Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

68 Posts

September 15th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15-9570, performance has tanked

Hi Alan,

I have been troubleshooting poor performance on an XPS 9570 without much luck the past 2 weeks. Drops of up to 80% performance in games (from 150fps to 15-30fps) V-sync does not fix the issue, makes it worse. Terrible performance with Adobe video editing applications. 

To answer your questions:

a) Yes exact same games, same Adobe applications.

b) AC power

c) Updated to windows 1803  (I believe this is could be the problem!) :Hmm:

d) Updated to BIOS 1.3.1 for XPS 9570 (again possibly the problem!) :Hmm:

e) Yes, I've tweaked everything to maximum and set all apps to use Nvidia GPU.

f) No faults detected. I tested with the recovery image and then updates (from Dell site) no change.

Also

I wiped the laptop back to the factory image from the recovery partition. This didn't fix anything... even with the old drivers. It was working fine when I first received the laptop, had no performance problems. The fact this is no longer the case with the original factory image is puzzling! I suspect the recent BIOS update is the issue.

Other issues include, videos stuttering for the first few seconds or when the cursor is moved. Videos not up-scaling correctly on YouTube (You can see a pixel-like grid on 1080p and lower) When you move the cursor in full screen videos appear smoother and up-scaled. When the cursor and play-bar dissapears videos lag for a few seconds and you can then see a grid/rough edges as the videos aren't up-scaling.  

Lastly both the Intel and Nvidia GPU are under load at the exact same time under the performance monitor. The GPU switching might be broken, causing all these issues. I re-installed the Intel Thermal Dynamic Platform driver and even rolled it back, but had no luck.

For the laptop to suddenly drop in performance by 5x is beyond thermal throttling. The only other explanation I can think of is a hardware fault if not the BIOS or Windows update. A number of people have reported these faults over the past few weeks.

Please send this to the system engineers/software devs so we can get this fixed ASAP!

1 Message

June 7th, 2019 01:00

Hello,

i have the same problem with my dell XPS 15.

it stucks under 800 Mhz and i tried everything (battery, software installation...)

nothing changes.

no one have a real solution for that problem?

1 Message

June 7th, 2019 02:00

I have the same issue. The PC worked perfectly for about a year and a half, and about 4 months ago suddenly started tremendously lagging. I've noticed that is simply stopped accelerating when i try to perform demanding acts.

Any chance this will be fixed soon ?

July 25th, 2019 09:00

Hi everyone, Employ these steps. (1) Set Dell Power Manager profile to "Optimised". Windows battery profile to Best Performance. (2) Disable speed step in BIOS. Stick to BIOS 1.2.2 if possible. (3) If you have Intel XTU installed, revert all settings to default and uninstall that pos software. (4) Install throttlestop (if not already done), and enable Intel speedshift + EPP at "0" (Zero). Ensure that turbo boost is not disabled. Disable speedstep in throttlestop. I suggest setting it to "0" when running intensive applications, and setting it to "128" otherwise.

August 16th, 2019 02:00

Tried all that. I cannot even use Photosop properly with a completely clean system .. performance keeps dropping constantly. I've had 2 XPS so far, this is definately my last one.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2019 17:00

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/b2e7jm/xps_9575_always_power_limit_throttling/

Followed directions in JoshC0711 comment, was able to fix the problem with cpu and gpu throttling.

1 Message

February 8th, 2020 11:00

Had the same issue with BIOS 1.15.0 and latest Drivers from Dell and the same from NVidia.

What helped:

* First of all I was testing the results for every change in Dell Support Video Stress Test - the issue was 100% reproducible and BSOD came after ~5 minutes (it's better than playing some game and waiting for 15 minutes)

* I've disabled all Startup Apps in Windows 10 (steam, skype, etc.), not sure it matters

* I've uninstalled drivers in Save mode with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

* I've installed latest (feb-03-2020) drivers from NVidia site (not Dell) BUT Studio version

(If I installed Game version it was still causing BSOD)

* Didn't install Game Experiences (don't know if it matters), only Drivers and PsyX

Please note: when I install Dell latest drivers from their site, they were a little bit old (Dec-2019) and what's strange Windows couldn't find GPU in tests and in games I had 20-40 FPS where usually I have 150)

I hope it helps.

No Events found!