Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

68 Posts

September 15th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15-9570, performance has tanked

Hi Alan,

I have been troubleshooting poor performance on an XPS 9570 without much luck the past 2 weeks. Drops of up to 80% performance in games (from 150fps to 15-30fps) V-sync does not fix the issue, makes it worse. Terrible performance with Adobe video editing applications. 

To answer your questions:

a) Yes exact same games, same Adobe applications.

b) AC power

c) Updated to windows 1803  (I believe this is could be the problem!) :Hmm:

d) Updated to BIOS 1.3.1 for XPS 9570 (again possibly the problem!) :Hmm:

e) Yes, I've tweaked everything to maximum and set all apps to use Nvidia GPU.

f) No faults detected. I tested with the recovery image and then updates (from Dell site) no change.

Also

I wiped the laptop back to the factory image from the recovery partition. This didn't fix anything... even with the old drivers. It was working fine when I first received the laptop, had no performance problems. The fact this is no longer the case with the original factory image is puzzling! I suspect the recent BIOS update is the issue.

Other issues include, videos stuttering for the first few seconds or when the cursor is moved. Videos not up-scaling correctly on YouTube (You can see a pixel-like grid on 1080p and lower) When you move the cursor in full screen videos appear smoother and up-scaled. When the cursor and play-bar dissapears videos lag for a few seconds and you can then see a grid/rough edges as the videos aren't up-scaling.  

Lastly both the Intel and Nvidia GPU are under load at the exact same time under the performance monitor. The GPU switching might be broken, causing all these issues. I re-installed the Intel Thermal Dynamic Platform driver and even rolled it back, but had no luck.

For the laptop to suddenly drop in performance by 5x is beyond thermal throttling. The only other explanation I can think of is a hardware fault if not the BIOS or Windows update. A number of people have reported these faults over the past few weeks.

Please send this to the system engineers/software devs so we can get this fixed ASAP!

February 15th, 2019 06:00

I am having the exact same issue.

I used to run Solidworks (CAD software) with the highest settings without issues.

Now it lags so much. 

Also, i used to get 60 fps with GTA 5.

I reinstalled it to test my laptop; i can't get over 31 FPS, even with lower graphics settings...

I use my XPS 15 9570 for school (engineering) and it's been so frustrating. 

I will be contacting Dell to return this laptop, as i have already had them do repairs 3 times during the past 2 months.

Here's how it started:

Five months after my purchase, the fingerprint scanner stopped working. 

I mailed in the laptop and they replaced the part. However, they didn't test it; i got it back and the issue was still there.

The second time i mailed it in, they fixed it (replaced the motherboard). However, the power button would remain depressed after you press it (unbelievable). 

The 3rd time they sent a technician to my house and he got it done. I kid you not, he closed up my laptop, forgetting to connect some stuff and had to reopen it... He almost did it another time but i couldn't let that happen. Again, i can't believe it...

I thought finally, after over 6 weeks, now i can use my laptop. But i immediately noticed the performance drop after installing Solidworks.

I contacted support and they blamed the software. I installed GTA 5 to test, as well as other games. The issue persists. The symptoms are identical to what everyone has mentioned here.

It's been a real nightmare. I will never buy a Dell laptop again. 

Does anyone know if one can ask for a refund to end this cycle of suffering? I worked part-time over 4 months to pay for this laptop. It's been adding so much stress to my life going through this. I'm a senior student doing Aerospace engineering. I sleep very little and my workload is insane. I have no time for any of this nonsense. Any recommendations?

February 15th, 2019 06:00

Seriously, It was easier to deal with auto insurance when my car got stolen...

Does Dell have a policy as to how many times they can try to repair a laptop? Every time i send it in for repair, they fix one thing and damage something else. Every time i send it in, i find new scratches; i don't like scratches on a laptop i paid $1,800 for. 

68 Posts

February 15th, 2019 21:00

Hi Eli,

Thanks for confirming what many of us are experiencing with this **** laptop.
You should be able to get a refund - I don't see why not. I've spoken to a number of Dell techs, and yes they are absolutely clueless - I would go as far as to call them low level Dell apologists.

I understand your frustration - I was using the laptop occasionally for video editing, a few light games and 3D modelling/compositing. Performance has been nothing but abysmal. Most of this boils down to driver and BIOS issues that Dell is too slack to fix.

They may have also started crippling laptop performance to hide serious thermal flaws. For example the university I work at recently sent out an urgent warning, asking that all staff appointed Dell laptops be returned for evaluation by IT services over fire concerns.

Good luck with the Aerospace engineering, I hope you find a good replacement that is up to the task!

10 Posts

March 21st, 2019 15:00

I'm having excactly the same issues as @JDownloader I'm a web designer, and just a simple image carousel lags like **bleep** in the browser. I started to use throttlestop (IntelXTU not doing anything for me) which intermitently helps, but not at all a reliable solution. Sometimes it has good results, and then after a whule just crashes or doesn't seem to impact anymore. As @JDownloader mentioned, the fans are not coming on nearly enough, and the temp is so low (GPU, CPU & MB don't exceed 50 celsius), but with completely useless Clock Speeds. Desperately need a solution, we need you guys over at Dell to stop dragging your feet on this issue, it's the latest flagship model for God Sake! Opened a support ticket nearly a month ago. Not a single reply. Jumped on to live chat, and got hung up on because I was not currently in the country where I purchased the laptop. Why did I pay the extra £100+ for dell support/insurance? Installed the Dell update and Support Assist. They keep crashing and are also a total waste of time. Really getting red in the face here. Let alone the killer wifi card that drops to 1mbps from 20 by just moving to my bedroom 5 metres away. Have to keep the door open to have any connection at all. Been patient, but now it's 6 months later and no issues are resolved with Bios, drivers or whatever the **bleep** it is that is making this laoptop impossible to use.

Look at the joke of a bench mark score from Throttle Stop, bearing in mind the best result was 8 secs.tsbench.PNG

And for further reference, after turning off Throttle Stop, and setting values to default in XTU and running a stress test, getting the following.

default.PNG

The "Current Limit Throttling" is permanently on Yes, even when test is not running. And during test, Core Frequency and Cache Frequency both stuck at 0.9 and 0.8 GHz respectively. As you can see, temp is always at 50 celsius.

Furthermore, after a simple -0.145v offset to core and cache in XTU, slightly better results, but still very poor.

offset.PNG

Please help!!!

1 Message

March 21st, 2019 16:00

Been 'teaking" this super slow XPS15 for weeks, trying everything mentioned on this thread and others, drivers, bios, 3 fresh installs, driving me nuts.  

old: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15656014

opened it up "again" today and swapped the SODIMMs A into B, etc...

YMMV

edit: I did unplug the battery when I swapped the SODIMMs

10 Posts

March 21st, 2019 17:00

Terrible results. Tried your tool out and it's just depressingly bad to see. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15666245 I had 0 apps running while performing the test, including closing the browser. Disgustingly poor. You're method however of swapping the memory card slots is a fluke I think, as I have the 32 GB ram model so both slots are used. Furthermore, this test was run after uninstalling the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework as @JDownloader had suggested trying. Made no difference for me. If I hear nothing back very soon I'm sending this machine back for a full refund and goodbye forever Dell

10 Posts

March 21st, 2019 18:00

Just contacted Dell support again on chat

dellCapture.PNG

Call the number, answer the robots questions, and then "sorry we're closed" 

Go back to chat....

Capture.PNG

Poor service on every level

3 Posts

April 10th, 2019 13:00

I had this laptop for only 7 days now. It's been crashing every couple of hours for no reason, just by browsing Google and listening to YouTube videos. I reinstall everything, updated drivers to latest version and updated the CMOS to 1.8. I didn't crash so far last 24 hours.

But I'm having these huge GPU Intel spike for no reasons. They last about 60 seconds and completely slow down my laptop. I bought the best version of the XPS 15 i9 32 gigs of RAM.

My old laptop 9 year old would perform a thousand times better.

Reading comments here I don't feel like calling support.

I'm sending this machine back for a full refund and done with Dell.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2019 14:00

Like this, ex.jpg

April 24th, 2019 20:00

Half the problem I am sure is all the bloatware they shove onto their computers.  My computer wont even use the Nvidia card because it seems to want to use that other garbage they added.  Same thing with the Killer Wireless.  Its just pure shyte.

April 24th, 2019 20:00

My second computer within a couple of months.  I thought it was a fluke but now I see it is Dell. I have the i9 8th gen with 2TB and it is so fracking slow.  Its ridiculous.  I think I am giving up on Dell.  Sad.  Used to be a decent company but now its just junk :(  I will be sure to be returning it and I only got it a few days ago.  I learned my lesson last time not to wait too long.  30 days and then you are scewed unless you raised holy **bleep** like I did (every time they offered support I said I wanted to return it but they kept stalling me.  This time I am going to be smarter.  Dell get your ish together.  Shame my time has been wasted twice now.  Very unhappy.

May 11th, 2019 06:00

Hey folks, I've also been having issues with this laptop and I'm convinced its thermals related. I've gone as far as to replace the thermal paste with liquid metal and, while it's made a huge difference, there are still thermal issues.

Here's my benchmark result (with liquid metal) - it looks like everything is reasonable excluding the GPU which is under-performing hugely.

The main issue I have is when temperatures rise for a sustained duration. I've noticed that while GPU usage and CPU usage may be low (liquid metal fixed the problem where GPU clock speeds would dip frequently), frame rates still dip & stutter substantially. I suspect there is another component (power delivery maybe) which is overheating and causing system instability.

May 13th, 2019 15:00

I wish I saw that thread, before buying the laptop couple of weeks ago... I also updated everything to the latest version (bios 1.10.1), and **bleep** that laptop is slow (my 5 years old Intel M5 is not far behind)! On the top of that my battery is dying within less than 3 hours (FHD screen and GPU disabled, as it's not working anyway).

I'm sending it for repair, but the best I can hope for is that they don't scratch the laptop. 

How can they be so bad?? Seriously, it's unbelievable, it's not a $500 piece of equipment... 

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

May 15th, 2019 22:00

May 23rd, 2019 10:00

I have been using this laptop 4 days. And the Geforce GTX 1050 Ti it is performing very very bad, even when i adjust video settings to the minimal (or off if possible).

here are my My bechmark results

No Events found!