Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

November 18th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9570, unable to detect external monitor

Hello! I've recently purchased the Dell XPS 15, and I'm stuck with the problem of it being unable to connect to any external monitors. I'm using an USB-C adapter, and while I'm unable to use both the VGA and HDMI ports for the adapter, my friend (who is using a Dell XPS 13 9360) had no problems connecting to the external monitors. My laptop can't even detect the external monitor. However, whenever I plug in the adapter, there is a sound, and the USB-C adapter works just fine for any other purpose besides projecting to an external monitor. I'm wondering what is the problem here, since I've updated all the drivers and tried everything there is out there (e.g. changing the BIOS settings). Could someone let me know what is the matter here? I'm not sure what information I'm supposed to include here so if someone could guide me along that'll be great!

• 

16.7K Posts

November 19th, 2018 09:00

rosevests,

* What specific USB-C adapter cable?

* What specific monitors?

* Explain in detail, "I'm using an USB-C adapter, and while I'm unable to use both the VGA and hdmi ports for the adapter". The 9570 has no vga port so what are you meaning here? 

Explain how you are connecting the laptop to the monitors and the monitor types.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I agree it would be helpful to identify the specific adapter you're trying and ideally test another adapter on your system just to see what happens, even though I see you've already tested that adapter on another system.  The only drivers that would come into play for video output through a USB-C adapter would be the Intel Graphics drivers.  USB-C ports provide a regular DisplayPort output signal for video (in addition to USB 2.0 and 3.1 data paths for other functions of the adapter), so the system will just see the display connected through an adapter as a typical DisplayPort connection.  However, the fact that you're trying VGA and HDMI on the adapter implies that the adapter has a built-in chip to convert the system's DisplayPort signal to HDMI or VGA, so that might not be functioning as expected for some reason on the 9570.  But other than making sure your GPU drivers and system BIOS are current, there isn't anything to set up or configure for display output through a USB-C adapter.  So if it's not working, it's either an issue specific to that system model and that adapter model, or possibly a hardware issue with your specific system.  I'm guessing the former, since this type of incompatibility has been known to occur even though all of this is supposed to be standardized, but the latter is technically always possible, which is why I asked if you had another adapter model to test with.  Or if you have a basic USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI adapter or cable, that would at least confirm that USB-C video output works on your system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@DELL-Jesse L wrote:

rosevests,

* Explain in detail, "I'm using an USB-C adapter, and while I'm unable to use both the VGA and hdmi ports for the adapter". The 9570 has no vga port so what are you meaning here? 

Explain how you are connecting the laptop to the monitors and the monitor types.

He means that he can't use the VGA or HDMI outputs on the adapter.  I suspect the OP is using an adapter somewhat like the Dell DA300, which connects to the system's USB-C port and provides a variety of display output connector types.

January 14th, 2019 19:00

I have unpacked my new 27 inch Dell monitor and Dell xps15 2 in 1...connected it all up...and had exactly the same problem. I've tried the usb c to usb adapter, and the usb c to DP adapter (had to buy it) but the monitor still doesn't detect any signal. The bios has been ungraded and all updates done. My old Dell latitude can connect to the new monitor via HDMI but because the new Dell only has usb c, an I have to use an adapter. Did you have any resolution/joy? I have talked to Dell and they want to send a tech around to swap out the mainboard. Seems excessive but I'll run with that solution if that is all that there is.

January 14th, 2019 22:00

Got a result although it cost some more $. Went a purchased a USB 3.0 C to DP adapter but that didn't work (remembering that the xps 15 came with a type C to type A adapter and that the Dell U2719D monitor came with a type A to USB upstream cable which didn't allow a connection to the monitor either), but purchasing a USB 3.0 type C to HDMI cable did the job. A lot of running around and lost time but happy in the end. Typing on my new xps 15 right now. Cheers.

No Events found!