Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

68 Posts

September 15th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15-9570, performance has tanked

Hi Alan,

I have been troubleshooting poor performance on an XPS 9570 without much luck the past 2 weeks. Drops of up to 80% performance in games (from 150fps to 15-30fps) V-sync does not fix the issue, makes it worse. Terrible performance with Adobe video editing applications. 

To answer your questions:

a) Yes exact same games, same Adobe applications.

b) AC power

c) Updated to windows 1803  (I believe this is could be the problem!) :Hmm:

d) Updated to BIOS 1.3.1 for XPS 9570 (again possibly the problem!) :Hmm:

e) Yes, I've tweaked everything to maximum and set all apps to use Nvidia GPU.

f) No faults detected. I tested with the recovery image and then updates (from Dell site) no change.

Also

I wiped the laptop back to the factory image from the recovery partition. This didn't fix anything... even with the old drivers. It was working fine when I first received the laptop, had no performance problems. The fact this is no longer the case with the original factory image is puzzling! I suspect the recent BIOS update is the issue.

Other issues include, videos stuttering for the first few seconds or when the cursor is moved. Videos not up-scaling correctly on YouTube (You can see a pixel-like grid on 1080p and lower) When you move the cursor in full screen videos appear smoother and up-scaled. When the cursor and play-bar dissapears videos lag for a few seconds and you can then see a grid/rough edges as the videos aren't up-scaling.  

Lastly both the Intel and Nvidia GPU are under load at the exact same time under the performance monitor. The GPU switching might be broken, causing all these issues. I re-installed the Intel Thermal Dynamic Platform driver and even rolled it back, but had no luck.

For the laptop to suddenly drop in performance by 5x is beyond thermal throttling. The only other explanation I can think of is a hardware fault if not the BIOS or Windows update. A number of people have reported these faults over the past few weeks.

Please send this to the system engineers/software devs so we can get this fixed ASAP!

68 Posts

November 29th, 2018 19:00

BUMP - FIX IT!

@Dell-Alan D

16 Posts

December 1st, 2018 09:00

Seriously, I run an XPS 15 9560 with the GTX 1040... I frequently use this laptop playing HOTS or Fortnite. With no issue.

At first, it was very frustrating. It throttled at the worst times and often below 50c. I searched much like all of you did.

Eventually Dell will fix it, but in the mean time you must take action into your own hands and at your own risk.

You can disable the software service that is responsible. I have done so at my own risk and have had no problems.

Every time I post about it on these forums; however, it gets removed as "spam"

With some research you can figure out what to disable at your own risk.

Good luck.

1 Message

December 9th, 2018 02:00

What is the software service to disable?

I just upgraded from BIOS 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 which came out a few days ago. Will begin testing to see if it continues to stutter during anything, even watching a youtube video and nothing else i get random stutters and issues.

21 Posts

December 9th, 2018 04:00

Guys do not upgrade your bioses. Dell new bios releases are designed to make your laptop worthless so you'll cough up $$$$ again.  Just stay at ver 1.2.2. For people who upgraded, refund or just sell your laptops and shift to other brands.

2 Posts

December 20th, 2018 15:00

I just wanted to right and confirm I am having same issue with dell xps 9570, latest bios as of today, latest gpu driver as today, I even added apps manually to nvidia 3d gpu to force to use gpu, I am getting extremely slow fps when I starts apps or games such as WOW 17-21 FPS, when GPU is working properly after reboot, I have vsync enabled to give me 60fps and I finally hear the GPU fans kick in. I have taken screen shots. Also contacted customer support and they are denying issue, i just emailed them again today so they can start the return process as I will be going with a Razor and I encourage everyone else to return there pc.

December 25th, 2018 12:00

Same problem here after few new windows installations and few hours on Technical support line still issue isnt fixed.This rendered my Dell xps 15 9570 completely useless. Problems started after latest version of BIOS.

68 Posts

December 28th, 2018 01:00

The main GPU issues started with 1.3.1. Every subsequent BIOS appears to either remove features/performance or break something else... I now have a list of issues. This laptop is somewhat of a joke to use professionally. My 8 year old desktop runs smoother with no GPU issues or high DPC audio crackle. I can't even edit a basic HD video smoothly because of the GPU slowdowns, audio crackle and apps crashing.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Updated-Dell-confirms-that-it-is-fixing-the-XPS-15-9570-GPU-issue-that-it-previously-denied-existed.376516.0.html

I have confirmed a list issues with Dell Pro Support in Sydney after wasting a month with low-level techs. The guy I spoke to mentioned a GPU cold throttling fix was on the way and that he was also looking into the high DPC audio latency/crackle issue for a DJ.

If Dell doesn't provide a solution to the issues before the end of January - I will return the laptop and suggest you do as well.   

68 Posts

December 28th, 2018 01:00

I'm giving them until late January to fix the issue, them I'm bailing. I will return the laptop if not fixed. I've stuck by the XPS series since the XPS 9550, but every laptop has had issues. Dell really is a terrible company with flawed unsupported products and useless support. I've copied and pasted what I wrote on another thread below.

Dell is aware of the GPU issue, despite complete incompetence when first responding to the problem.
I have confirmed that Dell is working on a fix after speaking with Dell Pro Support in Sydney, Australia.
BIOS 1.7 was due to be released just before Xmas - however Dell now has no idea when a fix will be out.

See the link below:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Updated-Dell-confirms-that-it-is-fixing-the-XPS-15-9570-GPU-issue-that...

Every BIOS since 1.3.1 has been stuffing up laptops... What is Dell actually doing?

• GPU Cold throttling (performance drops to under 15% if under 48 degrees)
  • High DPC audio latency (audio crackling and lag with video editing)
  • Missing keystrokes (it appears to be different keys on various dell laptops. I have to press " or ' twice)
  • Bluetooth and connectivity problems (BIOS 1.6 killed my Bluetooth - working after roll back to 1.5)
  • Sleep/suspend S3 mode problems  (although I don't use it much)
  • Dell lying to users about issues and then changing their minds. No cohesion between engineering/support.

@Dell-Alan D @dell-robert p

68 Posts

January 13th, 2019 05:00

BIOS 1.7 may have fixed the temperature bug, but frame drops and performance is still absolutely abysmal due to broken GPU switching. Dell still hasn't even released an Nvidia driver compatible with Windows build 1809... so you have to use the standard Nvida site driver... They bar you from installing the latest intel gfx drivers.

My 8 year old core i7 desktop runs smoother and doesn't have issues such as audio crackling/latency, skipping keys and BSODs.

Has the company cut back on staff, under terrible management, have incompetent engineers, paid of reviewers? This is NOT how a flagship product should be ...

3 Posts

January 14th, 2019 02:00

I can confirm I still have frame drops every few seconds too despite BIOS update 1.7, for instance playing CSGO I've got a good 80+ fps and every 3-4 sec it drops to 15fps for a split second, it's really annoying. I've had the opportunity to compare with a XPS 15 9550 we have at home too and although the video card is weaker and the overall framerate is lower it is much more constant and in the end much nicer to use... Please, please fix this, currently any shooter game is simply unplayable for me on this laptop. Btw I've got the i7 + 1050Ti + SSD 512 specs

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 14th, 2019 03:00

@Kelsett wrote:
I can confirm I still have frame drops every few seconds too despite BIOS update 1.7, for instance playing CSGO I've got a good 80+ fps and every 3-4 sec it drops to 15fps for a split second, it's really annoying. I've had the opportunity to compare with a XPS 15 9550 we have at home too and although the video card is weaker and the overall framerate is lower it is much more constant and in the end much nicer to use... Please, please fix this, currently any shooter game is simply unplayable for me on this laptop. Btw I've got the i7 + 1050Ti + SSD 512 specs

@Kelsett thanks for adding to the thread. Your post came in whilst i was replying to BroBot above.

Can you confirm that you are also having the same performance issues with the GPU whilst running BIOS 1.7.0?

Is it possible for you try Nvidia's driver rather that Dell's posted driver?
Is your power plan set for maximum performance and the ac adaptor plugged in whilst this is happening?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 14th, 2019 03:00

@BroBot92 wrote:

BIOS 1.7 may have fixed the temperature bug, but frame drops and performance is still absolutely abysmal due to broken GPU switching. Dell still hasn't even released an Nvidia driver compatible with Windows build 1809... so you have to use the standard Nvida site driver... They bar you from installing the latest intel gfx drivers.

My 8 year old core i7 desktop runs smoother and doesn't have issues such as audio crackling/latency, skipping keys and BSODs.

Has the company cut back on staff, under terrible management, have incompetent engineers, paid of reviewers? This is NOT how a flagship product should be ...

Hi @BroBot92

Thanks for the update. The 1.7.0 revision of the BIOS was released to address both the temperature and the effect of those temperatures on the GPU. The BIOS update has been available for only a few days, are you saying that this hasn't resolved the GPU issues on the system?

With respect to graphics drivers, Dell's release is normally a month or two behind the manufacturers release. We work alongside the vendors to pass on bug information, faults etc and then they engineer the fix and release the updated version. We then need to take that driver and run it through testing and validation before we release it publicly. This is what accounts for the delay between vendor release and our release.

Are you successfully running the latest Nvidia driver release?
If so, how is the performance of the system running their driver?

So far you are the only reference point for us saying that the BIOS update has not fixed the system. We need further feedback from others before we can advise further.

Alan

3 Posts

January 14th, 2019 05:00

Hello @Dell-Alan D,

I confirm I'm still having stuttering with BIOS 1.7.0. Perhaps its not linked to the low temperature issue however. I am already running the Nvidia driver and my power plan is set to performance as well as the thermal strategy (not sure of the name as I've got it in French) in the Dell Power Manager.

I'll try to upload a video asap.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 14th, 2019 06:00

@Kelsett is it specific to a game or application that you are running when you see this issue?

Have you set the system up to have that application / game run on the dedicated GPU?

Alan

1 Message

January 14th, 2019 18:00

i have the same issue before i used to have over 100 frames on rainbow 6 siege and now i can barely get 59 to 60 frames but the biggest problem that i am running into is the sudden drops in frames

No Events found!