Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 15:00

XPS 15 9570 will not connect USB for MTP file transfer

I have been fighting with my XPS 15 9570 for a couple months now trying to get it to connect to either a Galaxy S9 or a Galaxy S9+.  Both phones will connect to any other PC I have tried.  I can also easily connect an iPhone to this Dell.  Something about the combination of these phones and this computer are not working together.  I have tried all of the basics up to and including a fresh Windows installation.  I believe the issue may be the USB 3.1 drivers but I can't find anything I can do about it.  I've tried contacting Dell but they told me the problem would require paying for support.  I guess a brand new $2000 laptop doesn't come with good support without paying.  I'm sure the problem is not the phones or the cables.  I've tried using every USB driver I could find on-line and every Samsung driver I could find.  Any other PC connects instantly without additional driver installation.  Does anyone have any ideas what I could do short of waiting for a software patch someday?  I have found a couple others on-line with a similar issue but none of them have resolved the issue.  I believe one person was able to use a USB hub between the PC and phone to get it to connect.   I have gotten the phone to connect once or twice but it is very rare.  Usually Windows explorer is nearly locked up when I connect the phone.  Any ideas anyone?

489 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 01:00

Try different USB cables. I've had MTP connectivity issues with a different phone - it would charge but not MTP connect. Found it was very picky with USB cables. 

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 14:00

I've tried several. None work with this PC but work fine with any other PC.  Thanks though.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 15:00

Well I have finally found a work-around.  I picked up a $6 USB hub.  I connect the phone to the hub and the hub to the Dell.  It works great but this is an awful solution to get a $2000 laptop to talk to your smartphone.

1 Message

October 27th, 2018 09:00

I have the same problem. But if you have a USB-C 3.1 cable, and connect the phone from the xps15 USB-c port, it will works.

Dell need to fix the USB driver issue with Samsung S9 or S9+

November 6th, 2018 19:00

Hi I'm having this same issue. Has anyone figured out a different solution? I have been tinkering with drivers and have successfully been able to get the USB A ports to communicate with my phone at the rated speed. But it only works 10% of the time. The other 90% it will just charge off the laptop. The connecting "jingle" will play but there is no message for what you want to do with the device. Nothing in file explorer either. I have also found that with another successful connection it had been really slow and actually caused windows explorer to lock up and I needed to end the task and start a new one. This whole situation seems very sketchy to me and I really just don't understand how such a universal standard can be messed up to this degree. 

1 Message

December 26th, 2018 07:00

I have the same problem with my Samsung S8 and XPS 15 9560. I haven't managed to fix the problem with anything I found on the internet. Only thing that works is connecting through the USB port on the Dell docking station connected to the laptop. This is a really frustrating problem, never going to buy another Dell laptop.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 27th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for reaching out to us on Dell Community forum. We see that you are unable to connect your Samsung S8 mobile for MTP file transfer on Dell XPS 9570 directly. However, it works if you connect a docking station to the system.

Please share the following details.

- BIOS version (F2 during startup)

- Connect the phone to different USB port to check if the issue persists.

- Connect the phone to Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port using a compatible cable to check if the issue persists.

- Install ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver using this link: https://dell.to/2Q3ZfUBand check if the issue persists.

- Ravi

6 Posts

July 24th, 2019 22:00

I have the same issue with a GoPro Hero 7 Black.

- If I connect the GoPro to the XPS with the GoPro OEM cable (USB-C -> USB-A), the XPS makes the sound for a USB device being connected and portable device (named MTP USB device) appears in Device Manager, but it's not possible to access the GoPro.
- If I use the same setup, but add a USB hub between the GoPro and XPS, the GoPro is instantly recognized and can be accessed.
- The GoPro is also recognized if I use a USB 3.1 cable (does not matter if its USB-C -> USB-C or USB-C -> USB-A).

Contacted Dell Support and they are unable to provide a solution.

A couple of things to note here:
1) The GoPro and cable are working fine in ALL OTHER computers
2) All the USB ports on XPS work with everything else I connected (mouse, keyboard, USB drive etc.)
3) The GoPro cable works with other devices when connecting to XPS
4) Both the GoPro and XPS have all available latest updates installed

The most important thing - I tried this on 4 different XPS 9570 and none of them recognize the GoPro.

I do hope this info gets forwarded to the XPS development team and that we get a solution to this, as this really is ridiculous.

6 Posts

July 24th, 2019 23:00

I have the same issue with a GoPro Hero 7 Black.

• If I connect the GoPro to the XPS with the GoPro OEM cable (USB-C -> USB-A), the XPS makes the sound for a USB device being connected and portable device (named MTP USB device) appears in Device Manager, but it's not possible to access the GoPro.
  • If I use the same setup, but add a USB hub between the GoPro and XPS, the GoPro is instantly recognized and can be accessed.
  • The GoPro is also recognized if I use a USB 3.1 cable (does not matter if its USB-C -> USB-C or USB-C -> USB-A).

Contacted Dell Support and they are unable to provide a solution.

A couple of things to note here:

1. The GoPro and cable are working fine in ALL OTHER computers
  2. All the USB ports on XPS work with everything else I connected (mouse, keyboard, USB drive etc.)
  3. The GoPro cable works with other devices when connecting to XPS
  4. Both the GoPro and XPS have all latest updates installed

The most important thing - I tried this on 4 different XPS 9570 and none of them recognize the GoPro.

I do hope this info gets forwarded to the XPS development team and that we get a solution to this, as this really is ridiculous.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2020 07:00

It's 2020, and have same problem here.

I have GoPro Hero 8, and none of USB-A ports are working on my XPS 15 7590.

And my other 3 PCs work well with the GoPro.

I have no idea how come over $2000 laptop doesn't work for just simple USB connection.

It doesn't look like that DELL takes this seriously, huh.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2020 07:00

It is a shame that the GoPro OEM cable does not work with the XPS for whatever reason.

But as stated in my previous post, the "simple workaround" is to use a USB 3.1 cable.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for the work-around. But I doubt that the cable was the cause of problem, since it works other 3 PCs without any problems. If the driver or chipset is picky for cable, I would say it’s the driver or chipset’s problem.

But I know I have no choice. I have to try with other cable sigh.

February 15th, 2020 10:00

I couldn't get my laptop to connect to my phone despite using the manufacturer supplied USB cable that worked on a number of other PCs and laptops. I spent hours on drivers and internet searching.

As a last resort I tried a 3rd party cable and it connected straight away.

So my experience says - even if teh cable works elsewhere, try something different

Good Luck

No Events found!