Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

8 Posts

July 1st, 2020 20:00

XPS 15 9570, shameful performances

I bought the XPS 15 9570 almost 2 years ago on September 13, 2018. The 1 year warranty I purchased expired 10 months ago on September 15, 2019. After talking to a bunch of DELL people about the thermal throttling issue this product is renown for. They told me that the issue has been resolved and I would not have to deal with it. Well, that turned out to be pretty wrong. 6 months ago the laptop started giving general lag problem, gaming slowly became impossible. But that was not a big deal as that's not what I need the laptop for. I thought I was just overusing it, many chrome tab concurrently open, so I thought that keeping less processes open at the same time would help, but the conditions keep getting even worse, up to this point where the laptop is pretty much unusable unless all I need to do is some basic stuff which is definitely not my case. Right now, I can't even watch a video full screen that the whole systems lags and hitches really bad. So far, all I was able to understand about these problems:

1. Randomly the CPU speed drops to .78 GHz, that of course makes the PC unusable
  2. When (1) happens the 3D statistic of the "Intel UHD Graphics 630" graphic card bursts at 100%
  3. When (1) happens the 3D statistic for the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design" is pretty much stable at 8%
  4. If I assign the NVIDIA GPU for the task I need to perform, the 3D statistic gets distributed a little better (the problem in (2) still persists but less frequently) but the laptop gets so hot that after a couple minutes it suddenly hibernates without being able to use it.
  5. The temperature of the laptop in these cases is extremely high, so I really suspect it's thermal throttling

I remember saving money for such a big purchase (for me, of course) considering it as an investment, believing it would "pay off" one day. As a master student in computer science I do everything on my computer and especially in this period it is extremely important to define even the next steps of my career, that is why I decided to invest on this top tier product. As of right now I am left with a terrible product, that instead of making my life easier it just makes everything so much worse. I am very disappointed, because I had high expectations but the experience has been overall pretty bad. And I can't wrap my head around the fact that to even get this thing checked, I need to spend hundreds of dollars, that as an international student I don't have, maybe just to get it temporarily fixed. I really hope somebody could help because to me this whole situation does not seem right.

Thanks for your time.

July 3rd, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Did you find any solution to get the PC running normally from .78 GHz ?

Thanks

8 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 18:00

Unfortunately not, I was suggested to restore the OS to a previous snapshot, but still didn't have time to try it. I will as soon as I can. Are you experiencing the same problems by any chance?

July 12th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the experience, I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with the laptop for the past 2 years now with the same XPS 15 9570.

Fan noise, high temperature, and since 6 months the famous 0,78GHz problem.
I did a full reset 3 times since it started but the problem is still there (even though my laptop was hacked and used for something else like mining or so...). I unplugged the battery, went to the bios settings etc. Up to date, still have the problem and no solution. There seem to be a lot of hardware and software flaws on Dell XPS 15, and probably the graphic split with Intel GPU and NVidia Graphic card is source of a lot of troubles.

Also, Dell bots like to remind you in MP that the warranty is over. Feeling also very disapointed with this purchase because I spent a lot on it.

Good luck anyway

2 Posts

August 11th, 2020 15:00

Exactly! They're after more money and not solving any of this problems. Having the same issues with 100% interna gpu ussage and 0% nvidia gtx1050ti.

8 Posts

September 15th, 2020 14:00

A little update on this. I've been trying to understand what could cause the laptop to slow down that much and I realized that it was coming from a (pretty nasty) adware (I wasn't able to localize it using any anti-virus). So you might want to consider any ad blocking software. It made a huge difference for me.

Let me know if that helps you as well. 

September 15th, 2020 18:00

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.

8 Posts

September 15th, 2020 20:00

Yes, I think I did. My problem was an adware farming me I guess. Consider installing any ad blocking software. Chrome has a very nice extension. 

2 Posts

September 16th, 2020 00:00

I had a 9560 and had the same problem. Finally figured out the solution after a lot of trouble. The problem started after a BIOS update. Just google this problem and its quite a common issue for that model. 

My Solution: 

1) Firstly, get your fan vents checked up. If you live in a dusty area, the vents get clogged resulting in high fan noise.

2) Get your CPU pasted checked up. Use Intel XTU app to monitor the performance. After a while you will know if there is a heating issue. If the temp is higher around 68-70+ deg Celsius continuously even when on low usage, then that is a thing to get fixed.

3) Main Thing - Use Throttlestop software. The CPU drops to 0.78 MHz due to the Intel Speedstep technology. This tech - a software control - is baked into every Intel CPU. It monitors CPU heat through sensors on the motherboard and when the heat goes higher than a certain threshold, the speedstep kicks in. This wrecks the performance. In my 9560, the BIOS updated this temperature to around 81 deg C - which was frankly retarded! Earlier it was close to 91 deg +.  Once this temp was reduced, the CPU would go down to 0.78 Mhz, every other minute frustrating me tremendously. What Throttlestop does is avoid that issue, but keep your CPU safe!

Here is a link to the Throttlestop Tutorial. Use Wisely.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThrottleStop-Primer.213140.0.html

My suggestions:

1) Disable Turbo - This increases heat tremendously, but gives little boost to performance. Disabling this helps the CPU to run better longer

2) Goto FIVR and on the right hand side Disable Power and Turbo Lock Limits. This may ask you to install some driver which should go ahead and do. What this does is basically remove the temperature checks. But by disabling Turbo, you will be keeping the CPU safe anyway. 

3) Don't touch anything else in the page! There is no need to undervolt which many guides refer to. Doing that will help though, but it can get complicated. 

This will give you the CPU good performance . It will never go down to 0.78 Mhz anymore. I am using this technique for over 6 months now without any issue. Am a heavy Photoshop and Lightroom user with occasional games and never had an issue so far!

Add Throttlestop to Startup using this method:

https://www.repairwin.com/how-to-start-throttlestop-at-windows-startup/

Keep monitoring your CPU using Intel XTU - Extreme Tuning Utility. 

Good luck! 

Hari

September 16th, 2020 06:00

I have a blocker and the computer has been refreshed at the service center. It was new and the problem was there. So my problem seems to be different... unfortunately, it is not simple. 

September 16th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

You are so kind to have taken the time to explain this in details. I downlaoded TechPowerUp. For the time being, the temperature is low: 56 degrees. I'll monitor that today and see if it could be the source of the problem, but i doubt... Because there is a lag actually when i write and the temperature is ok.

This computer has this problem since i bought it in january. It's not a dust problem. It went to the service center twice and came back with the same problem. On the battery, there is no problem at all... 

September 16th, 2020 14:00

So annoying... Those machine are so expensive, it's frustrating. 

The temperature is low, i tried to turn off turbo, but it doesn't change a thing. I know that it was to get the temperature low, but still. I try everything. 

I unplug and work on the battery and everything is fine... Dell know but it seems that they don't understand either.

chantelaine_0-1600291264886.png

Thanks again for your help!

8 Posts

I don't know what do you use your PC for and how much comfortable you are with messing with your PC, but installing ArchLinux as dual boot made a very very big change. But that's if you know what you are doing. Alternatively, Ubuntu should still work perfectly and avoid all of those Windows shenanigans that interact with the Dell machine in the way we experience. 

8 Posts

So when I say it's better I don't mean it's like new. Still watching a live stream makes my whole PC lag pretty bad. But the overall performance got really better for me. I'm sorry you are still dealing with that. I wish we could get more support on this as it's pretty frustrating.

September 16th, 2020 17:00

I am not comfortable with Linux. I use my computer mainly for work. 
thanks for the advice!

No Events found!