wsonner69
1 Nickel

XPS 15 96570 Camera placement is absurd

The camera is pretty much useless  as it take pictures of my gut and double chins.  Why did you place it on the bottom of the screen??

5 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 15 96570 Camera placement is absurd

It's been something that every reviewer of the XPS 13 since the 9333 and XPS 15 since the 9550 has called out.  But those same reviewers also comment about how nice it is to have such thin bezels along the top and sides of the display, both in the visual experience while using it and also because it allows the XPS 15 to have the footprint of a typical 14" laptop and the XPS 13 to have the footprint of an 11" laptop.  There simply isn't a camera that fits in a bezel that thin, so it seems Dell figured that the people who would appreciate a thin bezel and unusually small footprint would outnumber the people who use a webcam frequently (or at all) and would therefore find that placement annoying.  I think they're exactly right about that, and I would bet the numbers aren't even close.  As with most things in life, you can't optimize for everything.  This is just one of the many tradeoffs that occur in design all the time.

0 Kudos
AnneTemple
1 Copper

I AGREE!  In fact, I just received my return label.  It is going back.  I do a couple of video conferences a week and this is unacceptable.  They tried to give me $100 off.  Doesn't solve the problem. 

diegocam
1 Copper

I just bought this for my wife not realizing this issue with the camera. She hates the camera there as she does conferences weekly. Will be returning it. Dell: please change this for you next model.

Clarke1
6 Indium

I am not bothered with the camera placement, but I agree - It has been pointed out in EVERY review. But in reality, every modern mobile phone is having the same problem and there is no "everybody-is-pleased" solution. And Dell started pushing Bezel-less much sooner, and it's the reason I fell in love with XPS 9560
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I don’t see this getting solved unless cameras can be drastically miniaturized while maintaining similar quality and cost, or else until transparent displays make it into laptops and the camera can then be placed behind the display, possibly with some clever software to digitally “cancel out” the effect of the display content located directly in front of the camera so that it only captures the real world space “beyond” the display. Or maybe the display could flicker at an imperceptibly high rate and the camera could also capture exposures at a very high rate between those display flickers. But I don’t any of that happening in the immediate future. 

0 Kudos