drivers and made it work. Some didn't. Whether any AES pen will work with 9570 or not is a whole another issue, and I agree with you there. More so because Dell won't move a finger to support it.

But I absolutely can and do claim that 9570 has a screen with active digitizer. You don't want to (and you don't need to) accept it, but this is a WIDELY KNOWN fact.

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

"But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers."

In other words, take your chances.  My point exactly.

0 Kudos
s-plus
2 Iron

@ejn63 wrote:

"But it is also a fact that Dell doesn't support it, so you might or might not make it work with different pens and different drivers."

In other words, take your chances.  My point exactly.

Well yeah, I agree with that! Always have. It's not a supported feature.

But again, the screen HAS the active digitizer, which means any AES pen should work, if it has correct drivers. Looks like for now best to stick with the Dell's own active pen, which should be 100% compatible because it works on 9575, which has the same screen as 9570. But it's expensive at $100 and no replacement nibs.

But in the end, the main reason no one is willing to invest much time in this or is even interested in it, is because it's simply impractical to use a pen on a screen that can't fully fold or even open flat. That itself makes it a no go.

0 Kudos