XPS

Last reply by 01-03-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 15 9575 2-in-1, going to sleep/shutting down

Hey all, I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 for college, for obvious reasons as the XPS lineup is supposed to be reliable and I need it for college. However, this laptop has been very unreliable in one aspect.

While I'm working on it, it will RANDOMLY shut off and go to sleep, and I have to wait about 30 seconds before pressing the power button actually wakes it up. My hand will be nowhere near the power button, and sometimes it'll happen when I'm watching a show, so my hands are nowhere near the laptop. Often times, my white webcam led light will turn on, stay solid, and turn on and off until my laptop finally wakes up. 

The strangest thing? When I check event viewer on Windows, it says the reason for it going into low power/sleep mode was a power button press, which is definitely not true. 

It gets even worse. Since I use this for school, on rare occasions it will go black, and won't turn on at all. The webcam light comes on again, but pressing the power button does nothing (my keyboard is the first thing to light up when I turn the laptop on, which doesn't happen after this shutdown). I have to wait about 5-10 minutes before pressing the power button shows any sign of life, which is the fans turning on at medium ish blast. I see the Dell logo, however the screen is really dim and for some reason the keyboard is still not lit. After the Windows loading ring finishes the laptop turns off again. Finally after a few minutes, the charging status LED turns on and off a couple of times, and my Windows Hello IR lights flash on with me suddenly being on the login screen. This is HORRIBLE as if this happens in class while taking notes I will be royally screwed and this is unacceptable for such an expensive laptop. The weirdest part? On the event viewer, it just says the last shutdown was unexpected. There's nothing about a possible cause for it on there anywhere.

I haven't changed anything except for the storage since getting this from Best Buy, but this problem was happening before the storage swap. It isn't a thermals issue either as far as I know, as the laptop always hovers around 40-45C when it's on. I've had this since July, but I believe the warranty is still there. What do I do? I can't have this happen so often.

Replies (10)

well, one thing is foor sure. i am never buying another dell product. 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions