Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2019 01:00

XPS 15-9750 with PM951 Windows 10 Pro 1809 to 1903 Upgrade Problem

Dell Support Assistant showing all drivers up to date. Current version on Windows 10 Pro is 1809 build 17763.504.

When upgrading to Windows 10 1903 get error message "AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe mode. A driver is installed that causes stability problems on Windows. . . . . ."

The only AMD hardware in the configuration is "AMD-RAID PM951 NVMe SAMSU SCSI Disk Drive" with a Microsoft driver version 10.0.17763.1 dated 21/06/2006

Device Manager under Storage controllers also shows:

AMD-RAID Bottom Device

AMD-RAID Controller (storport)

Anyone know of updated drivers for PM951 (OEM drive therefore expect Dell to provide updated drivers)?

Any other suggestions?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 19th, 2019 01:00

Hi all,

For anyone also experiencing this issue, the following article explains how to resolve the issue by updating the Toshiba drive controller for the drive.

More info can be found here -

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln319413/windows-10-cannot-install-1903-update-with-certain-versions-of-amd-raid-drivers?lang=en

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 16th, 2019 06:00

Hi @HamptonNorth 

According to Microsoft themselves the 1903 update isn't compatible with AMD Ryzen products. It recommends updating to AMD latest RAID driver directly from AMD and once completed restart the update process.

More info can be found at the following links - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4504107/cannot-install-may-2019-update-on-computers-running-certain-amd-raid

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-may-2019-update-not-installing-on-some-amd-systems/

Alan

July 17th, 2019 03:00

Thanks for this response. I tried downloading and installing the AMD-Raid NVMe drivers. My Intel based XPS fails with a "not and AMD system" type message. This was one of the first things I tried.

Eventual solution involved using another working Win10 PC and creating:

1. new Win10 iso (build 1903) using Microsoft Tools.
  2. downloading all relevant drivers from Dell site (27 in total) to USB

Going back to XPS-15

1. clean install using ISO prepared above. This created working Win 10 system but with no WiFi or USB-c hub support (no ethernet - therefore no internet access. Hence downloading all drivers above to USB!)
  2. Manually installed all drivers

Long winded and frustrating but now have up to date clean system. 

Have now created Win 10 recovery USB!

1 Message

July 17th, 2019 07:00

Have the same issue. But don't want to rebuild my system

Anybody else found another workaround?

July 18th, 2019 06:00

Having looked at drivers, the Win 10 re-install has changed some of the details and hopefully this may help pinpoint the underlying issue:

From the original before successful upgrade Windows Device Manager view there were 3 entries with "AMD ..... " something:

1. Disc drives > AMD-RAID PM951 NVMe SAMSU SCSI Disc Device
  2. Storage Controllers > AMD-RAID Bottom Device
  3. Storage Controllers > AMD-RAID Controller [storport]

After successful upgrade to Win 10 1903 build Windows Device Manager shows:

1. Disc drives > NVMe PM951 NVMe SAMSU - (driver version 10.0.18362.1)
  2. Storage Controllers > Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller - (driver version 15.7.5.1025)
  3. Storage Controllers > Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller - (driver verision 10.0.18262.1)

No mention of "AMD ...." 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 18th, 2019 06:00

@HamptonNorth thanks for the update. It's sad to hear that you had to resort to a full clean install, I had hoped that drivers alone would have fixed the issue.

Alan

2 Posts

September 4th, 2019 16:00

"...after successful update..."  How?

Having the same issue.  I get the AMD Ryzen driver error with no apparent way to get around it.  It's an Intel machine so no AMD drivers will install.  Why would it think this is AMD?

Thanks.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2019 23:00

Allan,

So that makes sense and all for AMD systems.  Why on earth are we getting this on an Intel based Dell laptop?

Can't seem to get any answers to this so at this point I'm going to have to go the full-install route.  What a pain.

If there is a way to disable the AMD drivers (as they are not driving anything on this system) and successfully use software update to get 1903, it would be great to know.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2019 06:00

@dyarza this is a Microsoft issue rather than a Dell issue. It would appear the only solution so far is to go down the clean install route.

Were you trying to update Windows when you received this error?

Did you run command | update to ensure the system was fully up to date before updating to Windows 1903?

Alan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 07:00

Didn't work for me.

What did work is that I manually installed AMD drivers from the official website:

AMD RAID Driver (SATA, NVMe RAID)

Do NOT download the installer, just the DRIVER package.

After download, I unpacked the zip file and entered all 6 driver folders and installed the .inf files by right clicking and choosing "Install" from the context menu:

RAID_NVMe\rcbottom\rcbottom.inf

RAID_NVMe\rccfg\rccfg.inf

RAID_NVMe\rcraid\rcraid.inf

RAID_SATA\rcbottom\rcbottom.inf

RAID_SATA\rccfg\rccfg.inf

RAID_SATA\rcraid\rcraid.inf

2 Posts

February 25th, 2020 00:00

I just created a account to say thank you @Anonymous ! The "solution" put forward by Dell couldn't work for me but yours did

2 Posts

January 30th, 2024 23:37

@Anonymous​ I also want to say thank you.  This is the only solution that worked for me.  The Dell and Microsoft solutions resulted in messages saying I don't have an AMD product.  Props!

No Events found!