Avishai1b
6 Indium

XPS 15 | Extra memory extra battery

Hey,

I own a DELL XPS 15 9550 for two years now.

I would like to upgrade my SSD from 256GB to 1TB SSD, what is the process?

• What chip is recommended the most?
  • What is the process if replacing? (without losing data)

and secondly, battery drains pretty quickly, is there any better battery I can buy?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 15 | Extra memory extra battery

Any M.2 2280 drive will work - NVMe or SATA.  You'll want to image your current system to an external hard drive (Macrium Reflect is a good tool to use), and then boot the system from the Reflect recovery media you create, and restore the image.  NVMe is faster;  SATA is cheaper (you'll likely pay upward of $600 for an NVMe 1T drive;  SATA will be half that).

There are two battery sizes - 56 WHr or 97 WHr.  If you have a 2.5" drive in the system, you're limited to the former;  if you have M.2, you can use the larger capacity battery (your setup screen will show which you have).  At two years old, you're likely seeing a battery near the end of its lifecycle -- particularly if the runtime is gradually decreasing.

0 Kudos
Avishai1b
6 Indium

Thank you for the detailed answer!

I think I will order the NVMe 1TB by Samsung, as for the battery: I am not sure how to check what battery I can pruchase and also where can I buy?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Call Dell and ask for "Spare Parts" for the battery.  In the US, it's 1-800-357-3355.

0 Kudos