Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

June 15th, 2020 17:00

XPS 15 9570, randomly restarts, #2

After a couple of days that my warranty expired (June 12, 2020), my Dell XPS 15 9570 started rebooting randomly. It's a very odd coincidence, and I've been having the computer for a year now.

It shuts down whenever I'm doing something heavy duty like rendering a video and having a couple of other programs open. I have throttlestop set at -140 volts and have had it like that for a while and until now everything was fine.

I've ran the diagnostics and everything is OK. I've tried downgrading the thermal framework to the one that's suggested in other threads, which is this one, but it says my computer is not compatible. The XPS 15 9570 is not on the "Compatible Systems" list. I'm worried this constant restarting will ruin my SSD and my external hard drive.

If anyone has been able to fix this please let me know.

Thanks

2 Posts

June 15th, 2020 18:00

Edit: it also shuts down when I'm not doing anything intensive. It just happened again a few minutes ago while I was using excel.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

I had this issue for IDLE, not under load though. The fix for me was to disable c-states in the BIOS. This will somewhat reduce battery life, but it is my understanding the c-states allow the OS to further undervolt your CPU when idle to stretch battery. This is causing the CPU to be unstable when performed on top of the overall undervolt applied with ThrottleStop.

I know there are some c-state related settings in throttlestop, but I do not know what they provide or how to use them. Perhaps someone else could provide some insight.

No Events found!