KumaHIME
1 Nickel

XPS 15 9570 slow download on wifi

I am experiencing some relatively bad download performance with the XPS 15 9570. i highly doubt it is the Killer 1535, since i am getting much better download performance, with the same upload performance as my older MSI GS60 with a Killer 1525 card. I have gigabit internet, and its a real shame i can barely use the download speed that should be accessible.

Here are the speed tests i have done with their respective results on both machines (I also included a Dell Precision 3520 with an Intel 8265 wifi card):

7759883917Dell XPS 15 9570 (Killer 1535)7759889125MSI GS60 (Killer 1525)7759944812Dell Precision 3520 (Intel 8265)

I should be able to get much more download performance than what I am currently getting, with the existing Killer 1535 card. All devices were updated (drivers and windows) prior to the speed test. All devices are running Windows 10, were tested in the exact same spot, testing was done sequentially, only using 5GHz band, no other computer was taking up bandwidth. Router is an ASUS RT-AC66U. The slow speed is especially annoying because i have an SMB2 storage server, and transferring files takes 2-3 times as long as the other 2 machines. Also, i posted the best result for each computer, but the XPS 15's wifi downstream performance is inconsistent. Most of the time, i get under 200mbps.

I'm half tempted to take the Killer 1525 out of my MSI GS60 and put it in the XPS 15 9570 to see what happens :/

EDIT: i would also like to add, since Killer wifi cards seem to have a bad name for themselves, for the 4 years i have owned the MSI GS60, i have not had a single issue with the Killer 1525. It has always performed very well and reliably so.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPS 15 9570 slow download on wifi

Hi KumalHIME,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is a post from the Forum with reps from killer networking responding that may be helpful.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
JBed
1 Copper

Hi Robert, I'm experiencing the same slowdowns. All other devices in my home (even the $50 Amazon Fire) are experiencing 120+ speeds (up and down - I have fiber). My Dell is averaging 10mbps down! HUH? How does this work? I've read in other forums that removing SmartByte doubled their speeds but I don't have the downloaded on my laptop. Please help because I work from home for a web-based software engineer company and I just got this laptop and the speeds are killing me! Dell XPS 15 9570 Signature Edition Intel Core i7-8750H 32 GB RAM Thanks
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi JBed,

Thanks for responding to this old post.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please run the systems diagnostics like Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages and post back.  If there are none, then it could indicate either a software or driver issue.  Sometimes just removing the driver, shutting down the computer, then turning it back on and letting the native drivers reinstall helps.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge base you may find helpful:

Connecting and Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Dave_101
1 Copper

I am facing similar issues. This is incredibly frustrating!

Only bought this XPS in December and it's been a wifi rollercoaster fron day one! 

0 Kudos