Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

October 29th, 2018 17:00

Update: issue seems to include battery life... I'm running move mouse (https://github.com/sw3103/movemouse) to keep system from going asleep and otherwise have little running save only a chrome browser, outlook, skype and my battery dies at 3 to 3.5 hours (in "battery saver" mode even).

1. So now I have trackpad issues;
  2. Above requires me to kill driver for Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics, so I can use trackpad, but means I lose driver features;
  3. Battery life @ 3.5 hrs max.

System is 1 week and 3 days from delivery. Hate to go thru return process, but looks like it is a must. Will forgo the 2 in 1 and try the 9570 model on account of bigger battery and different video card. Really wanted this one to work as I thought I might enjoy 2 in 1 feature and preferred the usb-c ports. 

Oh well.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2019 10:00

So I think I have finally actually solved this issue. Here is what I discovered.

1. Had the issue and thought a Bios update had fixed it. Problems started happening again a few days later.

2. Had the motherboard replaced by Dell because it was still under warranty. This fixed the problem completely for months.

3. A number of months later had the screen replaced due to bright white led bleed through of some sort on the screen. After screen replacement the problem cropped up again. This made me suspicious of the connectors. Maybe something was loose from the tech replacing the screen. I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to issues like this.

4. I take apart the laptop and find that the ribbon clip for the trackpad connector does not snap in very securely and the ribbon appears loose. I carefully re-seat the ribbon and firmly close the clip then close the laptop back up. Haven't had issues in over a week where as I use to have issues every day.

My conclusion is the ribbon clip is slightly defective and the ribbon cable does not stay firmly seated. Hopefully it will for a while because re-seating it is a bit cumbersome. I would not be surprised if you handle the laptop a little roughly it can jostle loose on it own. Hope folks find this helpful. Love the laptop but a little surprised Dell and their tech support haven't figured this out. You can find videos online about opening up this laptop and removing battery. From their the ribbon clip is very accessible.

1 Message

August 15th, 2018 23:00

I have been getting this problem lately as well. 

19 Posts

August 16th, 2018 04:00

my problems are a bit more serious, but can you try to disable panel self-refresh in intel app power settings?

thanks!

4 Posts

August 16th, 2018 18:00

Sure, I'll try it out and report my experience soon.

August 17th, 2018 03:00

Hi, I have the same problem with my XPS 15 2-in-1 9575
The touchpad and some keys are freezing  after an  updating (I Think) :(
Somebody have found a solution?

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 09:00

I have the same issue. Looks like a problem with the last bios update. No solution yet. 

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 09:00

Try going to device manager-> display adapters. I have a Radeon RX Vega graphics card. Right click and hit “update driver”. I updated the driver and haven’t noticed the trackpad issue since. Not to say that it won’t show up again, but so far so good. 

16 Posts

August 17th, 2018 17:00

I tried to update the graphics card (searching automatically) but I have the latest driver. Have the same trackpad freezing as well.

I also remote desktop to work from this PC, and the trackpad freezing is even worse when I am working on my remote computer (it freezes up on the remote, and it freezes up on my Dell too).

Very frustrating, especially since this is a new laptop I have only had for about a month.

3 Posts

August 19th, 2018 09:00

I've been having this problem for weeks and it is infuriating. This thread is the first indication I have seen of others having this problem. So glad to finally learn it's not just me. Dell support wants me to send it in for a new touchpad, but I'm in college right now and I can't go without this thing for the couple of weeks that it would take for a new pad. Plus, it is probably a software (bios) issue anyway. I am also inclined to believe this happened because of an update, as I've had this computer since launch and it only started happening a few weeks ago.

2 Posts

August 19th, 2018 19:00

I have the same issue today.  Purchased the computer Friday, ran all updates, and this evening the touchpad stopped working.  At first it was just intermittent but then it went out completely and starting bringing up cortana(possibly registering touch & go gestures?)  Restart got it moving again, but it's still glitchy.  

August 20th, 2018 07:00

I am experiencing the same problem. Good to know it's not just me. I tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers and asa last ditch effort I disabled all power saving features to see if it was trying to power it down. None of these fixes worked. 

Hopefully there's a software fix for this as I would rather not have to send my laptop in.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2018 09:00

Disabling panel self-refresh didn't seem to change my problem of the touchpad freezing. I still had the problem occur occasionally.

1 Message

August 20th, 2018 10:00

Yes same here. Seems to be an update that has killed the trackpad. Very frustrating indeed!

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 09:00

I've been having the same issue with my 9575. I flashed the bios to the previous version (1.1.5), but I am still getting the track pad glitch. Sometimes I get a keyboard issue where when I type it registers input as if the Windows key is being held down. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

No Events found!